car insurance

Old Sep 17th 2019, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

mattheww65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: car insurance

We moved to Calgary back in April and bought an older 2009 VW Tiguan - Got insurance through Des Jardin direct (no broker) - they took into account all of our UK history and we pay $960 per year.

I believe they are also in Ontario? If they are its certainly worth a phonecall! Don't use the online form - phonecall is the only way to get your UK history approved...
Old Sep 17th 2019, 7:45 pm
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

hi. Insurance is such a pain!

We went with Johnson’s as they were recommended by people on this forum as accepting UK no claims. https://www1.johnson.ca/

We still had some trouble as they will only accept a very specifically worded letter from our UK insurance company. We had been with tesco for years and despite speaking to 2 managers, they refused to provide the specific letter requested as they said it wasn’t FSA approved (though I know companies like Direct Line will provide it so that’s a lie). This has details on what the letter needs https://coming-to-canada.com/2018/12...ng-in-ontario/

we pay $280 a month in Mississauga which doesn’t seem too bad.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 1:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattheww65
We moved to Calgary back in April and bought an older 2009 VW Tiguan - Got insurance through Des Jardin direct (no broker) - they took into account all of our UK history and we pay $960 per year.

I believe they are also in Ontario? If they are its certainly worth a phonecall! Don't use the online form - phonecall is the only way to get your UK history approved...
Yes, they're in Ontario:

https://www.desjardinsagents.com/?&g...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old Sep 18th 2019, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lukesmith2
To show you how much postcode matters in Ontario we moved out of Toronto to Milton and our insurance for two people/two cars went down from $485 to $280.

Any province with government insurance will take your UK driving history into account but be prepared to get screwed.

3 years in Canada we moved to Calgary and insurance is private here and we pay $300 a month for one car and now I get a company vehicle thank goodness. All the news reports websites are all a waste of time apprently Calgary is one of the lower cities to be insured in but evidently not and I did lots of shopping around.

Go to Kanetix to compare or lowestrates.ca, Dejardins are not on price comparison websites and they are good. Bellair direct is usually the cheapest insurer in Ontario.

Yikes, you're getting shafted. I have just shy of 3 years experience driving on my own (i'm a 20 y/o male, got my license in Canada) and I pay 260 a month fully comprehensive on a new (2 y/o) car. Though that's soon to go up i'm sure as i'm a bit of a speed demon and have got a couple tickets this year

Although i'm with a group insurance provider (The Personal) - check with your workplace to see if they offer insurance discounts.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 2:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

$300 a month for 1 car, oh man. Haven't paid those kind of prices since I was like 20.

We are in BC so have to buy basic coverage through ICBC as well we have no choice, but we pay $146 a month currently for full coverage, 2 million liability, comprehensive etc.

If we didn't live in one of the higher crime areas of Vancouver, we would probably pay a bit less, but our postal code has a high theft/break in rate so insurance prices reflect the higher risk.

To show you how much postcode matters in Ontario we moved out of Toronto to Milton and our insurance for two people/two cars went down from $485 to $280.

Any province with government insurance will take your UK driving history into account but be prepared to get screwed.

3 years in Canada we moved to Calgary and insurance is private here and we pay $300 a month for one car and now I get a company vehicle thank goodness. All the news reports websites are all a waste of time apprently Calgary is one of the lower cities to be insured in but evidently not and I did lots of shopping around.

Go to Kanetix to compare or lowestrates.ca, Dejardins are not on price comparison websites and they are good. Bellair direct is usually the cheapest insurer in Ontario.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
$300 a month for 1 car, oh man. Haven't paid those kind of prices since I was like 20.

We are in BC so have to buy basic coverage through ICBC as well we have no choice, but we pay $146 a month currently for full coverage, 2 million liability, comprehensive etc.

If we didn't live in one of the higher crime areas of Vancouver, we would probably pay a bit less, but our postal code has a high theft/break in rate so insurance prices reflect the higher risk.
We're on about $110/month per vehicle in Victoria -so nice being able to fit the annual bill on a credit card, which I never could have done back in Britain (at comparable coverage, insuring a Corsa in Bristol city centre was about twice as expensive for a young man as a truck is in BC)
Old Sep 18th 2019, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

FARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the tips and tricks. We've landed and will report back once we have sorted it all out.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I just went and checked what we actually ended up paying for car insurance in ON for the first year. First quote was CAD 3000pa, but ended up at CAD2200 pa through Carr and Co brokers in Ottawa. Since reduced a bit second year as Canadian NCD starts to accrue.

Just paid CAD 2600pa for insurance on the motorbike (was GBP 250 pa in the UK).

Hey ho!
Same for automobiles.

That's the general idea I here in Canada. As a ballpark idea: Take your annual UK car insurance and than add another zero to the figure and change GBP to CAD and you'll have a rough estimate.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

FARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you guys share who you're insured with? We had a quote from Desjardin for $212 p/m and then after we got all the letters from our UK insurers regarding no claims they turned around said actually they don't take into account foreign experience from the 20th of this month and it would be $430 p/m.

And if anyone has gotten insured in the last few months with a company who takes into account UK experience? Thanks!
Old Sep 25th 2019, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

lukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FARAH1305
Can you guys share who you're insured with? We had a quote from Desjardin for $212 p/m and then after we got all the letters from our UK insurers regarding no claims they turned around said actually they don't take into account foreign experience from the 20th of this month and it would be $430 p/m.

And if anyone has gotten insured in the last few months with a company who takes into account UK experience? Thanks!
Dejardins I'm insured with and they would not accept any of my foreign driving experience. Bare in mind even the ones that do aren't anywhere near competitive so they suck. I found a few companies that accept it but they're not even competitive and give you a higher rate than you would get without. If your in Ontario BellAirDirect is usually cheapest insurance. Use Kanetix and Lowestrates.ca for comparison.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 4:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www1.johnson.ca/auto-insurance

see our wiki for more options and what you need to be able to prove .. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...surance-Canada
Old Sep 25th 2019, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Dejardins I'm insured with and they would not accept any of my foreign driving experience. Bare in mind even the ones that do aren't anywhere near competitive so they suck. I found a few companies that accept it but they're not even competitive and give you a higher rate than you would get without. If your in Ontario BellAirDirect is usually cheapest insurance. Use Kanetix and Lowestrates.ca for comparison.
As a comparison: Even when I started driving back in Europe and had little or no experience, first year of having my license,and payed the highest rate possible, I would by comparison still have payed less than in Canada today, that with 20 plus years of experience.

The cost of car insurance is one of the bigger challenges facing every immigrant. Also the great distances in Canada make it nearly impossible in living without a car. Unless you're in one of the bigger cities and your job is walking distance or via public transport to the office.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 11:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Also the great distances in Canada make it nearly impossible in living without a car. Unless you're in one of the bigger cities and your job is walking distance or via public transport to the office.
Well yes, but I know very many people who don't drive or do drive and don't have a car; they rent or car share as needed. Most people do live in cities.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 3:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well yes, but I know very many people who don't drive or do drive and don't have a car; they rent or car share as needed. Most people do live in cities.

+1

There are also such things as taxi's / uber and inter town/city transit - or have good friends or family who do drive!

I've been in Canada for a number of years, don't drive, don't have a car.. still manage to get around.. as does my (adult) son - he was up in Algonquin last week.

I doubt you would choose to live in the countryside unless you at least had a license.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your insights. We've gone with Johnsons and secured a rate of 2558 per annum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.