Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car finance with Twp?

Car finance with Twp?

Old Dec 14th 2014, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car finance with Twp?

We went direct with VW in 2010, got a good rate (with a deposit) on a 2 year TWP.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morgansseeal
They were both dealerships, Go auto and Canada drives. It's because we're new to Canada, have no credit history here and are here on a twp. I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this and could offer us some advice.
I was reading an article which criticised dealerships duping customers into signing finance agreements at ridiculously high interest rates, with the promise of reducing the rates after regular payments were made for a year, but this isn't true apparently, they were unable to change their credit agreements. This means that after a year or two, your car maybe only worth a few thousand dollars but could owe over 10000 on finance.
We don't have much money left after furnishing a house, flights and newborn, but don't want to get in debt over a car either. Looked at renting one with enterprise for a month but that was too expensive.
Just wanted to hear from others who were maybe in the same situation as us to see if we could get a better deal.
We will be buying our 1st car when we give our temporary one back at the the end of January. We bank with Conexus and will be financing the remainder of the price of the car after putting a hefty deposit down (we are buying new).
30% is well steep mate, I think they are taking the p**s as you have just got off the plane. We was told from Conexus that we should not buy the car out right and get a portion on finance as a way to build our credit history.
When we visited our car dealer they told us we could only get finance for the length of our TWP, you should be ok for 3 years. Also jus to let you know the rate that was offered by them was 2.49% annually at Jeep Chrysler.

Good luck with the purchase mate
Old Dec 14th 2014, 4:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyhammers
We was told from Conexus that we should not buy the car out right and get a portion on finance as a way to build our credit history.
It may have been more to do with them making money from a loan. You can build credit history by getting a couple of cards and paying off the balance monthly, with no finance charges.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
It may have been more to do with them making money from a loan. You can build credit history by getting a couple of cards and paying off the balance monthly, with no finance charges.
Yes thats right, we have a card now but with a set limit. The loan, although not that much, just helps with us with our credit score.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 5:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyhammers
Yes thats right, we have a card now but with a set limit. The loan, although not that much, just helps with us with our credit score.
It would, however this can also be achieved without taking out a loan and paying finance charges. Paying off credit cards and store cards on time achieves the same result.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

TartanTrace is an unknown quantity at this point

We were in same position last month and had to stump up 25% deposit as minimum before the dealership would look at us. They said bank (Scotia) have a program for TWP's but no flexibility. Good luck!
Old Dec 15th 2014, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

MrHappy83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I moved to BC at the end of July on an 8 month work permit and got a vehicle on lease from a main dealership for a very minimal interest rate, 2 months after I got here.
It was much much cheaper than financing a used car I looked at by a massive amount. Although I did have to put some money down initially for the brand new car.
I would suggest going to a large main dealership even if you have a very minimal credit history in Canada.
They helped me out.
Hope this helps
Old Dec 16th 2014, 8:05 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

I was approved through Jeep for my new wrangler, put down 10% deposit and was approved for a rate of 4.05% and my SIN number starts with a 9. Credit history was 10 months old.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

MrHappy83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to Ford
0.4% interest rate
Old Dec 17th 2014, 4:52 am
Just Joined

morgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone, we'll look into buying a new one instead! Thought it would be cheaper to go for a used car, see what happens!
Old Dec 17th 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by morgansseeal
Thank you everyone, we'll look into buying a new one instead! Thought it would be cheaper to go for a used car, see what happens!
If you factor in depreciation, which is higher from new, it may be much lower total cost of ownership to buy used. We always buy dealer demos and get a discount to cover the initial off the lot hit.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 5:13 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you factor in depreciation, which is higher from new, it may be much lower total cost of ownership to buy used. We always buy dealer demos and get a discount to cover the initial off the lot hit.
Indeed - my purchase this month was an 18mth old vehicle, with dealership approved warranty for 4yrs. Finance rates were the same as new stock, and I saved $10k over new price.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

snowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud of

We got finance from Nissan..they too, do special deals for immigrants and people with new credit scores.Originally advertised in Alberta, but I managed that route in Ontario.
I was approved for lease and Finance but it had to be over 48 months .
Old Dec 26th 2014, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

We went direct to Ford and got a lease vehicle for 2 years on a 22 month TWP - pay a bit more to lease it but we can now buy the car for $4000 less than the same vehicle on the Ford forecourt.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:24 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine had trouble trying to lease a car from Ford in the past.

When she asked why thins were so difficult the replied "you're here on a work permit and you might leave Canada and take the car with you"

Her response .. "If that was my intention, I'd be at the BMW dealership!!"

Priceless