CAR INSURANCE

Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:07 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAR INSURANCE

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They seem reasonable to me in terms of Canadian car insurance for newcomers. I think it's our esteemed forum member dbd33's price that's shocked me the most - I'm sure he pays something like $4500 for a VW Beetle and has been in Canada for years!
Having read a lot of his posts that's probably 1/4 of the story.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

Originally Posted by orly
Wife uses them too. Still a bit of a rip off in my eyes. Comes to about $170/month for our rather normal japanese box.

I felt hard done by paying 600 quid/yr back home...then I came here and felt not so bad about it lol.

Lol I know. It sure puts it into perspective. I'm going to back in the UK for a week in October. If any of my mates complain about the price they pay for insurance they will be getting a swift back hander and can buy the beers for the night.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

xj25vm is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it all depends. Things are not so rosy everywhere in the UK when it comes to car insurance. I drive a newish, small diesel engine Citroen Xsara Picasso (fairly common, small/medium family car - for those not familiar) - and I struggled hard to bring my premium to around £1100-£1200 - and that's with 8 years no claims bonus. That's what? Closing in to 2000CAD? I have a clean license, and no claims ever. Three years ago, when I bought it new - lots of brokers couldn't even quote me an exact figure - as their systems wouldn't return quotes beyond £3000!!

I guess the fact that I keep it on the street at night doesn't help. Mind you, some parts of Liverpool are the worst for car insurance in the entire UK - so other parts of the country would be much better in that respect. But just saying - car insurance is not that cheap everywhere in the UK at the moment. At least not as cheap as it used to be about 2004 - when I got my first car.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:13 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xj25vm
I guess it all depends. Things are not so rosy everywhere in the UK when it comes to car insurance. I drive a newish, small diesel engine Citroen Xsara Picasso (fairly common, small/medium family car - for those not familiar) - and I struggled hard to bring my premium to around £1100-£1200 - and that's with 8 years no claims bonus. That's what? Closing in to 2000CAD? I have a clean license, and no claims ever. Three years ago, when I bought it new - lots of brokers couldn't even quote me an exact figure - as their systems wouldn't return quotes beyond £3000!!

I guess the fact that I keep it on the street at night doesn't help. Mind you, some parts of Liverpool are the worst for car insurance in the entire UK - so other parts of the country would be much better in that respect. But just saying - car insurance is not that cheap everywhere in the UK at the moment. At least not as cheap as it used to be about 2004 - when I got my first car.
Bit closer to $1700 i think but yes it is pot luck sometimes. Postcode lottery and all that.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Nova Scotia. Moved here 3 months ago, one of the first things we had to do was get a car and get insurance. We got a Ford Ranger truck, and used our 9 years no claims my partner had to get our insurance. We're both insured, not just 3rd party minimum, for $500/year. I was convinced we were going to have to pay $1000s before we arrived, but it's turned out to be not much more than we were paying in the Uk, and for a much bigger vehicle!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really nice

Thanks everyone for the help -I knew I should have pushed for a company car

Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They seem reasonable to me in terms of Canadian car insurance for newcomers. I think it's our esteemed forum member dbd33's price that's shocked me the most - I'm sure he pays something like $4500 for a VW Beetle and has been in Canada for years!
Last year it was that much. I've since cut it to three grand by eliminating collision coverage. The renewal is in October so we'll see how much it goes up this year.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

sanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jason mears
Thanks everyone for the help -I knew I should have pushed for a company car

I will be pushing for one...been quoted 4600 for a 1999 golf Gti doing 10k per year. The car will cost me 2700
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Aatjjj is an unknown quantity at this point

do company cars exist in Canada>?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:17 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aatjjj
Yes of course. Companies use them all the time.

Plus they can be used for private use by employees but, as expected, taxation rules apply to what would be deemed as a private benefit.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp.../menu-eng.html
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:33 pm
Never Live to Regret

staceyhall71 is an unknown quantity at this point

were struggling to get insured as they request a driving record from the DVLA which has to be sent for by post. As we are in Toronto at present is going to take a good 7 weeks before we get that back. And need a car by then as were both starting work!! Any suggestions on INSURERS who don't need this record?? please
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

Who were you trying and where are you. Primmum have never asked for that.

Not sure what difference would be in these quotes compared to a newcomer but I arrive last June and this is as it stands if I wanted to insure a vehicle myself excluding any second car discounts / home and bike insurance.

All quotes based on a 2004 vehicle I'm 32 and live in L1N postcode area.

Honda Civic $269 Month $3228 Annual Full Coverage $179 Basic $2153.04
Audi A6 $260 Month $3120 Annual full Coverage $215.75 basic $2589
Ford F150 $229.25 $2751 full coverage $189 $2268 basic coverage

But the winner is.

Porsche Ceyenne $218.33 $2619.96 Full coverage $179.42 $2153.04 Basic
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
Yes of course. Companies use them all the time.
Probably not in the sense of the question. Some companies do own vehicles and maintain a pool of them for professional use; examples might be police forces, bakeries and fire brigades. However, the provision of a vehicle for continued use by a single employee is pretty rare and the blurring of the intended use so that, in effect, the employee gets domestic use of a car as a benefit, applies only to people who own companies.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

zippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nice

Johnson insurance recognises your UK driving we got a quote of 1968 for a 2011 VW Tiguan. TD came in with the next lowest at 2400.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aatjjj
Yes, I'm getting one when I move to Kelowna at the end of October.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.