Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which Car Insurance? - please help!

Which Car Insurance? - please help!

Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

saz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Car Insurance? - please help!

Originally Posted by gengo
That sounds like a decent deal for Toronto. I would really appreciate it if you could let me have the contact details of your broker.
I went with a company called ensureco based in markham, they can help I'm sure.good luck!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:06 am
Just Joined

gengo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gengo
That sounds like a decent deal for Toronto. I would really appreciate it if you could let me have the contact details of your broker.
Just thought I should share this with everyone. Since I last posted, I got auto insurance for a 2006 330i from TD Insurance Meloche Monnex for $2200, which I think is a great result for Toronto. I have no prior Canadian auto insurance history (except for the occasional rentals). I have over 5 years no-claims history in the UK but the insurer didn't insist on seeing the letters - it was all done over the phone after I obtained an online quote. I have home insurance with them which probably should have helped bring down the premium a bit.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:20 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Some insurance companies ask for DVLA records. The way we got hold of ours was via this DVLA website, see last paragraph:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/data/reli...?keywords=date
Old Apr 1st 2011, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Clarkserino is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

This thread is provinf very helpful with a few companies to try for car insurance.

Did anyone whoi has posted on here get their first Canadian insurance with no uk evidence? If so, who did you go with and roughly how much?

Any help greatly appreciated, I don't think my OH and I can take only using public transport and lifts from friends and family much longer!!
Old Apr 1st 2011, 2:32 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clarkserino
Hi,

This thread is provinf very helpful with a few companies to try for car insurance.

Did anyone whoi has posted on here get their first Canadian insurance with no uk evidence? If so, who did you go with and roughly how much?

Any help greatly appreciated, I don't think my OH and I can take only using public transport and lifts from friends and family much longer!!
I don't think we provided much in the way of UK evidence, we went with ING which is now Intact I think, but we are in Alberta and things are different here.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clarkserino
Hi,

We didn't provide any UK evidence - went with State Farm - cost I think was about $4000 for two drivers, two cars. Other quotes were in excess of $6000 - this was in 2004.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all

I know this one has not been posted on for a while ... but in case anyone in the GTA is looking, I have just got a really good deal on car insurance from:

J. W. Davis Insurance Brokers
Tel: 905-822-9660
Fax: 905-822-9925
Toll Free: 1-877-593-2847

I am still in the UK sorting this ... have an at fault claim on the UK insurance record, but was still able to carry some no claims over, and the price was half the next nearest quote ... very competitive (not against UK of course - but against other Canadian quotes to date)

Added to the fact that Paula the broker was unbelievably helpful ... even passing me to other brokers for other firms to see if I could get a better deal! I found some of the companies other had mentioned good contacts (Johnsons would probably have been great had I not had a claim ... they didn't want to know when that came up - said they could not compete with an earlier quote $1000 more than the one I have ended up with!) so maybe this will help someone out there as well!

Pick up the vehicle next week now ... leaving tomorrow from Manchester!! New life here I come!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Madhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to all

We went with Desjardins Direct. Did not provide any UK insurance history or letter from the DVLA. Just over $2500 for 2 cars,2 drivers, fully comp (or whatever its called here) and the 'trouble-free' option (hire car after an accident, accident forgiveness, breakdown cover, etc). I thought it was a good deal, then read this thread. Now I think its great deal, especially as we found that some insurers wouldn't even consider us without a letter from the DVLA!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Just to continue this thread on. I landed in Nova Scotia complete with my driving record history from the DVLA and confirmation of no claims from my insurance company. I was then entitled to level 3 insurance, whatever that means. I decided to go for just liability only and got this for $529.