Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance, St John's NL - Extortionate!

Car Insurance, St John's NL - Extortionate!

Old May 16th 2013, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

BC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant future
Default Car Insurance, St John's NL - Extortionate!

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help us. We've been in Newfoundland for just over two weeks now and want to buy our own car so need to arrange car insurance. We've had quotes from a couple of companies and they are ridiculously expensive! $4500 when my husband has been driving for 30+ years and I've been driving for 20+ and have 12 years proof of no claims.

The companies so far are saying that as we've only just got Newfoundland driving licences, they need to treat us as though we've only just passed our tests!

Can anyone recommend any insurance companies for us to try? Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks
Old May 16th 2013, 4:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance, St John's NL - Extortionate!

Originally Posted by BC-Roo
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help us. We've been in Newfoundland for just over two weeks now and want to buy our own car so need to arrange car insurance. We've had quotes from a couple of companies and they are ridiculously expensive! $4500 when my husband has been driving for 30+ years and I've been driving for 20+ and have 12 years proof of no claims.

The companies so far are saying that as we've only just got Newfoundland driving licences, they need to treat us as though we've only just passed our tests!

Can anyone recommend any insurance companies for us to try? Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks
That sounds pretty much standard for newcomers.

Did you read the wiki article about bringing confirmation of no claims and a clean licence with you? There are literally dozens of threads on the subject, if you search on BE.

I know several people have used Johnsons or else Aviva or else TD.
Old May 16th 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

Insurance sucks for Newcomers. Plain and simple
Old May 16th 2013, 4:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Welcome to The Rock. I've been here getting on for 9 years and we still pay $2400 or so for two vehicles. Cheap, it ain't.

Try Action Insurance Brokers http://www.actioninsurance.ca/ 738 2228. We deal with Georgina there and have found them to be the most competitive. Johnsons are also worth a try. You should be able to get some recognition at least for your NCB / Claims record in the UK.
Old May 16th 2013, 4:39 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Try Aviva - they accept previous good driving history.

http://avivacanada.com/efab/find_bro...x/language:eng
Old May 16th 2013, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

BC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant future

Thanks guys

We will try Johnsons, Aviva and Action Insurance Brokers. And thanks for the welcome Atlantic Xpat
Old May 16th 2013, 4:52 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

. And thanks for the welcome Atlantic Xpat
You are welcome. Anything you need help with about life here in the Far East don't hesitate to ask. PM me if needed.

Kinda curious though, how did you end up coming here as my impression from your other posts was that you were looking at the other side of Canada?!
Old May 16th 2013, 4:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

As I mentioned, also try TD as they have been lower on occasion without proof of no-claims than some of the other companies mentioned.

Old May 16th 2013, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You are welcome. Anything you need help with about life here in the Far East don't hesitate to ask. PM me if needed.

Kinda curious though, how did you end up coming here as my impression from your other posts was that you were looking at the other side of Canada?!
Thanks, I'll take you up on that.

We were initially looking to move to the west but we just couldn't find the job opportunities and then a great opportunity came up here Loving it so far (apart from the ridiculous car insurance).
Old May 16th 2013, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
As I mentioned, also try TD as they have been lower on occasion without proof of no-claims than some of the other companies mentioned.

Sorry Siouxie, I meant to mention that we tried TD and they were one of the ones in the $4500 range because we've only just got NL driving licences
Old May 16th 2013, 5:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Thanks, I'll take you up on that.

We were initially looking to move to the west but we just couldn't find the job opportunities and then a great opportunity came up here Loving it so far (apart from the ridiculous car insurance).
Glad to hear it.
Old May 16th 2013, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

msocmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Wawanesa (we use them through a broker) our insurance for 2 cars with only one of us with proof of no claims (I lost mine after being a named driver only whilst living in France) is less than $1500 per year. Good luck with the hunt
Old May 16th 2013, 8:22 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Strange. We have always paid about $1400 for two cars since we arrived on TWPs 6 years ago.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:47 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Strange. We have always paid about $1400 for two cars since we arrived on TWPs 6 years ago.

Same here and that was driving on a British license.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

+1 for Johnson

Got the usual silly quotes in the thousands, even had some snot nosed little madam ask me what do you expect you are just a beginner So the million odd miles I have done accident free dont mean anything???? Ok... I took my novice business elsewhere!!

I have an 09 Altima 2.5 SL fully insured for $792 with Johnson