Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can't sell the house and no plan B

Can't sell the house and no plan B

Old Jan 12th 2008, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't sell the house and no plan B

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Right then, I'll eat my hat if the eBay people put in an offer, but hey, it was worth a go, and it's still up there for 8 days.

I am optomistic with the 1st lot that came though, they were engaging and asked all the right questions.

Okay, my observations on 'the new look viewings':

We too much of the great advice on here, I made sure ALL the light in the house were on, this really did make a difference, made the house look a lot brighter (well it would woulden't it).

I cleaned the place from top to bottom, even thought my good lady does this most days anyway, I then did the walk though myself, as if I was the buyer, this really opened my eyes to things, me, as the owner of the house did not notice before.

Completely took onboard the clutter comment earlier in the thread, papers on the window ledge in the kitchin for instance, I put in the cupboard, kids toys on the bath, albeit tidy on the bath, I put in the cupboard, really made a difference I think.

Also planned the pitch pre-them coming, made notes as to points I needed to get accross, quiet area, community, things we had actually done, flooring, conservatory roof, kitchen replaced, fireplace etc...

And made them feel that they would be moving into a place that nothing needed doing, as we had done it all.

I actually really enjoyed doing it!!
Well done - I think it's that extra effort that will set you apart from the competion and will lead to a sale!

It's hard work, but keep it up as the reward is worth it.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Chris's update:

The eBay listing did get many many eye balls, I viewer came, but they were a no (wanted somewhere closer to town).

We since have reduced further to £239,000 and would accept a £230,000 offer - probably even less actually.

We have our open day tomorrow, the ad's gone in the paper, the agent have done a good job.

Flyers have been posted out to everyone in the price bracket (£275,000 to £200,000) and calls made to the database too.

We had a viewing last week, they came back for a 2nd viewing last Saturday and we were told it was between 2 houses, mine and another......

The other is now not a prospect, so that just leaves our house. Been told that they are waiting for some bank paperwork and an offer is forthcoming.

I am very optomistic about these people too, they were with us for an hour on the 2nd viewing and asked all the right questions.

And I quote 'this viewing has ticked ALL our boxes'!

Will update after the weekend and/or this elusive offer is forthcoming.

Chris.

PS. Mrs T_T_G bought loads of plants/flowers and filled a number of pots, chimney planters and blank areas in the garden, and it looks great, we also got rid of all the furniture in the conservatory and that makes it look HUGE!

PPS. We have 100% de-cluttered (this was great advise), also what looks great, putting every single light on in the house regardless of the time of day and lighting every decoration candle (and a number of strategically placed scented candles).
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds really promising. Everything comes to those who wait.....just some have to wait a little longer than others.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:37 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck these guys sound a go, we had a viewing on ours Monday but it didn't amount to anything

Move into our rental Feb 16th here and we have no spare dosh to buy furniture so its donations from friends who have been cool and it is a bit exciting - bit like when you first move out of home at 18!!!!

On an after note we are like you too, wanted to move out for more disposable income with a nominal mortgage, now we have to send mortgage back to UK and rent and utilities etc here too. Doesn't worry me overly but Mr MMC has lost all interest in the rental and the crap furniture so having to keep on the sunny side at all times to make him feel better.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by walkerv05
good luck with the viewing, we had an offer put in for ours today from the couple that viewed last night, still 5k lower than the listed price but we are getting desperate now,

yepn thats it ours has gone!!!!! paperwork came from the solicitors for us to sign, we are going to sweet talk my sis to let us stay there, we hope to be on our way by 1st week in July
thanks for all your karma guys
now the panic starts!!!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walkerv05
yepn thats it ours has gone!!!!! paperwork came from the solicitors for us to sign, we are going to sweet talk my sis to let us stay there, we hope to be on our way by 1st week in July
thanks for all your karma guys
now the panic starts!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Chris's update:

The eBay listing did get many many eye balls, I viewer came, but they were a no (wanted somewhere closer to town).

We since have reduced further to £239,000 and would accept a £230,000 offer - probably even less actually.

We have our open day tomorrow, the ad's gone in the paper, the agent have done a good job.

Flyers have been posted out to everyone in the price bracket (£275,000 to £200,000) and calls made to the database too.

