Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car dealerships & Cars

Car dealerships & Cars

Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

debbie2801 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car dealerships & Cars

Hi All, we have just moved to Halifax from Kent and are just starting to get ourselves sorted but need a car asap. Can anyone recommend a car dealership that is trustworthy and also what make of car please? There are just the two of us but we're unsure whether we need 4WD or not as do plan on snow tyres. And has anyone used Johnson for insurance as understand that they do recognise NCD from Uk insurers. Thanks, all replies, so gratefully received!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Car dealerships & Cars

Originally Posted by debbie2801
Hi All, we have just moved to Halifax from Kent and are just starting to get ourselves sorted but need a car asap. Can anyone recommend a car dealership that is trustworthy and also what make of car please? There are just the two of us but we're unsure whether we need 4WD or not as do plan on snow tyres. And has anyone used Johnson for insurance as understand that they do recognise NCD from Uk insurers. Thanks, all replies, so gratefully received!
We just bought a Ford Escape from Denise Josey @ Fairley & Stevens on Windmill Road...I would recommend them.

We've got the Ford and I've got a Saab 95...I run the Saab on performance tires and the Escape on winters in the winter and we'll be swapping them to all seasons soon.

4x4 not really, but winter tires are recommended if you're not confident in the snow as it can get quite hairy on the highways, especially if you get caught in the initial snow fall where it can get quite slippery.

Johnsons really is the only choice for UK NCD recogonition.

Last edited by spaceace; Apr 9th 2012 at 2:43 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 11:09 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi debbie2801,

I'm not in Canada but wanted to pop by and welcome you to the forum. I hope you are settling in ok.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 11:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Get something German or Japanese if you want it to last. A used Subaru wagon with a set of winter tyres will do you fine for many years.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Word of warning. Dont take ANYONE'S word about car salesmen being "trustworthy", as they're all as bad as each other. Remember, it's their job to sell you a car for as much as they can. My advice would be to do your research with regards to prices otherwise you can very easily get ripped off.

I would recommend Johnsons, as they tend to be the cheapest and provide decent service. You also get a lot of extras through them that you dont get from anyone else. PS- it's not the NCD that they recognise, it's the number of claims free years.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I forgot to add... Welcome to Halifax
Old Apr 9th 2012, 11:36 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

yes welcome to Nova Scotia.
Be careful, I wanted a TDi and was told there arent any. Given that we had so much to buy I stupidly did not question that. We have a Pontiac G6 which I do like a lot but is crippling us in gas and now I need to change to a TDi as actually there are loads here.

The reason I say be careful is really think about how much driving you will be doing and be as cautious on that front as you may have been in England. We bought in haste and are repenting at leisure....
Old Apr 9th 2012, 11:39 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

and in my opinion you do need winter tires, I dont think that studded ones are essential but def winter tires.

Apparently this guy is great, hes been hugely recommended by loads:
http://vehicles.wheels.ca/dealer-pro...otivesalesinc/

as honest and trustworthy
Old Apr 10th 2012, 12:14 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Be careful, I wanted a TDi and was told there arent any. Given that we had so much to buy I stupidly did not question that. We have a Pontiac G6 which I do like a lot but is crippling us in gas and now I need to change to a TDi as actually there are loads here.

The reason I say be careful is really think about how much driving you will be doing and be as cautious on that front as you may have been in England. We bought in haste and are repenting at leisure....
I don't understand. Was it that you wanted a TDI because you thought it was the most economical but ended up with a pontiac G6, as it was the next best thing? Its unfortunate, as you would have thought even in this pioneer country there maybe some middle ground.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 12:23 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

How juicy is it? I thought they were quite economical gas wise, but maybe that is just my perception of it, as it is a car rather than a van?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 12:44 am
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

We bought a Honda Civic recently from the Honda dealer in Bible Hill just outside Truro. Perhaps a little far out for if you are in Halifax but they were fantastic. We wanted something big enough for our family of 3 and economical at the same time because my husband will be travelling to and from Pictou for work and so far so good!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 12:06 pm
Happy

It was one of those rash decisions as we were fed up of trying to decide and it looked nice and still looks nice and was lovely to drive. Its more economical than our van but its costing me double the price to get to work and back than a TDi would according to my spreadsheet calcs.

I recall saying but it has a 3.5L engine! and being met with - so??? I was laughed at when I mentioned I had had a 1.4L Citroen in the UK, and with everything else at the time and two children who had had enough, we thought sod it.

That was one of the stoopidist sod it decisions ever made.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 12:26 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

It was one of those rash decisions as we were fed up of trying to decide and it looked nice and still looks nice and was lovely to drive. Its more economical than our van but its costing me double the price to get to work and back than a TDi would according to my spreadsheet calcs.
I recall saying but it has a 3.5L engine! and being met with - so??? I was laughed at when I mentioned I had had a 1.4L Citroen in the UK, and with everything else at the time and two children who had had enough, we thought sod it.

That was one of the stoopidist sod it decisions ever made.
I've not done the detailled calculations, but TDI (I'm assuming you are talking about a VW). Does the premium you'll pay for a TDI, plus the premium you pay for diesel over gas really offset the additional mileage? And if it does for a Pontiac G6v6, would it do so compared to a more economical gas engined vehicle such as a Honda Civic?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:46 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I've not done the detailled calculations, but TDI (I'm assuming you are talking about a VW). Does the premium you'll pay for a TDI, plus the premium you pay for diesel over gas really offset the additional mileage? And if it does for a Pontiac G6v6, would it do so compared to a more economical gas engined vehicle such as a Honda Civic?
thanks, that is making me really look into this now. But diesel is currently 10c less than gas and a good diesel as I know it just goes on and on. We had a good diesel car in the UK and tbh I miss it.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, that is making me really look into this now. But diesel is currently 10c less than gas and a good diesel as I know it just goes on and on. We had a good diesel car in the UK and tbh I miss it.
The Audi Q7 has a nice TDI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.