Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car brands/models in Canada ?

Car brands/models in Canada ?

Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:53 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Car brands/models in Canada ?

I feel this thread is just too male orientated...so here's a girlie post

I love my Ford Fusion (which handles snow very nicely in all weather tires thank you) but now I want an F-150 please Santa
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

soontobecanadianresident is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Ok your comment on the sales tax, was wrong.
No it wasn't. I just forgot that Alberta there is no sales tax on private used sales which I corrected in a later post

your comments on Japanese vs Euro vs American cars also wrong.
Again, where is the evidence that I am wrong? I offered my opinion based on ownership of Japanese, Euro and American cars.

your opinion that bigger cars are better on bigger roads etc. wrong
Just because someone's opinion is different from yours doesn't make it wrong

Here is my verifiable driving CV listing countries that I have driven in,
England, France , Spain,Italy, Holland, Belgium, Germany,Sweden, Switzerland, Poland, East Germany ( trabi racing was fun) Greece, Bulgeria, Romania Yugoslavia as was, Croatia,Turkey, Moroco, Algeria, Bali, Thailand, Singapore and more that dont spring to mind just yet, gray cells getting tired.
Admittedly impressive sounding driving history, if it is truthful (but given your previous posts, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a lie)

For me, take off Bali, Thailand, Singapore and Greece and add US, Canada, Portugal, Denmark, Austria, Egypt (never again!), Albania and Hungary from what I can remember, there are probably others en route to others but can't remember, gray cells and what have you

If you want, for the next round we can get our manhoods out and measure them, or have a p***ing contest? Lol

Last edited by soontobecanadianresident; Sep 12th 2011 at 9:00 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:02 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soontobecanadianresident
In my opinion the bigger roads are suited to bigger cars based on my experience of driving bigger cars and other Canadians experience of driving bigger cars.
Yep, but that's like saying bigger fields are better suited to bigger cows. There's no logical reason to go larger, unless it's for practical reasons.

In my opinion I would stay away from American brands as I believe in my opinion that Japanese/European cars are more reliable and better overall which is based on my experience with cars and through speaking with family members in Canada!
Brands are irrelevant. Knowledge of where specific models are actually assembled is of more value.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:03 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Because I'm the only one speaking out does not mean that I am in the minority of one, I'm sure many people would agree that they would prefer to drive a bigger car in Canada otherwise no one would drive a bigger car there

Also, I can accept if any assertions I made are factually inaccurate if someone only highlighted, with evidence, exactly where my assertions were wrong as opposed to just slamming me down by saying 'Your wrong because you don't live in Canada!'
two spring to mind: I can't be bothered to go back and find them, but I'm sure you'll be gracious enough to agree...

- you suggested that second-hand vehicle sales were subject to sales tax. It was pointed out that this is a provincial matter and not applicable to parts of the country.

- you asserted that build quality in US marques was worse than in "Japanese brands." After some knowledgeable people pointed out that many US-badged cars are made outside North America, and many Japanese (and European) manufacturers build the vehicles for this market in facilities inside the NAFTA region, you went a bit quiet. Not necessarily factually inaccurate, I'll grant you (Ford, for example, took a spanking in this year's JD Power survey after four years of successive improvements), but not exactly the informed opinion you suggested.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:04 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

No it wasn't. I just forgot that Alberta there is no sales tax on private used sales which I corrected in a later post
that doesn't make your first statement any less inaccurate, though, does it?
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
that doesn't make your first statement any less inaccurate, though, does it?
Hang on a minute though! My first statement wasn't exactly inaccurate.

I stated that the OP needed to be aware that he will have to pay sales tax on a used car in Canada. Is that statement inaccurate? No. In most states he will have to pay sales tax on a used car except for a few exceptions.

Ok I admit that it's not the case everywhere but it is essentially correct that he will have to pay tax on used cars in Canada. I was just highlighting a point that generally goes unnoticed until you actually go to buy a used car. Surely it is better to be aware that the tax exists in case he has to pay it rather than to be completely oblivious to it until he goes to buy a used car? I was just trying to be helpful in highlighting a crazy tax that doesn't exist in the UK but exists in most of Canada.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I stated that the OP needed to be aware that he will have to pay sales tax on a used car in Canada. Is that statement inaccurate? No. In most states he will have to pay sales tax on a used car except for a few exceptions.

