Reload this Page >

Can't sell the house and no plan B

Can't sell the house and no plan B

Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Can't sell the house and no plan B

Hi there,

re trying to sell your house, is there an angle/idea you can use that would make a feature of interest to the local paper? Whoever has the converted coach house, do you know any history attached to the building/area? Maybe comparing the type/cost of house you have now to the one you will 'buy' in your new country etc.

Also, there are comanies who will pay 20% less than market value and do a quick sale. So, if the house was originally priced at £265, you may get £210 from them for example. Its low, but if you consider the place may be on the market for another year, factor in mortgage payments, a volatile house market and the possibilty you may only get low offers anyway, it can be worth considering. Also look at the exchange rate as if it is in your favour now you can claw back money that way & lose out if it changes while you wait to sell.

Good luck anyway and don't give up on your dream to move - it will be worth all the hassle eventually!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:10 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't sell the house and no plan B

Originally Posted by jamie123
fantastic pics, house looks staged already, there is another option all be it not brill,
Google, House for cash, theres lots of companies willing to get a bargain, see what they can do as you say you are already dropping the price anything is worth a try and if you count what it will cost and the stress caused by living apart maybe worth the loss ?

hope Ebay goes well very good presentation with floor layout etc

I have an Estate agent coming at 11 so will be in your shoes pretty soon, will ask him what ways we can market anymore tips will pass on

all the best sue
We tried that one offered us £90k less and had already reduced by 25k
Its only a thought but their are lots of brits returning to the UK and looking for rentals, because they carn't afford to buy back in now. You could then sell later when market picks up and maybe not lose out. And also it will give you chance to know if you are going to really like it in Canada.
We tried everything to sell are house and ended up leaving it empty, and renting here, which did give us chance to get familiar with the area. It finally completed a sale sep 07 at £42k less then original price
The wk it completed was the same wk, Northern Rock went A wall and lost again on the exchange rate:curse:

We are now returning to the Uk are selves, for lots of reasons but one being the fact we lost so much money on house, we carn't afford to live here without a big struggle and that defeats the reasons we came originally.

Soooo.......... wish i had not sold now GOOD LUCK
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

ImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jamie123
What a pretty coach house, i love the gazeebo out back, can't believe you haven't sold it yet ?
No Feng Shui? Nice house by the way.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:26 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImLivingTheDream
No Feng Shui? Nice house by the way.
Oh it has lots more Feng Shui now its empty!!!!!! Lots of room for energy to flow there (in the front door and right back out again:curse
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

shahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really nice

Hi to all those trying to sell a house

We too have been in a similar situation. We live in a property with quite a small market and put it on the market in July 07.

To get it sold we:
- dropped the price by 35k
- got Estate Agents to do special advertisements in the rag
- got a friend round to do a house doctor report. She does it for a (healthy) living and gave lots of ideas.
- took advice from BE folk and split the one large bedroom into two double rooms - at a total cost (including staging furniture) of £844
- put away ALL personal effects, got a few brightly coloured soft furnishings etc

We have accepted an offer for the asking price (Thurs before xmas, followed by PPR on the Fri), from a first time cash buyer - we are told completion will be in mid Feb after 4 viewings.

Our problem was getting people through the door, I think we needed the right buyer to come along but then it's not over yet. I reckon I have a thought everyday that the sale could fall through, approx 10% of sales do fall through our EA tells me.

It's crap thinking/worrying/what if'ing about getting shot of what has been a loved home for the last few years. I am trying to stop it sapping my energy!

If you want to see the House Doctor report, PM me. It may give you a few ideas as all the principles seem to be on it. You never know, it might help.

Short of that, you've got the trusty old:
"ooh dancers, ooh dancers, come out, come out, from wherever you are"

Best of luck everyone.

What will be, will be

Kelly

Last edited by shahzadandkelly; Jan 10th 2008 at 8:31 pm. Reason: date
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

We cut the price of our house on Monday by a further 25k and now have two viewings booked for the weekend. The agent put our house as feature in the local paper with the just reduced tag, probably because we told him that if they don't have a buyer by valentines then they are being replaced. We are now almost back to levels where we had effectively sold the house 2 and half years ago when we originally toyed with coming over on a working visa.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=1&tr_t=buy

Tried the open house, cut price twice now and willing to take any further advice to flog the bugger. Fingers crossed the weekend will bring something.

