Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can't Wait For Canada...

Can't Wait For Canada...

Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:16 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can't Wait For Canada...

so we are moving to the Cotswolds. Live goes on while we wait I guess....you gotta have a plan B
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:24 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't Wait For Canada...

Originally Posted by Tangram
so we are moving to the Cotswolds. Live goes on while we wait I guess....you gotta have a plan B
You most certainly do.....lovely part of the world, isn't it .....
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:35 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1066
You most certainly do.....lovely part of the world, isn't it .....
Yep, moving from beloved Bath to a little village, primarily for the school, but it's also very nice. Now.... just to sell ours now !
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:35 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but you have to have patience too! It doesnt happen overnight and it will be well worth the wait.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:57 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
Yes but you have to have patience too! It doesnt happen overnight and it will be well worth the wait.
I have patience and am well aware of timescales ( I also love your patronising tone ). But you can't put your life on hold for 3 years....this is not a rehearsal

Last edited by Tangram; Mar 24th 2006 at 9:51 am.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:19 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Very true (though I'd personally like to get my Plan A figured out; I feel like I'm always operating from Plan WTF).

Good luck with your move! Canada aint going anywhere (so I've heard).
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:28 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=hot wasabi peas]Very true (though I'd personally like to get my Plan A figured out; I feel like I'm always operating from Plan WTF).

LOL i thought it was just me
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:35 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Paul,

Good luck to you and yours, I've followed your stories and progress keenly hoping for a positive outcome, sorry it hasn't quite clicked for you and I know how hard you've tried and been flexible regarding finding work so respect for that.

Yes, 3 years is a long time to juggle life, some wait, some don't, what is "right" is what's right for you. I can see many more prospective immigrants dropping out over the next few months.....it's Canada's loss, in the main.

All the best for the future,

Rich.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

I have patience and am well aware of timescales ( I also love your patronising tone ). But you can't put your life on hold for 3 years....this is not a rehearsal

Perhaps what you should all do is drop this bloke an email and let him know how you feel of the system and the long wait....tell him to get his finger out!!!

Contact the Minister

You may send comments to the Honourable Monte Solberg at [email protected]. For a response, please include your return mailing address.
Please note that if you want application status information or to change your address, you may do so using our on-line services. Case status enquiries and change-of-address requests are not handled via the Minister’s e-mail address.

Mail

Please write to:

The Honourable Monte Solberg, P.C., M.P.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 1L1
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:23 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't mean to sound patronising! Everyone is different, we all expect these things to happen overnight (including me) and as you say life goes on and it certainly isn't a dress rehearsal! All the very best, I love the Cotswolds.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:59 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Corky
Perhaps what you should all do is drop this bloke an email and let him know how you feel of the system and the long wait....tell him to get his finger out!!!

Contact the Minister

You may send comments to the Honourable Monte Solberg at [email protected]. For a response, please include your return mailing address.
Please note that if you want application status information or to change your address, you may do so using our on-line services. Case status enquiries and change-of-address requests are not handled via the Minister’s e-mail address.

Mail

Please write to:

The Honourable Monte Solberg, P.C., M.P.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 1L1

Sounds like a good way of losing an application form, Corky........
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:14 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Paul,

Good luck to you and yours, I've followed your stories and progress keenly hoping for a positive outcome, sorry it hasn't quite clicked for you and I know how hard you've tried and been flexible regarding finding work so respect for that.

Yes, 3 years is a long time to juggle life, some wait, some don't, what is "right" is what's right for you. I can see many more prospective immigrants dropping out over the next few months.....it's Canada's loss, in the main.

All the best for the future,

Rich.
Hi Rich...thanks for the thoughts. I certainly haven't given up on Canada. The PR Visa application chugs along in the background, and the Resume are still being sent, but we are continuing as though we are staying permanently. Otherwise, as I say, it's 3 years in limbo....so we might aswell enjoy life until such time as something happens. Otherwise you will look back ( assuming u get in or not ) and say what did you do the last 40 months...... nothing , just waited.

Bollox to that my friend. We have two offers in for two different houses ( funnily enough one is a family desperate to sell as they are going to New Zealand, so their price has been reduced by £30,000 ). So another man's desperation is etc etc.

If offered, or job found, we would still give it a go in Canada despite the potential move, but until then life goes on as normal and my daughter will be able to get into a good school when we move.

I am actually happy either way....as most of the time I have been
Old Mar 25th 2006, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

That sounds great, we've spent some vacation time in the Cotswolds and always enjoyed it.

It sounds like you have a pretty good life in the UK, given the long slog involved in applying and them getting set up in Canada, why are you trying?

(Not trying to be contentious, just curious)
Old Mar 26th 2006, 6:45 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
That sounds great, we've spent some vacation time in the Cotswolds and always enjoyed it.

It sounds like you have a pretty good life in the UK, given the long slog involved in applying and them getting set up in Canada, why are you trying?

(Not trying to be contentious, just curious)
The usual reasons I guess..... need to try new things, experience, adventure, relatives, transferability of skills, generally nice place to raise kids .... etc.

And I agree it is quite an enviable position not to be 'escaping' from the UK for any particular reason.