Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car brands/models in Canada ?

Car brands/models in Canada ?

Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car brands/models in Canada ?

Originally Posted by iaink
and some serious discounting from manufacturers anxious to shift product from the forecourt.
What sort of a discount should I be aiming for on a new vehicle?
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
I saw a 2010 Ford on a forecourt yesterday discounted $7,000 to just under $20,000.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

soontobecanadianresident is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
By your own admission, driving distances are greater here, so your budget for gas will be blown if you've traded up to something bigger.
Not necessarily.

Say I drive a small car that does 45mpg in the UK and I do say 9000 miles a year with a diesel price of 145p. That would cost me £1318.37 a year.

Now say I drive a crossover in Canada with 30mpg doing 11000 miles a year with petrol price of 122cents. That would cost me £1289.97 a year.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

New cars are (generally) discounted so much as to make MRSP's meaningless IMHO. It's worth looking at the flyers in the local papers & the promotions generally available on the manufacturer's websites to gain an appreciation of the market price of an Escape, Beetle or whatever.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soontobecanadianresident
Again missing the point

I'm not saying that because the roads are bigger the cars should be bigger, that's like saying if the roads are blue the cars should be blue

My point is that if the roads are more suited for driving bigger cars then driving a bigger car makes sense. If a car shaped like an egg was more suited to driving on bigger roads with winter weather then I would be saying it makes sense to drive an egg shaped car. Simples.
I am clearly missing the point? What is so special about driving on Canadian roads?

As I said, I had a jeep at first because I felt intimidated by the size of the trucks and that here. Now I drive a honda civic, which uses far less gas and is far more comfortable, not to mention far cheaper to buy and maintain one with a decent spec. My wife ferries the kids around a subaru legacy which is a great choice in the winter if you absolutely have to go somewhere.

The only real downside of these "regular" cars is that I cant see past all the <expletive deleted> drivers of great tall minivans and SUVs! On the otherhand, I can get past them pretty fast and leave them in the corners. If you dont regularly tow a boat or horsetrailer, and transport at least 5 adults and a big dog, do yourself a favour, leave the SUV idea to the chelsea tractor set.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 12th 2011 at 7:10 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:06 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily.

Say I drive a small car that does 45mpg in the UK and I do say 9000 miles a year with a diesel price of 145p. That would cost me £1318.37 a year.

Now say I drive a crossover in Canada with 30mpg doing 11000 miles a year with petrol price of 122cents. That would cost me £1289.97 a year.
No it wouldn't. It would cost you $2060 or thereabouts. Conversion back into sterling is meaningless. It's what it costs in CAD$ vs. what you earn/have as disposable income/budgetted for your car costs in CAD$ that matters.

BTW Gas here is $1.34/l and a crossover that does 30mpg in the real world? Doubtful.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:08 pm
Slightly Canadian

I am clearly missing the point? What is so special about driving on Canadian roads?.
Well, hereabouts they are truly in shit state. There is something to be said for driving a SUV with beefy suspension to survive.

Car threads are good aren't they? Always get lots of posts.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily.

You really think you are only going to be doing 22% more miles here? Please take a look at a map of Canada, paying particular attention to the scale
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

I think we should all just agree to disagree and get back to helping poor old flyingdutchman with his original questions. I feel like we've hijacked his thread a little here!

Apologies flyingdutchman!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:11 pm
Slightly Canadian

You really think you are only going to be doing 22% more miles here? Please take a look at a map of Canada, paying particular attention to the scale
I do less miles here than in the UK. Something to do with only being able to drive so far before falling off the edge of the Rock.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should all just agree to disagree and get back to helping poor old flyingdutchman with his original questions. I feel like we've hijacked his thread a little here!
Apologies flyingdutchman!
Haha, that's one of the attractions of the good old British Expats site - you know where you start, but you never know where it's going to end !!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
There are websites dedicated to just this topic, as well as sites you can order invoice pricing info from.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
No it wouldn't. It would cost you $2060 or thereabouts. Conversion back into sterling is meaningless. It's what it costs in CAD$ vs. what you earn/have as disposable income/budgetted for your car costs in CAD$ that matters.

BTW Gas here is $1.34/l and a crossover that does 30mpg in the real world? Doubtful.
Conversion is not meaningless to a British expat with UK investments and UK income.

As for gas, I checked local prices from a suburb in the GTA and for a crossover that does over 30mpg, check out the Nissan Juke, real enough for ya!

Apologies again flyingdutch, I couldn't resist! Lol!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Conversion is not meaningless to a British expat with UK investments and UK income.

As for gas, I checked local prices from a suburb in the GTA and for a crossover that does over 30mpg, check out the Nissan Juke, real enough for ya!

Apologies again flyingdutch, I couldn't resist! Lol!
My God that's ugly. It looks like the Murano.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:16 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

My point is that if the roads are more suited for driving bigger cars

If you want a big car, get a big car. Don't make excuses for the reasons. Don't fall for the same shit that many people do over in North America by thinking bigger is better and/or more suitable for the average joe.

I'm just wondering how much driving you've actually done in Canada, in a variation of vehicles in different conditions, to come to the conclusions you have.

Just buy what you want. It's your choice, your vehicle, and your money so **** what anybody else thinks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.