Car Insurance

Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

TrinaForest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance

My husband has a G2 license and received a quote from TD - $3240 yearly which works out to $270 monthly. That's for a Pontiac Montana 2003 model. We live in Pickering... If he gets his G license it will reduce the policy to $2935 which is still pretty costly.
Are there any cheaper companies out there?
Thanks

Last edited by TrinaForest; Oct 14th 2010 at 7:49 pm. Reason: Typo.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance

Originally Posted by TrinaForest
My husband has a G2 license and received a quote from TD - $2340 yearly which works out to $270 monthly. That's for a Pontiac Montana 2003 model. We live in Pickering... If he gets his G license it will reduce the policy to $2935 which is still pretty costly.
Thanks
$2935 is not a reduction on $2340, not when I did math anyway
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
$2935 is not a reduction on $2340, not when I did math anyway
If you did the math at all you would have seen that 270 x 12 = 3240
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

We insured through TD Canada and they came in at 1800 for a 2007 chevy tahoe
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:17 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

This question comes up every day almost, and people seem to have the most success with Johnsons. They will consider your UK driving history, whereas most insurers wont.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
This question comes up every day almost, and people seem to have the most success with Johnsons. They will consider your UK driving history, whereas most insurers wont.
If hes on a G2 going to a G I suspect there is no UK history, otherwise he would have done a straight swap. Those of us with kids here have horrendous premiums to look forward to again once they start to drive and also have zero experience
Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:05 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If hes on a G2 going to a G I suspect there is no UK history, otherwise he would have done a straight swap. Those of us with kids here have horrendous premiums to look forward to again once they start to drive and also have zero experience
We were quoted an extra $1600 to have daughter as a named driver on a dodge dakota She is not yet 16 but old enough to start driving lessons...I keep putting off going to the nearest empty car park to teach her clutch control
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If you did the math at all you would have seen that 270 x 12 = 3240
I only did addition and subtraction
Old Oct 15th 2010, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

kirkio is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband has a G2 license and received a quote from TD - $3240 yearly which works out to $270 monthly. That's for a Pontiac Montana 2003 model. We live in Pickering... If he gets his G license it will reduce the policy to $2935 which is still pretty costly.
Thanks
I am in the same boat as you, I have had a number of quotes ranging from $4k to $6k. I have not gone to TD though, so your quote sounds cheap to me! I am waiting on Johnsons getting back to me as they take into account the UK history, you need a letter of proof and your drivers license paper copy... i will let you know what Johnsons say
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

kirkio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
I finally got car insurance; Allstate were by far the cheapest, they even beat Johnsons.

I have a 7year no claims history and all the paperowrk and the UK paperwork however both Johnsons and All State would only provide me with a 3-yr history - $3700 for both me and my wife on a brand new Mazda5 mini van. Full cover and all that jazz

Painful but we swallowed it and moved on!

Goodluck
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

I have just managed to buy a Ford Escape and out of the SUV's this was the most expensive insurance wise. I pay $1781 a year with johnson's.

I set this up in the UK and because I had a HSBC account had canadian cheques - so I could scan and send them one. She also accepted the Uk license and also the insurance letter quoting number of no claim years.

Below is the lady I used who I know is very good and is always willing to help.

[email protected]

Olga is based in Alberta, but probably can quote for wherever.

Give it a try...

JET