Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car oil change intervals

Car oil change intervals

Old Mar 21st 2015, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road
Default Car oil change intervals

This has been bugging me since I moved here. In the UK, cars I've owned always had service intervals of 10,000 miles or more. Here in Ontario, 5000 to 6000 kms seems to be the norm. I was told by someone in the oil industry that it's nothing to do with the lubricants or additives.

Is this something to do with climate, or just a blatant rip-off?

I do most of my own oil changes, and I use synthetic with superior life so I can avoid trips to the dealership every 4 or 5 months.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car oil change intervals

Originally Posted by JimboV6
This has been bugging me since I moved here. In the UK, cars I've owned always had service intervals of 10,000 miles or more. Here in Ontario, 5000 to 6000 kms seems to be the norm. I was told by someone in the oil industry that it's nothing to do with the lubricants or additives.

I do most of my own oil changes, and I use synthetic with superior life so I can avoid trips to the dealership every 4 or 5 months.
Just a rip off
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're very harsh on your vehicle with work and constant running in cold temperatures (or you have a high-strung performance vehicle), just stick to what you're used to in the UK
Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Unless you're very harsh on your vehicle with work and constant running in cold temperatures (or you have a high-strung performance vehicle), just stick to what you're used to in the UK
Unless your vehicle has a Warranty or a vehicle that tells you when it needs servicing (which isn't always just set to a fixed time or mileage).

Mind you, for $30-$50 it's almost a no-brainer...

Also 'what you're used to in the UK' might not be appropriate - some European cars have oil change intervals of over 20,000 MILES...

Last edited by withabix; Mar 21st 2015 at 6:08 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimboV6

I would take advice from an old serving mechanic who has lived there all his life. It is different in the different CLIMATES. So perhaps you do have to change it earlier.

Oil is cheap so do it frequently.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Just because it is recommended doesn't mean you have to do it so why let it bother you?
Old Mar 21st 2015, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I go by the manufacturer time frame of 3 months or 5,000km as the car is under warranty and I don't wan't to give them any reason to deny a claim under the warranty should something happen. I am sure the oil could go longer as it never looks dirty and looks the same at the end of the 3 months or 5,00km but why give them a reason to deny a warranty claim?

Once the warranty expires, I may push the intervals a little longer, not like the conditions in this region are harsh, no long periods of cold or hot weather.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by colchar
Just because it is recommended doesn't mean you have to do it so why let it bother you?
Erm, it kind of does for most people. That's why it bothers me. Because I don't believe them but feel compelled to do as I'm told by the 'experts'.

Regardless, it's 3 times shorter than in the UK and seems excessive. I 'd like to understand the logic behind it (if there is any). Then I will understand if
it is recommended for the good of the vehicle, or for the profits of the dealerships.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I go by the manufacturer time frame of 3 months or 5,000km as the car is under warranty and I don't wan't to give them any reason to deny a claim under the warranty should something happen.
What manufacturer demands oil changes every three months? I thought six months on the Forester was short.

Edit: BTW, this is apparently what happens when you don't change the oil for 84,000 miles:

http://i.imgur.com/cq0vsgP.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledin...an_oil_change/

Last edited by MarkG; Mar 21st 2015 at 6:18 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:32 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

We do both cars when the clocks change.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
What manufacturer demands oil changes every three months? I thought six months on the Forester was short.

Edit: BTW, this is apparently what happens when you don't change the oil for 84,000 miles:

http://i.imgur.com/cq0vsgP.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledin...an_oil_change/
I was off by 1 month. It's 4 months. It's Mazda.

Chapter 8 page 6 Schedule 2.

http://www.mazda.ca/MciWeb/pdf/manua...Edition1_E.pdf

The US gets to go every 6 months unless the driving conditions meet specific criteria listed, but Canada is grouped as one into Schedule 2 for a more frequent oil change.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

not long to go then
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 12:38 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, if it's a new car, with warranty, then I'd follow the recommendations. Must like any kind of insurance, if there is a way for them to wriggle out of it, they will.

Canada is classed as a "severe weather" climate, hence the lower time / kms between services.

If I had a car that wasn't in warranty, then I'd be less picky about it. I had a subaru impreza in the UK, and they were meant to be a bit funny being sporty and all that. It was also a grey import, and modified (yes, I know, I know ). I was somewhat sloppy and only got it serviced once a year and it held up well. I did have friends who were seriously anal about serving times and they did grimace when I mentioned how infrequently I maintained it.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Here in Cyprus we change oil every 3 month and service every year. UNLESS the vehicle is used excessively. It gets very hot in june to sept. In Saudi Arabia we changed the oil every month. Oil change was also the oil filter.

Horses for courses
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

On the topic of extreme temperatures, one thing to consider with the new direct injection engines is that they have a reputation for getting fuel in the oil, which reduces lubrication. That's OK in the summer, because the oil gets warm enough to boil off the fuel, but, if you're just driving a few miles through town each day at -20C, it won't. So changing the oil at some point in the winter may not be a bad idea with newer cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.