British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Car hire in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/car-hire-uk-946609/)

Snowy560 Jan 3rd 2023 9:24 pm

Car hire in the UK

Dear all
We need to hire a car at Heathrow in a few months but we need to find one that our 22 yo can also drive. She has a full Canadian licence.

Can anyone suggest a car hire firm that has reasonable rates for someone of this age. My husband will also drive.

Thank you.

DMajor Jan 3rd 2023 11:59 pm

Re: Car hire in the UK

Enterprise at Heathrow are very good.
Heathrow Airport, Northern Perimeter Rd, Hounslow TW6 2RY
+44 208 897 2100

Used them a few times, never had any problems

Snowy560 Jan 4th 2023 12:13 am

Thank you for the suggestion!

dbd33 Jan 4th 2023 1:34 am

Originally Posted by DMajor (Post 13163241)
+44 208 897 2100

Yeah, I crashed one of their cars last year and it all got sorted out with minimal hassle.

christmasoompa Jan 4th 2023 9:46 am

Originally Posted by DMajor (Post 13163241)
+44 208 897 2100

Enterprise minimum age is 25 though. https://www.enterprise.co.uk/en/help...ent-a-car.html

Snowy, this may help narrow it down a bit - https://www.vroomvroomvroom.co.uk/re...n/minimum-age/

Snowy560 Jan 4th 2023 1:44 pm

Thank you!

btar Jan 4th 2023 4:26 pm

Try MoneyMaxim | Compare Car Hire & Excess Insurance
We've found them competitive in the past but no recent experience.

Snowy560 Jan 4th 2023 7:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I also found turo.com

Which is like Airbnb for cars.

I'm reading mixed reviews.

Sunnybrae Jan 5th 2023 8:53 am

I would try and stick with one of the big ones like Enterprise, Avis etc. Not too long ago I hired a car at Bristol Airport with one of the lesser known hirers and when we arrived to collect the vehicle an hour or so late due to late flight arrival, from memory around 6pm, their office was shut. We had to hire another vehicle with Avis as all the mainstream hirers were still open. I got my money back from the other one but it was a hassle, I guess you get what you pay for.

Snowy560 Jan 5th 2023 9:09 pm

We found a local Toyota dealership which we knew when we were living there. They rent cars. The price is very reasonable and my daughter can drive as long as she can prove she's held a full licence for at least two years. We'll just have to take a taxi from the airport.

Pulaski Jan 6th 2023 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 13163732)
.... We'll just have to take a taxi from the airport.

I was about to recommend that - the rental agencies at airports are considerably more expensive, so taking a train or taxi to your destination and then renting a car there can make a lot of sense, especially if you can rent a smaller car that doesn't need to carry all your luggage from the airport.

BTW Can your daughter drive a manual transmission car? Most cheaper rentals in the UK are still manual, and you will have to request an automatic if you need one. Personally, I would recommend an automatic for a younger driver who is not used to driving on the left.

Snowy560 Jan 6th 2023 3:24 am

Thanks for your comments. No she doesn't drive manual. We will ask for an automatic!

Pulaski Jan 6th 2023 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 13163778)
Thanks for your comments. No she doesn't drive manual. We will ask for an automatic!

Very smart! .... Even if you're experienced and fully comfortable with a manual transmission it can take some time to get used to reaching for the gear lever with your other hand when switching between RHD and LHD. I had only owned manuals in the UK when I came to the US, and bought a manual Mustang, and it took me about six months to stop reflexively reaching for the door handle with my left hand. :lol:

ChrisBan Jan 6th 2023 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 13163427)
Thanks for the suggestions.

I also found turo.com

Which is like Airbnb for cars.

I'm reading mixed reviews.

yes if using Turo, take photos of EVERYTHING before you drive off. Heard of multiple horror stories of owners claiming renters were responsible for damaged caused by the owner.

Snowy560 Jan 6th 2023 11:50 pm

Thanks both! We will definitely get an automatic and have decided against Turo although maybe I'd use them in the future. I read the horror stories too!
i would have used Turo for this trip if we hadn't found the Toyota dealership.