Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance??

Car Insurance??

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light
Default Car Insurance??

Hi can anyone help on a decent priced car insurance company in calgary please? what should we expect to pay on a ford pickup roughly?

Can anyone explain what you have to do we have seen a truck we like do we insure first what is the process as i know you have to go somewhere for a number plate?

Also is it possible to get sunday newspapers eg; sunday mirror,news of the world anywhere in calgary?

Last edited by Julie_p; Nov 2nd 2008 at 11:07 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Anita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really nice
Default Re: Car Insurance??

Originally Posted by Julie_p View Post
Hi can anyone help on a decent priced car insurance company in calgary please? what should we expect to pay on a ford pickup roughly?

Can anyone explain what you have to do we have seen a truck we like do we insure first what is the process as i know you have to go somewhere for a number plate?

Also is it possible to get sunday newspapers eg; sunday mirror,news of the world anywhere in calgary?
Hi Julie
We have just got a GMC pickup 2004 model it cost us $1100 for OH & me to drive fully comp, with johnsons.ca (someone on here recommended them), we rang co-operative, Ryder & some others & johnsons were cheapest + they accepted our U.K no claims.
You need to purchase the vehicle then take the bill of sale to registries & your insurance cert. & drivers license so you can obtain a license plate. There is a registry on Crowfoot shopping area. We have just doen all of this.
Anita
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:30 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Calgary, Oakridge Foods, the convenience store at the corner of 90th Avenue and 14th Street SW, used to carry those kinds of newspapers.

If all else fails, you can get them from Billy's News and Smoke Shop in downtown Calgary. It's on 7th Avenue, near the intersection of 1st Street SW, next to a train station and across from The Bay (department store).

There is a British shop in the Eau Claire Market, at the north end of the downtown core, on the shores of the Bow River. I dare say they would carry British newspapers.

A Google search tells me there's a store called British Pantry at 4820 Northland Drive NW.

I wonder if Macewans Meats, the Scottish butchery at MacEwans Meats at 9620 Elbow Drive SW (between Heritage Drive and Southland Drive) sells British newspapers.

It could very well be the case that there is a convenience store closer to you that carries British newspapers.

If you t3ll forum members which part of Calgary you live in, they might be able to help you out.
x
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary View Post
When I lived in Calgary, Oakridge Foods, the convenience store at the corner of 90th Avenue and 14th Street SW, used to carry those kinds of newspapers.

If all else fails, you can get them from Billy's News and Smoke Shop in downtown Calgary. It's on 7th Avenue, near the intersection of 1st Street SW, next to a train station and across from The Bay (department store).

There is a British shop in the Eau Claire Market, at the north end of the downtown core, on the shores of the Bow River. I dare say they would carry British newspapers.

A Google search tells me there's a store called British Pantry at 4820 Northland Drive NW.

I wonder if Macewans Meats, the Scottish butchery at MacEwans Meats at 9620 Elbow Drive SW (between Heritage Drive and Southland Drive) sells British newspapers.

It could very well be the case that there is a convenience store closer to you that carries British newspapers.

If you t3ll forum members which part of Calgary you live in, they might be able to help you out.
x
Thanks Judy i live in SE calgary auburn bay anyone??
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

try cindy at jbc risk management. 251-1700..

she was great with us, so much so my family changed from their broker to her too.. honoured our uk no claims no problem..
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Hi Julie

We used Silvercrest Insurance the broker actually came to the dealership to insure us then we went to registries to get our license plate. We found them very reasonable and they also recognised our no claims from UK as well. We also got our contents insurance with them as well as we were advised to have the insurers for your vehicle to insure our contents as well.

Good luck

Rachel
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:45 pm
Seacroft to Vancouver

chrisconvy_99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amardan View Post
Hi Julie

We used Silvercrest Insurance the broker actually came to the dealership to insure us then we went to registries to get our license plate. We found them very reasonable and they also recognised our no claims from UK as well. We also got our contents insurance with them as well as we were advised to have the insurers for your vehicle to insure our contents as well.

Good luck

Rachel
for whoever wanted u k newspapers, Get yourself to CHAPTERS, i bought the news of the world for 7 dollars,, they had daily express, sunday mirror and The times, now the times was 12 dollars and i saw these on thurs night, i bought NOTW anyway. I dont know if these papers are released on sun morning in Vancouver, my only hope is that they do, love reading about home now
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:54 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

On the internet! OH and I read most of the Telegraph and Daily Mail and a couple of others on the internet for free.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Times, Sunday Times

News Of The World

Sunday Mirror/

All readable online at no cost.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:06 pm
Seacroft to Vancouver

chrisconvy_99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Times, Sunday Times

News Of The World

Sunday Mirror/

All readable online at no cost.
yeah but its just not the same is it, sitting at the pc reading it
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisconvy_99 View Post
yeah but its just not the same is it, sitting at the pc reading it
Maybe not, but $7 for NOTW?!!!!