car insurance

Old Aug 5th 2019, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

FARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond repute
Default car insurance

Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend car insurance companies? i've just got a quote online and it's astronomical (415 per month). Google estimates averages are 175 - I am astonished we were quoted so much more.

Do insurance companies take into account your UK driving record? Hubby and I are acciden and ticket free.
Old Aug 5th 2019, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance

Originally Posted by FARAH1305
Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend car insurance companies? i've just got a quote online and it's astronomical (415 per month). Google estimates averages are 175 - I am astonished we were quoted so much more. I went to a local insurance broker who did the leg work for us.

Do insurance companies take into account your UK driving record? Hubby and I are acciden and ticket free.
Which province are you talking about? Varies by province.

But yes, I ended up paying that sort of amount. I had 30 years UK no claims AND proof of it and zero penalty point - didn't cut any ice whatsoever!

If you are talking about Ontario, this sounds about right. Car insurance IS expensive in Canada, best get used to it until you can build up Canadian no-claims doscounts.

It is said that one particular insurer will take into account UK driving experience, but the resultant annual premium seems to be about the same as if you went with a different insurer that treats you as a novice.
Old Aug 5th 2019, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

FARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Which province are you talking about? Varies by province.

But yes, I ended up paying that sort of amount. I had 30 years UK no claims AND proof of it and zero penalty point - didn't cut any ice whatsoever!

If you are talking about Ontario, this sounds about right. Car insurance IS expensive in Canada, best get used to it until you can build up Canadian no-claims doscounts.

It is said that one particular insurer will take into account UK driving experience, but the resultant annual premium seems to be about the same as if you went with a different insurer that treats you as a novice.
Jesus - we can expect to pay nearly 415 per month?!??! that is insanity. We will be in Ontario.
Old Aug 5th 2019, 9:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus - we can expect to pay nearly 415 per month?!??! that is insanity. We will be in Ontario.
One variable you can change is your postal code, for a start don't live in Brampton. A colleague just moved from Mississauga to Waterdown (Greater Hamilton) and said the car premium went from over $500/month to just under $400. Note that changing the car doesn't make much difference (unless one is exotic or RHD or plated out-of-Province). The problem with being a newcomer is that credit score is an important rating criterion and a newcomer doesn't have one.
Old Aug 5th 2019, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. If you DO find out how to pay less, PLEASE don't tell me. I doubt you will succeed though. You will quickly find that Canada vs UK is 'swings and roundabouts'. You will certainly find that cellphone plans and internet is dearer, but no point in comparisons, just be ready for it! Equally some things are silly cheap - got two good sized T-Bone steaks for $13 in the local supermarket :-))

Old Aug 5th 2019, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend car insurance companies? i've just got a quote online and it's astronomical (415 per month). Google estimates averages are 175 - I am astonished we were quoted so much more.

Car Insurance is very expensive in Canada. When it comes to driving the average Canadian is as good at it as the average Brit is at Ice Hockey. The other part of the problem is that despite numerous countries having higher standards of driving, more stringent testing and a lower accident and death rate. It is outside of Canada so it couldn't possibly be as good. My own Canadian Mrs left the handbrake on and tried to drive away on her test and still passed.

There are some companies here that will take into account your UK experience. You will need a letter from your insurance company stating that you have x years of claim free, accident free and ticket free. Also in that letter ask them to specifically state that you have been insured continually for x years. (provided that you have) This seems to be important to Canadian insurers.

As for buying the car insurance they are still partying like its 1999 . Online options are limited to say the least. You are going to have to ring someone and go through it all the old fashioned way. That will likely be Monday to Friday 8-5 ish. I recommend that you ring Johnson Insurance. I have been with them since I moved here nearly 10 years ago and they will take into account your UK history with the letter mentioned above. Every year I ring around and they have always been the cheapest by quite a bit. It wont be anything like as cheap as the UK but likely a lot less than 415 a month.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 12:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201

As for buying the car insurance they are still partying like its 1999 . Online options are limited to say the least. You are going to have to ring someone and go through it all the old fashioned way. That will likely be Monday to Friday 8-5 ish.
Technology is in its infancy in the Canadian insurance industry. Many companies are hampered by a structure of tied sales agents, if the companies offer online sales they're cutting out their own middle men and that bureaucracy slows the pace of change. What you do see now is some single company websites for policy maintenance and simple sales (a foreign person alas is not a simple sale) but what's missing is consolidator sites that take your details and then scan all the company sites to get the best price; the way the airline ticket sites work. It'll come though, most companies use the same packaged software so someone will slap a front end on it eventually. The good news is that the claims sites are better than the new business ones. I uploaded pictures of my crashed car and the next day I was in touch with the Total Loss Express Team who were ready to settle there and then so as to avoid storage charges for the wrecked car. Very quick, all done by email.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Rich_BC is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of interest, what car is it?
Old Aug 6th 2019, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

We are still a 1 car family for this reason, after a year in Ontario our insurance went up due to high claims in the Province!!
Old Aug 8th 2019, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
We are still a 1 car family for this reason, after a year in Ontario our insurance went up due to high claims in the Province!!
I think in Ontario the car insurance in general higher than in other provinces.

I have also heard that some companies have some kind of scheme for their employees, offering them cheaper deals.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 12:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I think in Ontario the car insurance in general higher than in other provinces..
It's nothing like as expensive as in the territories but knowing that is only useful if you're mulling Whitehorse vs. Brampton as a place to live.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

zac stone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,I can’t talk for other provinces,but here in BC,if you can prove your NCD for the years you were driving in the UK,the insurer will give you up to 40% discount,you will need proof from your old insurance company,not the broker,the details required are listed on a proof of driving history,obtained from your Canadian broker,but like I said earlier,my only experience of this is here in BC.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 11:59 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I think in Ontario the car insurance in general higher than in other provinces.

I have also heard that some companies have some kind of scheme for their employees, offering them cheaper deals.
I see your Ontario, and raise you Newfoundland. I suspect insurance, like most things, is more expensive here.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zac stone
Hi,I can’t talk for other provinces,but here in BC,if you can prove your NCD for the years you were driving in the UK,the insurer will give you up to 40% discount,you will need proof from your old insurance company,not the broker,the details required are listed on a proof of driving history,obtained from your Canadian broker,but like I said earlier,my only experience of this is here in BC.
just to be clear it is not your NCB you need to prove. You need to show that you made no claims and had no accidents to get the discount. Some insurance companies in UK allow you to protect NCB hence why you need to show no accidents.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I see your Ontario, and raise you Newfoundland. I suspect insurance, like most things, is more expensive here.
based on this you have the second cheapest in the provinces
https://www.sonnet.ca/blog/auto-insurance-by-province

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.