Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car Dealerships in Calgary

Car Dealerships in Calgary

Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:20 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice
Default Car Dealerships in Calgary

Hi

We arrived in Calgary on Wednesday and need to get a car sorted asap. We are looking for a Japanese model only a couple years old costing $10,000 to 15,000. Can anyone recommend a dealership in Calgary where we are likely to be able to get financing on such a car? We are Permanent Residents, but neither of us have jobs yet.

As obtaining credit at the moment is much harder than in previous years, I'd really be interested in peoples experience over the past 6/12 months. Particularly which dealership, who you spoke to and what deal you got.

Also, though we've only just arrived, we have had 2 mortgages with TD for 2 1/2 years. Do you think we'd be able to get a car loan from the bank? (n.b. we still own the properties and have the mortgages) I can check properly with the bank next week, but if anyone can share any experience on this in the meantime, I would appreciate it.

Many Thanks
Helen

Last edited by IckleHelen; Mar 28th 2009 at 11:31 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Car Dealerships in Calgary

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Hi

We arrived in Calgary on Wednesday and need to get a car sorted asap. We are looking for a Japanese model only a couple years old costing $10,000 to 15,000. Can anyone recommend a dealership in Calgary where we are likely to be able to get financing on such a car? We are Permanent Residents, but neither of us have jobs yet.

As obtaining credit at the moment is much harder than in previous years, I'd really be interested in peoples experience over the past 6/12 months. Particularly which dealership, who you spoke to and what deal you got.

Also, though we've only just arrived, we have had 2 mortgages with TD for 2 1/2 years. Do you think we'd be able to get a car loan from the bank? (n.b. we still own the properties and have the mortgages) I can check properly with the bank next week, but if anyone can share any experience on this in the meantime, I would appreciate it.

Many Thanks
Helen
I'm not sure where you stand re: financing, as you have to have a fairly good credit rating to get any kind of financing at all. I'll PM you a good dealer though...
Old Mar 29th 2009, 4:01 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Obtaining credit is highly contingent on your ability to repay. The credit grantor will need to know/have firm proof that you have sufficient income to cover all liabilities. Can you put up cash collateral to secure a car loan?
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

jonjws is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't buy anything from Maclin ford the staff there are completely useless.

john
Old Mar 29th 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

I know its outside of Calgary but I've heard good things about High River Toyota and I've also heard good things about Okotoks Honda.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 4:26 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam-in-Okotoks
I know its outside of Calgary but I've heard good things about High River Toyota and I've also heard good things about Okotoks Honda.
How much did they pay you to say that Sam.

JOKE
Old Mar 29th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

I know what you said was joke but I didn't find it to funny. I know people who have purchased cars from both these places and have been happy with the service.

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
How much did they pay you to say that Sam.

JOKE

Last edited by Sam-in-Okotoks; Mar 29th 2009 at 6:56 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

leecyndisanders is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Northill Mazda
Re Financing, i was just accepted for a 14000 frinance on a new travel trailer and only been working for 3 weeks
Old Mar 29th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

We bought both our cars from Okotoks Ford. Although one or two of the salespeople down there are a bit pushy for our liking, the chap we dealt with was anything but. Anyone looking to buy down this way can PM us for his name.

We also got one of the two cars on Ford finance, arranged via the dealership. We put down about 30% of the price of the car and financed the rest. At that point, our credit rating would have been modest, at best. Perhaps the scale of the deposit we put down was a factor in getting approved as to be honest, we were not expecting approval at that point.

Hey Butch...you have met me and you know...no referral fees/no kick-backs here.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

I know what you said was joke but I didn't find it to funny. I know people who have purchased cars from both these places and have been happy with the service.
We bought from Okotoks Honda and are thrilled with our Pilot
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Hi

Also, though we've only just arrived, we have had 2 mortgages with TD for 2 1/2 years. Do you think we'd be able to get a car loan from the bank? (n.b. we still own the properties and have the mortgages)
Go with the bank every time. It's much more important to establish your relationship with them rather than one-off with some second hand car dealer.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snoopster
We bought from Okotoks Honda and are thrilled with our Pilot
The Honda Pilot is on our wish list, really nice vehicle. Hope you don't mind me asking but what miles per gallon are you getting from it ?? I think we will go for a Pilot or a Highlander !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

The Honda Pilot is on our wish list, really nice vehicle. Hope you don't mind me asking but what miles per gallon are you getting from it ?? I think we will go for a Pilot or a Highlander !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had sold and owned quite a few Pilots and Acura MDX luxury version and you should be able to average about 21 mpg. The MDX is very much a nicer ride than the Pilot. Can’t help you much with the financing as the financial companies we used would not touch you with out an income.