Ok I admit that it's not the case everywhere but it is essentially correct that he will have to pay tax on used cars in Canada. I was just highlighting a point that generally goes unnoticed until you actually go to buy a used car. Surely it is better to be aware that the tax exists in case he has to pay it rather than to be completely oblivious to it until he goes to buy a used car? I was just trying to be helpful in highlighting a crazy tax that doesn't exist in the UK but exists in most of Canada.
I thought we were talking about Canada ( Provinces) you've now made a quantum leap into the US.
Oh and I forgot Austria, America Canada and Mexico on my list of countries ive driven and worked in. You see 30 bonk years as a trucker you tend to get around a bit.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

My VW is made in Mexico (and a pile of Junk), Toyota made in the USA.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:31 pm
Magnificently Withering

I stated that the OP needed to be aware that he will have to pay sales tax on a used car in Canada. Is that statement inaccurate? No.
Erm... yes. Yes it is. If you'd said "may have to pay sales tax depending on where you settle" you'd have a point, but if the OP moves to Alberta and buys a second hand car privately, he categorically will not have to pay sales tax.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:35 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Also, as a general rule, stay away from the American brands (lower quality, lower specs, lower reliability) unless you're on a tight budget as they are the cheaper brands in Canada. Japanese cars are more reliable and better equipped but also more expensive. European models are the most expensive and you may be surprised by some of the costs for supposedly cheaper models. In fact some of the European models cost exactly the same if not more than what you would pay in the UK.
Ah, and to put the record straight on some of the cost comparison issues (which are always subject to fluctuating exchange rates, so often difficult to substantiate very clearly), this is something I posted previously:

Here are some examples of list prices (imports and domestic, with BC HST included) for a variety of models sold here and in the UK. Green for cheaper in Canada, blue for cheaper in UK):

Mercedes ML350
Canada = $64,288 UK = £40,910 @x1.6 conversion rate = $65,456

Subaru WRX Sti
Canada = $46,614 UK = £28,000 @x1.6 conversion rate = $44,800

Ford Fiesta
Canada = $16,070 UK = £11,545 @x1.6 conversion rate = $18,632

Audi A3 TDi
Canada = $39,536 UK = £21,085 @x1.6 conversion rate = $33,736

Volvo XC70
Canada = $34,714 UK = £21,405 @x1.6 conversion rate = $34,248

Toyota Prius
Canada = $22,237 UK = £27,800 @x1.6 conversion rate = $44,480

BMW X5 xDrive50i
Canada = $83,216 UK = £55,080 @x1.6 conversion rate = $88,128

So, from that small sample it's apparent imports sometimes actually cost less here. On the current exchange rate, Volvo prices are almost identical, whereas Toyota's are much less expensive in Canada.

Take into account often far longer servicing intervals (my ML only requires a service every 15,000kms, whereas my Ford truck is every 6,000kms), then running costs can be less expensive too.

from: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8750490
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

I thought we were talking about Canada ( Provinces) you've now made a quantum leap into the US.
Oh and I forgot Austria, America Canada and Mexico on my list of countries ive driven and worked in. You see 30 bonk years as a trucker you tend to get around a bit.
My bad, apologies to Canada and Canadians everywhere for calling provinces states, better make sure I remember that for citizenship exam!

So you were a truck driver in those countries!! Unbelievable!! I take back what I said about impressive driving history. Firstly, truck drivers are awful drivers and secondly you weren't even driving a car in those countries so how can you consider yourself to be qualified to talk about cars!!

Now the moronic posts start to make sense.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

My bad, apologies to Canada and Canadians everywhere for calling provinces states, better make sure I remember that for citizenship exam!

So you were a truck driver in those countries!! Unbelievable!! I take back what I said about impressive driving history. Firstly, truck drivers are awful drivers and secondly you weren't even driving a car in those countries so how can you consider yourself to be qualified to talk about cars!!

Now the moronic posts start to make sense.
Who said I never drover cars in those countries ???? just because my profesion has taken me to just about all points on the globe doesnt meen I just drive trucks. You do make really big sweeping unfounded statements, and as for the " truck drivers are awful drivers " comment yes some are, but not most of them
Old Sep 12th 2011, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Erm... yes. Yes it is. If you'd said "may have to pay sales tax depending on where you settle" you'd have a point, but if the OP moves to Alberta and buys a second hand car privately, he categorically will not have to pay sales tax.
Seriously? You're really trying to argue that point? You're sticking to your guns that what I said is completely wrong??

This really is like banging my head against a wall. I say that in Canada there is sales tax to pay on used cars and you say that is wrong! It's like arguing with a child! So if someone asks me, is there sales tax on used cars in Canada, the correct answer is no?? The fully correct answer is yes but not if you reside in Alberta and buy from a private seller. Saying yes is also accurate. How do you not get that???
Old Sep 12th 2011, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Who said I never drover cars in those countries ???? just because my profesion has taken me to just about all points on the globe doesnt meen I just drive trucks. You do make really big sweeping unfounded statements, and as for the " truck drivers are awful drivers " comment yes some are, but not most of them
Ok Forrest.

All I can say is, glad you're in Manitoba!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink

There is no equivalent of a UK civic hatch, everything here has much larger engines.
The UK Civic has exactly the same 140hp 1.8 VTEC engine has the US/Canada Civic (no 2.2 diesel though). Main differences are (as stated) it is saloon rather than hatch and has more conservative styling than the UK model. This is one of those rare occasions where the North American version is better - it has independent rear suspension over torsion bar of the UK. Also the US version has better ipod options.

I think things are slowly converging with the European/US markets. Diesel even seems to be taking off in a modest way over there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.