Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance for the first time in Ontario

Car Insurance for the first time in Ontario

Old Dec 31st 2020, 12:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133
Default Re: Car Insurance for the first time in Ontario

Originally Posted by EngCan

Hopefully I will not need to test how they are as an insurance company ie no crashes but on price and recognizing UK driving experience they are winners by a mile (or should that be kilometer)
I have been with them for 10 years. I had to claim once when someone rear ended me. They dealt with everything very well. Organised repairs and replacement vehicle straight away. Very good customer service and communication.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 12:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Siouxie
(you usually get a better deal if you have more than 1 insurance with the company
I have had my car with them for 10 years. I have had house insurance for 6. I always check both every year and they have never once come close to the best deal on my house insurance.

Always waste an afternoon ringing around
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 8:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Is a 'Letter of Entitlement,' and a 'Drivers extract,' one and the same?

It seems that holding an NI license I am unable to use the online service..

Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pjm3586
Yep.

As a matter of interest, as you have an NI licence, IF you have a UK motorbike rating, then it will be converted to an Ontario motorbike rating (licences for motobike ratings from elsewhere in tge UK are NOT recognised in Ontario and you have to do the whole test sequence over again).
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 2:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

It seems that holding an NI license I am unable to use the online service..

Thanks
See this post
UK Drivers Record (Northern Ireland)
Get it before you come to Canada - once you have swapped your license and they retain your old one, you might have issues trying to get a copy.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

I happen to have a motorbike license so that's great news.

I'll have a look at the link, thanks.

Old Jan 23rd 2021, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I happen to have a motorbike license so that's great news.

I'll have a look at the link, thanks.
It is bizzare but indeed correct! You should make a point when you go to et your licence converted or emphasising that it is an NI licence with a motorbike rating and as such can be converted to a full Ontario motorbike licence. Do not expect them to automatically know or do this for you without prompting. Also some of them may deny that NI can be converted. Ask for a Supervisor and point them to the following link (see about halfway down the page):

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licenc...torcycles.html

If they still deny it, insist on seeing a manager and get his reason for denial in writing so that you can then appeal it direct with Ontario licencing!

The reason I mention all of this is that when I exchanged my licence at the DriveTest centre in Ottawa (I had a UK motorbike rating), I made a conversational comment to the person doing the exchange that I could not understand why NI had a conversion agreement, but the rest of the UK did not. She looked puzzled and denied that NI had an exchange agreement. She checked with an older (more senior?) lady who categorically denied any such agreement with NI. I let it go with a shrug of the shoulders as I did not have an NI licence anyway and didn't see the point of an argument. In your case, you may need to be assertive and ask for a Manager (of course I may have been unlucky coming across ill informed staff), but it wasn't the first time I seemed t know the rules better than the official in Canada - sad but true.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

That's interesting - it seems a bizarre rule. I would like to know how it came to be.

But I will definitely be fighting my corner, I'll let you know how I get on with that.

Do you plan on doing your test over there?

I also have C1, but surely that would be pushing it too far...
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's interesting - it seems a bizarre rule. I would like to know how it came to be.
For heaven sake don't ask them, it will just confuse them!

But I will definitely be fighting my corner, I'll let you know how I get on with that.
Yes please, I would be interested to know.

Do you plan on doing your test over there?
I have already been through the complete Ontario motorbike test cycle and now have a full M rating on my Ontario licence. With the semi-mandatory third party training probably set me back about $1500.

I also have C1, but surely that would be pushing it too far...
Sorry, I don't know what that is, I assume some sort of UK truck licence. I don't know the conversion stuff for commercial licences, but plenty of threads on that in the forum I suspect.

Best of luck with the move!
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I have already been through the complete Ontario motorbike test cycle and now have a full M rating on my Ontario licence. With the semi-mandatory third party training probably set me back about $1500.
It's not mandatory to have 3rd party training, it's optional and usually undertaken to reduce the length of time you must hold a license to 'upgrade' to taking each level test to a full one.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-motorcycle-licence

After you pass your eye and written tests, you get an M1 licence. Before you get a full M licence, you have to:
  • finish two learning levels:
    • M1 and M2 (for full-speed motorcycles)
    • M1 and M2-L (for mopeds and motorized scooters)
    • M1 and M2-M (for three-wheeled motorcycles)
  • pass two road tests
Once you get your M2 licence, you have up to five years to finish the learning process. After five years, if you do not get your full licence, you will need to start over.
You need to wait at least 60 days before you can take your first road test
After 22 months, you can take the second road test. If you pass, you get a full M licence.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 23rd 2021 at 4:27 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's not mandatory to have 3rd party training, it's optional and usually undertaken to reduce the length of time you must hold a license to 'upgrade' to taking each level test
....which is why I said 'semi-mandatory'. Hard to see how you could get your M2 licence (note, NOT the M2 'exit' test - the one where you play with cones on a closed circuit) without going through an accredited training and testing agency, but perhaps it can somehow be done.
Old May 1st 2021, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Belly2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Car Insurance for the first time in Ontario

Having been driving in the UK for over 35 years with a clean licence and no accidents for 15 years, I moved to Canada and was being quoted between $3000 and $5000 for insurance as driving experience outside of Canada/US was disregarded by insurers. Having read posts on this thread, I contacted Johnson insurance and obtained the insurance for less than $1000. Make sure you speak to them, the price was lower than their online quote. Very helpful too.
Old May 1st 2021, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Yes, would recommend! We have insured two vehicles with them and they have gave us something for our driving license experience and no claims. About 2k cheaper than any other quotes.
Old May 2nd 2021, 11:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
Hi,
Car Insurance in Ontario recommends 2 steps.
1. Get history of no claims in UK
2. Driver's history from DVLA.
3. Get a quote from Johnson Insurance

Based on the initial estimate, we have been quoted $2300, for a 4 year old Toyota Scion
We will be living in St Catherine's when we get the car.
is this a reasonable insurance quote?

I know how to contact Aviva to get the no claims details, not sure what is required from DVLA.
If you have gone through these steps, can you please help?
That seems reasonable for a new driver in Ontario.

I'be been here 11 years, drive a 2007 Civic and still pay $150 per month because I'm Downtown Toronto.

I'd pop to a Desjardins Insurance Agent. I've never found cheaper car insurance looking elsewhere than what I have with mine.

Old May 11th 2021, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Tabularasa is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone got their No Claims data from MIB (Motor Insurance Board) in the UK? It seems you can put in a Subject Access Request for free to get your no claims history as long as you give them your drivers license details and previous addresses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.