car insurance

Old Jun 7th 2008, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Post car insurance

Any advice on obtaining car insurance please? Exchanged my clean UK driving licence for a Canadian one (Ontario). On paper it appears that I have no driving experience prior to the issue of the Canadian one and it is difficult to get an online quote, although I haven't tried very seriously. I have been driving for over forty years on UK licence, both in UK and in France without problem. I do have a 'Letter of Experience' issued by my French insurance company, covering the last five years I was there up to 2007. Tried to find links here on this question (and there must be some) without success. Fear I may be one of 'The Tedious Ones' Novocastrian referred to in one of his postings here, i.e people asking questions on subjects that have been covered time and time again. Sorry about that and thanks.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 2:31 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: car insurance

I went with Direct Protect group when I moved here and explained I moved here they didnt ask for letter or nowt and my premiums were similar to the UK, I paid $165 aa month on my Mustang GT, now for Escape, Truck, house, boat and ATV me and the OH pay $345 a month so not bad in my opinion.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 4:32 pm
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future

Johnsons Insurance. Took our UK No claims into account and we now insure 2 cars (one a 4 x 4 ) for under $220 a month.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mikey B
I went with Direct Protect group when I moved here and explained I moved here they didnt ask for letter or nowt and my premiums were similar to the UK, I paid $165 aa month on my Mustang GT, now for Escape, Truck, house, boat and ATV me and the OH pay $345 a month so not bad in my opinion.
Thank you.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by landhouse
Johnsons Insurance. Took our UK No claims into account and we now insure 2 cars (one a 4 x 4 ) for under $220 a month.
Had been recommended 'Johnson and Johnson' but thought they made baby powder! Think it must have been just Johnson/s!
Thank you.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by landhouse
Snap, Johnson here aswell. Been brilliant with us 2 new cars less than $100 each a month. They can be a bit anal with the info in the 'UK no claims' but worth it in the end.

Chris
Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cneldred
Snap, Johnson here aswell. Been brilliant with us 2 new cars less than $100 each a month. They can be a bit anal with the info in the 'UK no claims' but worth it in the end.

Chris
Mine would be a French 'no-claims', so that would set the cat amongst the pigeons..... Thanks.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

You would probably find it easier. Seemingly one of the reasons for the reluctance to accept UK no claims is because of driving on the right hand side. Not a problem coming from France. I would shop around with insurance companies based in Quebec.

Chris
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

You would probably find it easier. Seemingly one of the reasons for the reluctance to accept UK no claims is because of driving on the right hand side. Not a problem coming from France. I would shop around with insurance companies based in Quebec.

Chris
Sorry for the lateness of my response. Only just noticed your post. Thank you. That was a good idea to go through Quebec. However, thanks to other advice on here to go through Johnson, I managed to insure my modest Golf for a quarter at $1084 p.a., of what CAA wanted to extort (@$4368 p.a.!!)from me, treating me as a 'new' driver, as my UK driving licence was exchanged for an ON one just before last Christmas.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

Chris
Sorry Chris. Of course it was you who recommended Johnson. Thanks again.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

No problem, as i said they can be a bit demanding in paperwork, but they saved me over CAD$6,000 on the two cars we insured with them.

Chris
Old Jun 10th 2008, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Hi,

We live just outside Calgary, Alberta and recommend Hi Alta insurance brokers in High River, Alberta to anyone moving to the Calgary area. They use an insurance company called SGI, who will take into account your UK no claims bonus (which makes a big difference). I always get people to photocopy their UK driving licence (including the paper counter part) before swapping it for an Alberta licence (which must be done within 90 days of becoming a resident of Alberta), so if the insurance company want to check for demerit points, they check the copy of your UK licence!

Hope this helps

Eddie.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:44 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Axa Equity and Law also accept UK NCB without any questions if you have an Axa policy. Well worth considering a switch to the Insurance companies who do this in the UK.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

twigs is an unknown quantity at this point

When you exchange your UK License do they take both your card & counterpart license?

Thanks
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

At some point your GB driving experience ends up on your record. We swapped in ON, then went straight to MB for 2yrs and came back to ON. When getting quotes in ON this time around, the insurer was able to access our record (we had to sign something to give permission - I can't remember what the record was called, I want to say MVP but that's not it ) and they could see our full driving history - GB driving included. Well, I lost a year in the process but since I only came with 9mths, it's not important. OH's full 17yrs or whatever were visible to Canadian insurers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.