Reload this Page >

Car insurance - UK No claims bonus in Calgary

Car insurance - UK No claims bonus in Calgary

Old Sep 15th 2012, 3:05 am
Just Joined

kiwiparks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance - UK No claims bonus in Calgary

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, myself and my family have just moved to Calgary from the UK. I went to get car insurance today and was told that my 22years experience and full no claims bonus wouldn't count here. Does anyone know of any insurance companies in Alberta that will accept my driving experience and no claims bonus?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance - UK No claims bonus in Calgary

Originally Posted by kiwiparks
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, myself and my family have just moved to Calgary from the UK. I went to get car insurance today and was told that my 22years experience and full no claims bonus wouldn't count here. Does anyone know of any insurance companies in Alberta that will accept my driving experience and no claims bonus?

Welcome to Canada!

Email Cindy on <snip>- she is great - they took our no claims into consideration and we got a good deal too. She's very prompt too.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 15th 2012 at 6:11 pm. Reason: Sorry, but email address removed to save Cindy from the spambots! Pls only share it via PM.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Give Johnson insurance a call as well
http://www1.johnson.ca/

They take no claims into consideration too
Old Sep 15th 2012, 12:13 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

It's not no claims they want it's "accident free"

Diferance being in the UK you can have no claims protected, even if a claim is claimed. The insurance company here will req a letter from your previous provider stating that you have been accident free for x a mount of years.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Hello Kiwiparks and welcome to the forum.

Check out this thread, it has some names of people/car insurance companies in Calgary that can help you out.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770973

Im moving to Calgary in two weeks too!
Old Sep 15th 2012, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

shaunew is an unknown quantity at this point

go to www.sharpinsurance.ca they work with some insurance companies that give full credit for driving in the UK.
The phone number is 403-590-2008 extension 113
Old Sep 15th 2012, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
It's not no claims they want it's "accident free"

Diferance being in the UK you can have no claims protected, even if a claim is claimed. The insurance company here will req a letter from your previous provider stating that you have been accident free for x a mount of years.
this isn't true of Alberta, insurance here is pretty much exactly the same principles as the UK, according to my broker.

They took my previous certificate of insurance which stated 4 years NCB, and my green counterpart as proof of no convictions.

They also insured me on my UK license until I'd managed to find an apartment and change over to an AB Operators license!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 4:26 am
Just Joined

kiwiparks is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your help, will definitely follow up on the suggestions!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kiwiparks
Hello,

As i like you had nearly 30 years of no claims in the US. I spoke to my insurance agent here in the States he sent me a copy of my Insurace that shows no claims. Also went onto the DMV website here in Virginia and got a copy of my driving record which you can view and print for a small fee. My agent told me that if the roles were reversed he would want to see insurance and driving record from the UK. Hope this helps.

John
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

cherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant future

Intact accepted our no claims, but we didn't go direct with them, we went through a broker. I just supplied a copy of my UK insurance renewal, which stated the total years no claims, to the broker and that worked out fine.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future

just out of curiosity...what if you have like 15 years no claims and then say a recent (2 years ago) bump on a car park where it was 50/50 will they not consider the 15 years at all because of the bump?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelic applicant
just out of curiosity...what if you have like 15 years no claims and then say a recent (2 years ago) bump on a car park where it was 50/50 will they not consider the 15 years at all because of the bump?
i would say that if you're in a province which wants proof of no accidents, rather than proof of No-Claims then you might have trouble
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:19 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by haggis88
this isn't true of Alberta, insurance here is pretty much exactly the same principles as the UK, according to my broker.

They took my previous certificate of insurance which stated 4 years NCB, and my green counterpart as proof of no convictions.
That's actually not true. The reason you got away with it is because the broker or the underwriter didnt understand the difference between no claims and no claims discount. Protected NCB doesnt really exist in Canada, so it's not a concept they understand.
Insurers here, in any Province, only care about how many claims you've had.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:20 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angelic applicant
It depends. Quite a few companies now include "First accident forgiveness" where they'll basically ignore the first claim so that it doesnt affect your premium. If you have another claim though.....
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:20 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
It depends. Quite a few companies now include "First accident forgiveness" where they'll basically ignore the first claim so that it doesnt affect your premium. If you have another claim though.....
+1

We were claims free for over 20 years. OH had a minor, at fault, fender bender and our insurer, RSA, forgave the claim and our premium was not affected. Had we had another at fault claim, then we would be dinged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.