Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance...is it that high?

Wikiposts

Car insurance...is it that high?

Old Jul 2nd 2004, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ksct97
Thanks for that... off to google to see a man about a license...
Quebec will swap a UK licence for a Quebec one without testing so it's as easy as going to an office and swapping them over.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Dr. Who is an unknown quantity at this point

I was with LIBERTY MUTUAL and this is what they did to me.

We had a water leak on the carpet but no problem we were insured, but can you believe that because the stain was in a doorway they said this was two claims (because they insure each room seperately). We had to pay two deductables!

Three years later we had a minor brakage in the home so we called them to just see if it was covered - they said it was not - so we did not submit a claim. We then got a letter cancalling our home and auto insurance because we made 3 claims in three years. I explained that we only made one claim in 3 years but they reminded me that the carpet stain they counted a two claims and even though I did not make a claim when I called a few weeks earlier, they said my calles shows that I wanted to claim, so they no longer wanted my business!

So, if you want such absurd treatment - go with LIBERTY MUTUAL!
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 6:54 pm
mad bunny

Car Insurance, just gone up from $3,200. to $4,800. Hubbie had a Canadian license for 1 year, with no claims. He has a U.K driving license for 10 years, and mine is for 20 years....BUT...the operative word in Canada is ...yep...No Canadian Experience,
Direct Line, in the U.K. will insure a Cannuck..but yes you get it!
Also House Insurance...We have 3.30 Acres, and as such we have to have Farm Insurance...more money! BUT... the municipality by-law states we cannot even have a chicken on our realtor termed 'Hobby Farm' unless we have 25 acres!

Waiting for a Canadian to make sense PLEASE!

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mad bunny
BUT... the municipality by-law states we cannot even have a chicken on our realtor termed 'Hobby Farm' unless we have 25 acres!
That is so Canada! haha
We ought to start a new "I am Canadian" rant - in fact I will start it!
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

I look upon Canadian insurance as "catastrophe insurance" only. It's a one time shot: use it and it will get cancelled or the premium will explode; so use it only when your house burns down.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 6:42 pm
mad bunny

That is so true.
Most Canadians I know also see Insurance as a sore subject.
I have a friend who has dogs... O.K. a few more than your average domestic quota. She had insurance with the same company for years. Then they decided they wanted to see her dogs, as they were German Shepherds...they cancelled her policy. She has not had house insurance now for many years! No other company will insure her either, because she has been refused.
We recently went to view a country property that was 2 years old, (we're looking to move). The original house burnt down two years ago, and whilst they were able to claim on their insurance, their policy was then terminated. As a result of this, they cannot get any other insurance company to insure them!
They had wanted to rent as opposed to sell, but the insurance company advised them that if they were to rent, the property was uninsurable! This lady was in her 60's...had paid insurance for all those years...and was nearly in tears as she recounted the experiences she had realised with the insurance.
When I enquired as to the ridiculous cost of our car insurance hike, I was informed that this was because the government had given them permission to increase their price!
Also, I learnt by ringing around looking for 'quotes' as you would in any competative market, that insurance companies are only allowed so many 'customers'.
You have a better chance of securing a deal if you combine your car and house insurance with the company. That's if they bother to return your call...or the e-mails! As for the on-line ones, I've yet to come across one that will give me a quote, after submitting all the info!
What do I miss about the U.K. apart from my job and my income...............DIRECT LINE.............................................. ..........!

Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:22 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Another story: BCAA were the only company that would insure me [house, contents etc. ] after a divorce. I had paid 8+ years of insurance in joint names with my ex (when I actually always paid the bill anyway). When I went to renew my policy I was told that I was now a "risk" and the company concerned did not want my business. When pressed, they admitted it was because I was a single mother, even though I had never made a claim and had a good job. Gotta love this place.

Last edited by dingbat; Jul 4th 2004 at 3:25 am.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Quite nervous about admitting this but ... I work in insurance! I'm an auto claims adjuster these past 2 years. Yes, the companies are raising rates through the roof - in a few cases it's justified but in about 9/10 of cases it is not. Of course the costs of repairing, labour costs per hour, car parts etc all go up but I've seen hundreds of policies where I cannot fathom why the rate is as it is.

The companies are businesses first and foremost and the company I work for, while not out to 'screw' people on claims (no, really) has recently put the almighty $ first before providing service. I want to get out of insurance (I'm on parental leave right now) as I hate the way I feel by penny pinching, denying claims and the way they'll use any excuse to raise the rates.

It's been touched upon but I'll tell you this explicitly - if you have an accident (in Ontario at least) you are required to report it to your insurance company. DON'T!!! If you are 'at fault' do whatever you can to settle privately (unless someone is hurt or your BMW is a write-off etc. when you'll have to 'suck it up'). Don't call in to your insurance company to 'enquire' because they will call it a 'claim' even if you do not intend to claim. They will make the excuse that their rates are based on risk and your new accident increases their risk of payout on your policy.

You might hear the defence that there is an increase in fraudulent injury claims and I myself have denied some of these claims and some do get through the net. However, insurance companies (like mine) are not immune to pissing away money. The one I worked for spent about $350,000 this year on a Florida vacation for 'exceptional' employees (old timers and favourites basically).

Things you can do to help your initial insurance quote:

Raise deductibles. It's a gamble but if you're a good driver, good defensive driver and live in an area where it's unlikley your vehicle will be broken into/stolen it's worth a shot.

Honda Civic/ Accord, Dodge Caravan, Neon are a piece of cake to steal and thieves like them for that reason.
Also Civic + young driver = bad risk and horrible rates.

If you haven't moved to Canada yet, find an insurance broker in the area you intend to move. Your location makes a difference - in Toronto a simple move around the block can change your postal code and change your rate, sometimes dramatically so.

A speeding ticket or driving charge (careless etc) can cripple your rates, depending on your insurance company. If you do get a ticket, even if you DID speed, go to X-Copper or Points as they can get most people off their tickets and I KNOW they can perform wonders! Your insurance company WILL find out if you get a ticket so make sure you tell them when the charge is thrown out.

For house policies: not my area but I will say make sure you read the policy VERY carefully and understand it. There are no stupid questions when it comes to your home. And at each renewal call your agent/broker and ask him to explain any changes that may have been made - your insurance company is obliged to highlight those but sometimes it's not obvious what they are.

You can now throw rotten tomatoes at me for being in with the evil corporate bastards (hey I needed a job at the time!).
Old Jul 4th 2004, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jcapulet
Is this most insurance companies, or just certain ones? I wonder if they could be sued for refusing a claim??
I am sure there are some good ones - the documentary gave some percentage though, a percentage of valid claims they turn down - I think it was in the region of 30-40%

I am sure one could sue - trouble is it is a hastle to do this and they count on people not doing that. Sure if it is for thousands you are going to sue - but for a few hundred dollers - I am no so sure.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

What about a Cadillac Deville of 2000 for a 24 years old driver in Montreal, with 6 years of US driving. Is the insurance going to be prohibitive?