British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Car insurance recomendations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/car-insurance-recomendations-843872/)

jkgtr Sep 25th 2014 3:36 pm

Car insurance recomendations

Hello there folks

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for car insurance companies to use that are willing to take on board UK no claims proof?

Are there any companies that know when you call what you are talking about right off. I haven't been looking yet as i have just recently landed and my wife who is Canadian has been chauffeuring me around ;) but i would like to get on my own insurance sooner rather than later to build up some discounts in Canadian terminology.

thanks in advance

Steveh27wp Sep 25th 2014 4:12 pm

Re: Car insurance recomendations

Originally Posted by jkgtr (Post 11418380)
Hello there folks

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for car insurance companies to use that are willing to take on board UK no claims proof?

Are there any companies that know when you call what you are talking about right off. I haven't been looking yet as i have just recently landed and my wife who is Canadian has been chauffeuring me around ;) but i would like to get on my own insurance sooner rather than later to build up some discounts in Canadian terminology.

thanks in advance

Seems to me that you should tell us which province/city you live in.If it's BC then there is only one insurance company to use for your basic cover.
Steve

jkgtr Sep 25th 2014 8:40 pm

at the moment i am in Ontario, possibly moving to Alberta though

Siouxie Sep 26th 2014 4:58 am

http://www.melochemonnex.com/en/car-insurance

dbd33 Sep 26th 2014 11:16 am

Originally Posted by jkgtr (Post 11418713)
at the moment i am in Ontario, possibly moving to Alberta though

If you do move don't tell the insurance company until you have AB plates. There's a hefty addition charge for driving a vehicle plated in a different province.

SchnookoLoly Sep 26th 2014 1:43 pm

We are with TD Insurance, their rates were way lower than anyone else we spoke to... by a factor of about 45%!

Siouxie Sep 27th 2014 3:11 am

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11419505)
We are with TD Insurance, their rates were way lower than anyone else we spoke to... by a factor of about 45%!

+1 (Melochemonnex link above is TD), for house insurance too.

:)

nativenewyorker Sep 27th 2014 4:45 am

We saved a big amount of money with Canadian Direct for car insurance and BCAA for house insurance.

haggis88 Sep 27th 2014 7:43 am

If you do end up in AB, give me a PM and i'll send my guys details...

he's managed to beat all my GFs families renewals and was able to accept my UK NCB and license too (didn't get the same discount a 5yr NCB Canadian would have had, but still saved me over $3000)

Arty Sep 27th 2014 1:35 pm

Hi we used Johnson Insurance fantastic company,who accepted my 10 year plus no claims discount from Direct Line.Remember to get a letter from your insurer back in the UK stating your name and the named drivers on your old policy with the amount of no claims years.
I bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe and have full insurance for $1098 for me and my wife,TD wanted to charge me $1780.

Arty & Co

jkgtr Sep 28th 2014 2:50 pm

thank you for all the info

very helpful!

balUK Sep 29th 2014 4:50 pm

Hi Guys, I am in a similar situation as jkgtr. I moved to Canada a year ago and spent most of my time in Montreal. Now moving back to Calgary and planning to buy a car soon. I have eight years no claims discount from the UK. However, out of curiosity I checked on TD website for a quote. Unfortunately, it only asked me North American license details which I obtained last year. So with one year old Alberta license (34 years of age), no accidents, no claims, my quote on a fictional Audi A4 (used 2008 model) is $2,500 dollars. To me it sounds too much. How did you guys managed to provide details of the UK driving history on the TD website?

SchnookoLoly Sep 30th 2014 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by balUK (Post 11422349)
Hi Guys, I am in a similar situation as jkgtr. I moved to Canada a year ago and spent most of my time in Montreal. Now moving back to Calgary and planning to buy a car soon. I have eight years no claims discount from the UK. However, out of curiosity I checked on TD website for a quote. Unfortunately, it only asked me North American license details which I obtained last year. So with one year old Alberta license (34 years of age), no accidents, no claims, my quote on a fictional Audi A4 (used 2008 model) is $2,500 dollars. To me it sounds too much. How did you guys managed to provide details of the UK driving history on the TD website?

We picked up this nifty thing called a telephone, and then we SPOKE to someone! Like, a real human being! We explained our situation, and they gave us an answer! It was pretty surreal. :eek:

:)

angeljaye Oct 1st 2014 1:59 am

Hi, we used Belair for our car and home insurance when we arrived. Great price, payable annual or monthly and accepted our UK no claims discount without any problems.

Fred16 Oct 15th 2014 5:43 pm

Who wants a laugh..State Farm wanted $7,000 for a Ford Edge....we are in out middle-late 40's. Still laughing now