Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance, No claims HELP!!!

Car insurance, No claims HELP!!!

Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

aaron34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance, No claims HELP!!!

Hi all, I have finally got my twp and i am moving to Edmonton on thursday the 22nd jan!. I already have a car in edmonton, (bought today) my gf brother is a mechanic in edmonton! I wanted to know if any canadian insurance companies reconise my uk no claims discount ??
Thanks for your help in advance !!!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:08 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance, No claims HELP!!!

Dont think so. We even had letters from our UK insurers confirming no accidents etc, good clients!!! It didnt even help when one of the Canadian quotes was from Sun Alliance, the same insurer we had in the UK.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:34 am
Im strange but not scary!

city4 is a jewel in the roughcity4 is a jewel in the roughcity4 is a jewel in the roughcity4 is a jewel in the roughcity4 is a jewel in the rough

I used Johnson insurance to insure me in Mississauga, ON (pretty sure there nationwide in CANADA) they recognized my UK no claims, saved me about $1700!!!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aaron34
Hi all, I have finally got my twp and i am moving to Edmonton on thursday the 22nd jan!. I already have a car in edmonton, (bought today) my gf brother is a mechanic in edmonton! I wanted to know if any canadian insurance companies reconise my uk no claims discount ??
Thanks for your help in advance !!!
What you need is a letter from your UK insurers showing how long you have been insured with them and how many "at fault" accidents you had during that time. No-claims bonus letters are likely to be a waste of time as Canadians don't understand what that means.

HTH
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:13 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by city4
I used Johnson insurance to insure me in Mississauga, ON (pretty sure there nationwide in CANADA) they recognized my UK no claims, saved me about $1700!!!
Same here.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:30 am
AB Realtor

Stophie is on a distinguished road

We used Canadian Direct for our 2 cars, who were by far the cheapest quote. In fact, when they linked the 2 policies, they reduced my premium another 27% as they said we shouldn't have to pay on both policies for one driver having had a recent (2006) claim. Worth bearing in mind if you are in a similar situation...
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

We have just bought a car today and got it insured (an 05 Honda Civic). The insurance woman said that we need to get a full 8 years worth of letters from UK companies we have been insured with, stating how long we were insured for, any accidents and any insurance claims. 'No claims bonus' letters are useless.

We forgot to take our letters along :curse: and insurance just cost us $2700 Now we have a form to fill in and letters to provide so we can at least claim some of our cash back.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:41 pm
AB Realtor

Wow, Canadian Direct didn't ask for anything so lengthy - they wanted proof of 3 years. Have just checked, and they serve Alberta & BC.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:51 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

write to your previous insurers and get letters stating that you did have insurance with them and for how long.....don't just get the no-claims bit, as for basically a reference........i've done mine for the past twelve years and all replied with 'both' a reference and no-claims.....

this is a standard letter that i wrote to all of them, hope it helps......

24th October 2008

Dear Customer services

Re: Insurance policy no‘s. *********

I am writing to you, to inform you that I am emigrating to Canada in the near future and I am requesting from you a letter of reference to hand onto my future insurance provider in Canada. The Canadian’s require proof of insurance for a nine year period, so I am asking for your help with this regard.

I would like a reference stating how long I, ********, have been with you, my ‘no claim’s history’, my credit worthiness with you and my promptness of payment to you.

If you could do the reference at your earliest convenience, that would be much appreciated.

With many thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely

Last edited by gibsonslanding; Jan 20th 2009 at 3:54 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

aaron34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help, that letter was fab and canadian direct and tesco,s sorted everything out via fax, canadian direct started me on +8 stars !! wicked!! $800 fully comp on my new sienna minivan !!!!!
Soo looking forward to tomorrows flight !
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:19 pm
AB Realtor

Great! Good luck in Edmonton!