Reload this Page >

car insurance canada if british but with exchanged canadian licence

car insurance canada if british but with exchanged canadian licence

Old Apr 1st 2012, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Krismequick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car insurance canada if british but with exchanged canadian licence

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could help explain how it works with car insurance, when I moved here I just simply exchanged my full UK drivers licence of 16 years for a G Class Ontario licence.

But when I went onto insurance websites they ask when I obtained my G1 and G2, which I haven't needed to do as it was a straight exchange. What the best way to get insurance if this is the case, is there a way of proving officially over here that I have been driving safely for 16+ years?

I tried putting in the the same dates for all but that wasn't allowed. Any advice is welcomed. I'm sure this is a common problem with a lot of expats so I hope someone can help explain this to me.

Thanks,
Old Apr 1st 2012, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice
Default Re: car insurance canada if british but with exchanged canadian licence

Call the insurance co,or go to a broker
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Krismequick
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could help explain how it works with car insurance, when I moved here I just simply exchanged my full UK drivers licence of 16 years for a G Class Ontario licence.

But when I went onto insurance websites they ask when I obtained my G1 and G2, which I haven't needed to do as it was a straight exchange. What the best way to get insurance if this is the case, is there a way of proving officially over here that I have been driving safely for 16+ years?

I tried putting in the the same dates for all but that wasn't allowed. Any advice is welcomed. I'm sure this is a common problem with a lot of expats so I hope someone can help explain this to me.

Thanks,
Yeah it sucks because a lot of those websites aren't set up to allow for anyone who got their licence transferred.

Only option is to call or meet with a broker.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:54 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Think about how you used to buy insurance in the UK in the 1970s (The man from the Pru is a good starting point). Pretend the internet doesn't exist. Buy a fax machine. You will be good to go.

No meerkats here....
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Just a brief warning, be prepared for a shock at the PRICE
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bigals
Just a brief warning, be prepared for a shock at the PRICE
+1

We have 30 & 25 ys + experience...not recognised here in Toronto area. Our first quote was for an eye watering $16000
We were chuffed to get it down to $5000 pa. We had done the homework and included the costs in our projected budget but it still hurts! Only consolation is it will get better in time.

Some friends of ours had letters from all their previous insurance companies proving their no claim status; they went through a company called Johnsons and got the price right down.

Good luck.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

My gf is Canadian no accidents or convictions I have been here 11 years no accidents no convictions $2600 a year, I have no idea where they get the prices from!!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:16 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

When I first arrived in November last year I was getting quotes of $4-5k for insurance in Ontario and none would take my UK driving into consideration.

I eventually found a company that would take my UK no claims and clean driving license into account and I scanned an emailed the letter and UK license info and got a quote for $1300.

I've also given the company info to 2 french people from work and they've saved a fortune also.

I'm not sure if it's allowed on here as may be advertising (I know I could read up but couldn't be ar$ed ) but if anybody wants the company info I used PM me.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:17 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deeny
+1

Some friends of ours had letters from all their previous insurance companies proving their no claim status; they went through a company called Johnsons and got the price right down.

Good luck.
Ignore my previous post on advertising on the forum - this is the company I used

If anybody wants the person I went through at Johnsons, let me know and I'll pass along the email and details.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I always have a chuckle then cringe when I read threads about car insurance rates in Canada.
http://www.fraserinstitute.org/publi...?id=2147483788

If living here then unfortunately its something you will have to deal with.
Ive been here 24 yrs and driving almost since day 1 and I still pay about $1300 a year for a 2009 Nissan Altima. Get used to it its not getting much cheaper.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

JustDave is an unknown quantity at this point

For what it's worth, Allstate were by far the cheapest when I moved to Montreal in '09. They took into account my 14 year UK driving history and my premium was something like 1500 a year.

Just moved to eastern Ontario, so had to re-sign up with Allstate in Cornwall (apparently they cant just do a change of address or anything?) and my new quote is 800 a year or so. For an 07 Magnum.

Hope that's of some use!