Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance and licence points

Car insurance and licence points

Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

PandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant future
Default Car insurance and licence points

Hi

I am living on ON under permanent residency card, and just recently got caught for speeding. Unfortunately I got caught under the new 50kph and over law, but I fought it and the best offer I have is $2000 fine and 6 points on my licence.

Not great I know.

What I want to know is whether anyone knows what I can expect to have to pay for car insurance now, with those 6pts on my licence, and whether there are any (reputable) insurance companies that deal with exactly these kinds of issues and work to keep your insurance as low as possible.

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance and licence points

Originally Posted by PandG
Hi

I am living on ON under permanent residency card, and just recently got caught for speeding. Unfortunately I got caught under the new 50kph and over law, but I fought it and the best offer I have is $2000 fine and 6 points on my licence.

Not great I know.

What I want to know is whether anyone knows what I can expect to have to pay for car insurance now, with those 6pts on my licence, and whether there are any (reputable) insurance companies that deal with exactly these kinds of issues and work to keep your insurance as low as possible.

Thanks
Insurers in Ontario pool bad risks into something called the Facility Association. That results in pretty much the same quote from any company. Unless you have some compelling tie to Ontario, and I can't imagine what that might be, I think it's time to move on.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:24 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think it's time to move on.
At least he'll be able to move on quickly.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:33 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Insurers in Ontario pool bad risks into something called the Facility Association. That results in pretty much the same quote from any company. Unless you have some compelling tie to Ontario, and I can't imagine what that might be, I think it's time to move on.
To be placed on "Facility" you have to be refused insurance by your insurer, at which point no other company will take you on, for the OP this has not happened yet.

I've been there through no fault of my own, too many claims (four minor, two our fault and two vandalism) in a two year period of time the early 1990's. Insurance company said we were too high a risk and refused to renew policy.

If placed on facility expect the rates to quadruple at least and stay that way for at least four years.

Moving on is unlikely to help either if the OP does end up on "Facility" the insurance companies keep a national record of this kind of thing.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
To be placed on "Facility" you have to be refused insurance by your insurer, at which point no other company will take you on, for the OP this has not happened yet.

I've been there through no fault of my own, too many claims (four minor, two our fault and two vandalism) in a two year period of time the early 1990's. Insurance company said we were too high a risk and refused to renew policy.

If placed on facility expect the rates to quadruple at least and stay that way for at least four years.

Moving on is unlikely to help either if the OP does end up on "Facility" the insurance companies keep a national record of this kind of thing.
I wasn't suggesting that he move on within Canada.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:15 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't suggesting that he move on within Canada.
Aaah see what you mean now.

I was tired when I wrote the above, not been well lately.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Aaah see what you mean now.

I was tired when I wrote the above, not been well lately.
Sorry to hear that.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:20 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

$2000??!! Jeez, can they really fine you that??
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
$2000??!! Jeez, can they really fine you that??
As a fine it seems fair enough to me. I'm not trying to be a goody two shoes and I don't always drive at the speed limits, but 50 km/hour over the limit is bordering on reckless. I wouldn't want someone driving at 100 kms/hour down my street

If the fine is OK, then the fine plus a de facto ban by insurance does seem to be over the top.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:54 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As a fine it seems fair enough to me. I'm not trying to be a goody two shoes and I don't always drive at the speed limits, but 50 km/hour over the limit is bordering on reckless. I wouldn't want someone driving at 100 kms/hour down my street

If the fine is OK, then the fine plus a de facto ban by insurance does seem to be over the top.
Fines and insurance are of course separate issues, the fine is a penalty for breaking the law and insurance is about risk. A vehicle going at 50kph over the limit is more likely to be involved in an accident. Unless premiums reflect risk, high risk drivers put up rates for low risk drivers, as well as being at increased risk to cause harm to others, hence the new ICBC penalty system. Saying that we are still waiting for ICBC to put in place a premium reduction for low risk drivers!!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

As a fine it seems fair enough to me. I'm not trying to be a goody two shoes and I don't always drive at the speed limits, but 50 km/hour over the limit is bordering on reckless.
It depends where you are. The limit on the 410 is 100clicks, the traffic in the evening goes at 140 so anyone overtaking is likely 50clicks over. I've driven along the 410 at 100mph which is 60clicks over without being a threat to anyone. Highway 10 north of the 410 is a six lane road with a limit of 80, when I got a ticket for doing 120 there the cop told me that his gun is set to 110 so I should stick to 105; there was no suggestion that going at 120 is in any way dangerous so I don't suppose they'd see 130 as dangerous either. Those are roads on which are built to support reasonably high speeds on which the limit is inappropriately low.

Going at or above the speed limit on a residential street is another matter entirely, $2000 seems a reasonable fine for going at 60mph through a street hockey game.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
A vehicle going at 50kph over the limit is more likely to be involved in an accident.
I don't know that the police or insurance companies think that. The usual line is that faster cars do more damage when they crash, rather than that they are more likely to crash.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Saying that we are still waiting for ICBC to put in place a premium reduction for low risk drivers!!
Ha! Hell freezing over comes to mind.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

It depends where you are.
That is fair enough. Road conditions and other drivers are probably likely to cause accidents as much as absolute speed.

I guess we drive slower out here. The two major highways through the Lower Mainland are mainly 4 lane (2 each direction) and have speed limits up to 100kph. 120 seems to be the accepted cruising speed. Someone driving at 150 would be dangerous because they would be weaving in and out of traffic.

150kph is about 94mph? That might interest the motorway police in the UK, though many people drive faster. Here, it might be safe enough on the straight stretches if there was no one else around, but the roads are rarely empty.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

That is fair enough. Road conditions and other drivers are probably likely to cause accidents as much as absolute speed.

I guess we drive slower out here. The two major highways through the Lower Mainland are mainly 4 lane (2 each direction) and have speed limits up to 100kph. 120 seems to be the accepted cruising speed. Someone driving at 150 would be dangerous because they would be weaving in and out of traffic.

150kph is about 94mph? That might interest the motorway police in the UK, though many people drive faster. Here, it might be safe enough on the straight stretches if there was no one else around, but the roads are rarely empty.

Ontario has blanket limits, 100 for motorways, 80 for other roads. The typical traffic speed on the 401/QEW is 125 or so which would be ok except that there's no lane discipline at all, no concept of it. No one car leaves a car length between them and the car in front because, if they do, someone moves sideways into it. It's horrible. When it's raining or snowing it's both horrible and frightening. Tomorrow I shall drive on the M25 and delight in the uncrowdedness and mannerly driving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.