We had a viewing last week, they came back for a 2nd viewing last Saturday and we were told it was between 2 houses, mine and another......

The other is now not a prospect, so that just leaves our house. Been told that they are waiting for some bank paperwork and an offer is forthcoming.

I am very optomistic about these people too, they were with us for an hour on the 2nd viewing and asked all the right questions.

Chris.

PS. Mrs T_T_G bought loads of plants/flowers and filled a number of pots, chimney planters and blank areas in the garden, and it looks great, we also got rid of all the furniture in the conservatory and that makes it look HUGE!

PPS. We have 100% de-cluttered (this was great advise), also what looks great, putting every single light on in the house regardless of the time of day and lighting every decoration candle (and a number of strategically placed scented candles).
I hope you get the offer soon. You deserve to sell it now as you have both put in so much effort and done all the right things. If no offer, at least you will know that you did everything.

Good luck for the open house.

Rob
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Youre options seem to me to be
  • Reduce the price again
  • Change agents?
  • Remortgage to liberate funds to come to canada with
  • hope for the best with renting it
  • Give up on Canada

Have an agent tell you what is "off-putting" about your house that is turning off prospective buyers? Are the appliances up to date, the walls a nice neutral color, is the garden/lawn well maintained, is it cluttered, etc.

You want the house to look warm and inviting to a buyer and show that there are possibilities for them to make it "their" home.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:34 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Chris's update:

Chris.

Thought about you and sent you some best wishes while we were travelling up and down the A1 last week! Fingers crossed that you have a offer and a sale real soon
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Have an agent tell you what is "off-putting" about your house that is turning off prospective buyers? Are the appliances up to date, the walls a nice neutral color, is the garden/lawn well maintained, is it cluttered, etc.

You want the house to look warm and inviting to a buyer and show that there are possibilities for them to make it "their" home.
The agents are as stumped as us! That's one of the questions they ask EVERY viewer, we have had, 'it's too big, to far from town, to small, can't get canoes through to garden easily, 3rd bedroom to small, don't like the layout etc...'.

we have addressed everything that might put someone off, to be fair too, post new year, we are getting punters through the doors, which we really did not before Christmas.

The house is finished, all neutral colours, the appliences are nearly new, Bosch and Zanussi, good names, still under warrenty, clutter all gone.

Garden in great shape too. I am happy the agents don't know why it's not selling, because thhis means it should sell.

I have also stopped 'going on' about things I like about the house and focussing on things they liked and things they might want to change (without showing my HORROR)
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Thought about you and sent you some best wishes while we were travelling up and down the A1 last week! Fingers crossed that you have a offer and a sale real soon
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:15 pm
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

Unfortunately no offers have been forth-coming as yet so it looks like Chris will be heading out there on his own for awhile, well until the house sells. .
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

MandD is just really niceMandD is just really niceMandD is just really niceMandD is just really niceMandD is just really niceMandD is just really niceMandD is just really niceMandD is just really nice

Unfortunately no offers have been forth-coming as yet so it looks like Chris will be heading out there on his own for awhile, well until the house sells. .

We are looking into doing the same thing, all go over and land together, then OH will stay on and start training, maybe even eldest daughter staying and getting her into the school system too!!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D15NEY
That's a tough call. Anything we can do in Newfoundland to help just drop me a PM.

AX
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

Hi BE,

I am, like a number of other BE members I am sure, in a place I can not control and I don't know what to do.

We have poss LMO with a 3 year work permit, but with PNP, we should be PR within 6 to 18 months (according to the migration consultant).

Anyway, that's not my issue (to be honest, that has been the easy bit ).

I just can't sell the house, was up for £265,000, have reduced it to £240,000 for a quick sale, but without the sale, we don't have the finance to fund our move.

We can't go over and rent it, as the $$ I will earn in Canada, won't pay the morgtage and pay the way in Canada too and to be honest, I am sure tennents would be difficult to work with and they'll wreck the place (maybe).

Has anyone done anything that I might not have thought of?

I am sure I'll get a few 'you're stuffed' replies, but there will be some ideas I am sure.

Hope you can help?

Chris.
Burn it down and claim on your insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.