Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car dealerships & Cars

Car dealerships & Cars

Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car dealerships & Cars

TDI.......

It has been a few years since I had a Oldsmobile diesel and a Volkswagen Diesel but I remember well being stuck because the diesel fuel 'jelled' during the night and therefore wouldn't start the next day. Very inconvenient!
Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
not always..its called negotiating a deal
If we're talking under $1000 or so, perhaps. Anything over that and it's gonna be lumped in to the new loan.... OR.... (most likely) they artificially raise the price of the new car.

If you think otherwise, I'm afraid you've likely been taken advantage of.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
This is a classic misconception about winter tires
Well I was generalizing, let's put it like this - it gets a lot colder in Alberta than it does in NS and I've never had snow or winter tires on my car (oddly I did have them in the UK years ago).

It depends on a number of factors, where you drive, how often you drive, what kind of car it is, what kind of tires it already has, etc. Snow clearance is an issue, less snow clearance the more ice you end up with also. I don't think you can generalize and say yes you should get them. It depends.

At the end of the day you may end up needing chains, even.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbie2801
I wish however, that I had thought to copy my UK driving licence (as had copied almost everything else!) but do have my no claims confirmation.
I found in Alberta that to get a good rate I needed in writing from my former insurers a signed statement of no claims, the usual sort of no claims you would use in the UK didn't cut it. Apparently there is some sort of central clearing house used in the UK to avoid fraud, but Canadian insurers obviously have no clue about that, the company I ended up using wanted written proof and it was a PITA to get. I didn't have a copy of my licence either, fortunately my previous insurer did.

However, I've never seen anyone post on here an insurance rate they've gotten in Alberta anywhere near to what I've got, so it was worth the effort.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

sta123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd avoid diesel in Canada to be honest. The new VW TDi's have the adblue tank that has to be kept topped up. If it runs empty, the engine wont start.
Then you have the issue of the dpf exhaust, and adblue chemical has a heater to the tank as it has to be kept in between -10 to 30 degrees.

Then, wait till the system goes wrong and it will cost a fortune to repair.
Read about it here http://www.facebook.com/BanDiesels

Last edited by sta123; Apr 17th 2012 at 9:23 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Paul in Calgary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debbie2801
Hi All, we have just moved to Halifax from Kent and are just starting to get ourselves sorted but need a car asap. Can anyone recommend a car dealership that is trustworthy and also what make of car please? There are just the two of us but we're unsure whether we need 4WD or not as do plan on snow tyres. And has anyone used Johnson for insurance as understand that they do recognise NCD from Uk insurers. Thanks, all replies, so gratefully received!
Here is an online classified ads site for Halifax
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/
Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

laidback4 is on a distinguished road

HTML Code:
The new VW TDi's have the adblue tank that has to be kept topped up
Ive got a TDI Jetta, fairly new (2 years old). There's no adblue tank in my car. I belive some of the larger Mercedes models have to have them though. Never missed a beat and superb mpg.

Last edited by laidback4; Apr 17th 2012 at 9:35 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:50 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
If we're talking under $1000 or so, perhaps. Anything over that and it's gonna be lumped in to the new loan.... OR.... (most likely) they artificially raise the price of the new car.

If you think otherwise, I'm afraid you've likely been taken advantage of.
you must think i fell from the nearest tree....i have been buying cars for years i know all the tricks car dealers use by inflating car prices to offset any discounts or 0% finance deals bollox..if they want your business they will do a deal and if they know you know what they know then even better.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

sta123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by laidback4
HTML Code:
The new VW TDi's have the adblue tank that has to be kept topped up
Ive got a TDI Jetta, fairly new (2 years old). There's no adblue tank in my car. I belive some of the larger Mercedes models have to have them though. Never missed a beat and superb mpg.
Even the smaller VW's have them in the UK now. I think the adblue came about to pass emmisions for some USA states.