Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can't sell the house and no plan B

Can't sell the house and no plan B

Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't sell the house and no plan B

Originally Posted by Tangram
Did that and wouldn't recommend it. 5 months is a long time with no end in sight.
My lovely new boss just offered to pay my living expenses (housing) until our house sells, if I go out there on my own leaving the family home.

BUT, I can't see how this helps?

I will still have to pay the UK living expenses/mortgage etc... and then $$ for me to live in Canada too and the sums just don't add up.

GOD....this is doing my head in, WHEN WILL IT END?!

Chris
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:02 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Did that and wouldn't recommend it. 5 months is a long time with no end in sight.
I think you and I had a similar situation from memory. Being apart from my OH for several months wasn't easy - the only possible advantage I could quote was that when we were eventually reunited it was a bit like going to bed with a stranger
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:05 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
My lovely new boss just offered to pay my living expenses (housing) until our house sells, if I go out there on my own leaving the family home.

BUT, I can't see how this helps?

I will still have to pay the UK living expenses/mortgage etc... and then $$ for me to live in Canada too and the sums just don't add up.

GOD....this is doing my head in, WHEN WILL IT END?!

Chris
So they're agreeing to pay your rent in Canada? Would that still be the case if you all came over and rented somewhere big enough for all of you? If that was the case you wouldnt have any UK living expenses and given that your rent here was covered your salary in Canada would cover your living expenses here plus, hopefully, at least most of your mortgage in the UK?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
So they're agreeing to pay your rent in Canada? Would that still be the case if you all came over and rented somewhere big enough for all of you? If that was the case you wouldnt have any UK living expenses and given that your rent here was covered your salary in Canada would cover your living expenses here plus, hopefully, at least most of your mortgage in the UK?
He said an 'efficiency unit', which I think is probably a small room in a unit somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an option if I get close to my LMO expiry (31st May).

I have told the new boss to call me or text me when he wants to and have given him ALL my numbers and I will happily and unpaid help him out with anything he needs, to keep them sweet, but if I was him, I would be getting a bit frustraited now.

C
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:42 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I think you and I had a similar situation from memory. Being apart from my OH for several months wasn't easy - the only possible advantage I could quote was that when we were eventually reunited it was a bit like going to bed with a stranger
You're absolutely right Paul, on both counts.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

He said an 'efficiency unit', which I think is probably a small room in a unit somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an option if I get close to my LMO expiry (31st May).

I have told the new boss to call me or text me when he wants to and have given him ALL my numbers and I will happily and unpaid help him out with anything he needs, to keep them sweet, but if I was him, I would be getting a bit frustraited now.

C
could you rent it out for enough to cover the mortgage, the property market should pick up again later in about 1-2 years, i know its not ideal but at least you wouldn't have a rock around your neck so to speak, its not ideal but in this climate you may well have to drop further ?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:09 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
could you rent it out for enough to cover the mortgage, the property market should pick up again later in about 1-2 years, i know its not ideal but at least you wouldn't have a rock around your neck so to speak, its not ideal but in this climate you may well have to drop further ?
One of BE ex-pats said it to me before i came for the reasons i gave above. And i said Noooooo need money to buy another house, and we wont ever be returning I wouldn't entertain the idea either. In that process i lost close to $200.00 .
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redarmy990
stick the house on ebay you could give it a go .i had a mate who did this when he went to live in usa,advertised it on ebay with everything that you see included in sale it was sold 3 hours later for the buy it now price
Guess what?

Well, I got a few questions asked yesterday and we have a family coming to see out house today @ 17:00 generated from the eBay listing.

Who would have thought?

They are proceedable too, with no house to sell, big deposite and mortgage agreed in principle.

Will let you know.

Chris.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

good luck with the viewing, we had an offer put in for ours today from the couple that viewed last night, still 5k lower than the listed price but we are getting desperate now,
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by walkerv05
good luck with the viewing, we had an offer put in for ours today from the couple that viewed last night, still 5k lower than the listed price but we are getting desperate now,
That's great news, I have 3 bits of advice:

1. Take the offer
2. It's a great offer take it
3. Take it and enjoy your new life.

Chris
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

MandD is just really niceMandD is just really niceMandD is just really niceMandD is just really niceMandD is just really niceMandD is just really niceMandD is just really niceMandD is just really nice

Best of luck with the viewer

We have a viewer at 17.00pm too, and this is the first i have sat down today, i have blitzed the house AGAIN.

So please don't look in the cupboards, please don't look in the cupboards

We are going to have our visa before we sell the house, which was not in our plans, heyho.

Let us know how you do, cos I think ebay will be our next step too, although we have just changed agents after the last one only sent one viewer in 3 months!!!
MandD
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MandD
Best of luck with the viewer

We have a viewer at 17.00pm too, and this is the first i have sat down today, i have blitzed the house AGAIN.

So please don't look in the cupboards, please don't look in the cupboards

We are going to have our visa before we sell the house, which was not in our plans, heyho.

Let us know how you do, cos I think ebay will be our next step too, although we have just changed agents after the last one only sent one viewer in 3 months!!!
MandD
We went sole agent for 3 months, they were crap, I think in hindsite, knowing how important this is and how tricky it's been, I would have paid the extra 1% to go multi agent.

Will let you know though, good luck
c
Old Jan 12th 2008, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Right then, I'll eat my hat if the eBay people put in an offer, but hey, it was worth a go, and it's still up there for 8 days.

I am optomistic with the 1st lot that came though, they were engaging and asked all the right questions.

Okay, my observations on 'the new look viewings':

We too much of the great advice on here, I made sure ALL the light in the house were on, this really did make a difference, made the house look a lot brighter (well it would woulden't it).

I cleaned the place from top to bottom, even thought my good lady does this most days anyway, I then did the walk though myself, as if I was the buyer, this really opened my eyes to things, me, as the owner of the house did not notice before.

Completely took onboard the clutter comment earlier in the thread, papers on the window ledge in the kitchin for instance, I put in the cupboard, kids toys on the bath, albeit tidy on the bath, I put in the cupboard, really made a difference I think.

Also planned the pitch pre-them coming, made notes as to points I needed to get accross, quiet area, community, things we had actually done, flooring, conservatory roof, kitchen replaced, fireplace etc...

And made them feel that they would be moving into a place that nothing needed doing, as we had done it all.

I actually really enjoyed doing it!!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Right then, I'll eat my hat if the eBay people put in an offer, but hey, it was worth a go, and it's still up there for 8 days.

I am optomistic with the 1st lot that came though, they were engaging and asked all the right questions.

Okay, my observations on 'the new look viewings':

We too much of the great advice on here, I made sure ALL the light in the house were on, this really did make a difference, made the house look a lot brighter (well it would woulden't it).

I cleaned the place from top to bottom, even thought my good lady does this most days anyway, I then did the walk though myself, as if I was the buyer, this really opened my eyes to things, me, as the owner of the house did not notice before.

Completely took onboard the clutter comment earlier in the thread, papers on the window ledge in the kitchin for instance, I put in the cupboard, kids toys on the bath, albeit tidy on the bath, I put in the cupboard, really made a difference I think.

Also planned the pitch pre-them coming, made notes as to points I needed to get accross, quiet area, community, things we had actually done, flooring, conservatory roof, kitchen replaced, fireplace etc...

And made them feel that they would be moving into a place that nothing needed doing, as we had done it all.

I actually really enjoyed doing it!!
Well done for going to all that trouble really hope it works, fingers crossed,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.