Car financing

Old May 5th 2016, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

NorthWestGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car financing

Hello all,

I'm currently on my 2nd work visa here in Ontario. I have a full time job and I'm currently in the final stage of getting my Provincial Nomination.

I'm just wondering what experience people have had in the past getting car financing while on a work visa? We purchased a car 2 years ago on finance and had no issues, we have a good history here in Canada but are struggling to get financed this time round.

Any information on credit limits, or information on banks which have helped you would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 6th 2016, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car financing

Originally Posted by NorthWestGuy
Hello all,

I'm currently on my 2nd work visa here in Ontario. I have a full time job and I'm currently in the final stage of getting my Provincial Nomination.

I'm just wondering what experience people have had in the past getting car financing while on a work visa? We purchased a car 2 years ago on finance and had no issues, we have a good history here in Canada but are struggling to get financed this time round.

Any information on credit limits, or information on banks which have helped you would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Have you contacted the finance company you dealt with first time around?
Old May 6th 2016, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I know many credit lenders will limit the terms of loans to the expiry of the current work permit, so if you are towards the end of your current work permit this may be the issue.

Sounds like you should probably talk to a broker with all your PNP paperwork and see if they can work something out for you.
Old May 8th 2016, 11:20 am
Just Joined

NorthWestGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I know many credit lenders will limit the terms of loans to the expiry of the current work permit, so if you are towards the end of your current work permit this may be the issue.

Sounds like you should probably talk to a broker with all your PNP paperwork and see if they can work something out for you.

Thank you for the advice, it worked a treat. I got a letter from my immigration solicitor explaining my situation and the likely hood of my approval.
The bank did a full 360 and accepted the proposed financing.
Old May 9th 2016, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

I got 4 years finance with 2 years left on my WP. The question never came up if i was a PR or not and there is no way for them to find out your status. don't lie if asked but don't volunteer any information.

The loan is secured on the car so it makes no difference to them.
Old May 9th 2016, 12:43 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johntheScot
The loan is secured on the car so it makes no difference to them.
Depends on how much you borrow, cars depreciate, so often the asset is worth less than the loan, it can get stolen, crash, a mobile asset as security is not a good one. In default, the resell value at auction is a fraction of the cost.

Banks are in the business of money, not collecting and disposing of vehicles.

Last edited by Aviator; May 9th 2016 at 12:45 am.
Old May 9th 2016, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

sure but the guys who sell the finance at the dealers only want their commission could not care less about much else.

may be different if you are trying to borrow 80k for a bmw rather than 25k for a chev
Old May 9th 2016, 3:36 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johntheScot
sure but the guys who sell the finance at the dealers only want their commission could not care less about much else.

may be different if you are trying to borrow 80k for a bmw rather than 25k for a chev
The OP seems to be using a bank, not dealer financing and banks don't give commissions for lending, they are looking for security.

Dealers don't sell financing either. They fill in the forms and it goes off to the finance company for verification and approval. Dealers make their money on the up sells, insurances and all the other stuff you don't need for your car, but buy anyway as its only a few dollar a week more!
Old May 9th 2016, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

The op seems to have got their situation sorted

dealer finance people are finance brokers, brokers get paid commission

New FCA rules announced today mean commission disclosure for car dealers selling finance

they then try and make even more on the up sells as you have said.