Chris
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
We cut the price of our house on Monday by a further 25k and now have two viewings booked for the weekend. The agent put our house as feature in the local paper with the just reduced tag, probably because we told him that if they don't have a buyer by valentines then they are being replaced. We are now almost back to levels where we had effectively sold the house 2 and half years ago when we originally toyed with coming over on a working visa.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=1&tr_t=buy

Tried the open house, cut price twice now and willing to take any further advice to flog the bugger. Fingers crossed the weekend will bring something.

Chris

Very good luck Chris. We are £30,000 off our original price back in August. But still, V quiet.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:34 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Chris again like the others your house looks lovely, its always the dumps that sell quickly it seems

Are you like us all finance tied up in the house so can't buy out here til it sells? If so it sucks doesn't it as we've found a perfect place on 15 acres (fingers crossed that doesn't sell yet - well unless its to us!)
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Chris again like the others your house looks lovely, its always the dumps that sell quickly it seems

Are you like us all finance tied up in the house so can't buy out here til it sells? If so it sucks doesn't it as we've found a perfect place on 15 acres (fingers crossed that doesn't sell yet - well unless its to us!)
Yep in the same boat, my new boss offered me £200k couple a days ago, but I have been practicing my negotiating skills on him and he's putting my 'we can only accept £234k' deal to a board meeting in the coming weeks.

Like you, we have see sooo many amazing places on the net and mailed to us by our real estate bloke, but house prices are rising there and declining here, $£ exchange not going our way either, so something has to give soon or we'll crack.

NO WE WON'T I tell you, tenacious is my middle name (actually I don't have a middle name, but you know what I mean)!!

We'll see.

C
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

All finances tied up but we had a buyer last summer when we signed contracts to have a house built over here, obviously buyer pulled out with no penalties at all now offered at 50k lower and will probably have to take 25k less than that still. Committed to purchase here with completion now in July. Not climbing the walls yet, but starting to bite those fingernails.

Chris
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:56 am
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

All finances tied up but we had a buyer last summer when we signed contracts to have a house built over here, obviously buyer pulled out with no penalties at all now offered at 50k lower and will probably have to take 25k less than that still. Committed to purchase here with completion now in July. Not climbing the walls yet, but starting to bite those fingernails.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Liking your website
Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you...iWeb on the Mac makes it so easy. Great way to keep family and friends in touch. My grandparents live in sheltered accomodation just outside Edinburgh, the warden for the home regularly lets them look at the website in her office. Plus my daughters old classmates log in to find out what she is up to.

Chris
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:37 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Yep in the same boat, my new boss offered me £200k couple a days ago, but I have been practicing my negotiating skills on him and he's putting my 'we can only accept £234k' deal to a board meeting in the coming weeks.

Like you, we have see sooo many amazing places on the net and mailed to us by our real estate bloke, but house prices are rising there and declining here, $£ exchange not going our way either, so something has to give soon or we'll crack.

NO WE WON'T I tell you, tenacious is my middle name (actually I don't have a middle name, but you know what I mean)!!

We'll see.

C
Its definitely worth negotiating but I honestly think if they would meet you in the middle somewhere (say 220k?) it would be worth taking it. All the worry would be over, you'd have a quick sale, no further mortgage payments, and you could get into the property market here (which is still rising) a lot quicker.

Living in rented for a long period isnt a lot of fun. Nor are the other options like you coming out first to live cheaply and being apart from your family for a long period.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:40 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you...iWeb on the Mac makes it so easy. Great way to keep family and friends in touch. My grandparents live in sheltered accomodation just outside Edinburgh, the warden for the home regularly lets them look at the website in her office. Plus my daughters old classmates log in to find out what she is up to.

Chris
Snap.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:41 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Its definitely worth negotiating but I honestly think if they would meet you in the middle somewhere (say 220k?) it would be worth taking it. All the worry would be over, you'd have a quick sale, no further mortgage payments, and you could get into the property market here (which is still rising) a lot quicker.

Living in rented for a long period isnt a lot of fun. Nor are the other options like you coming out first to live cheaply and being apart from your family for a long period.
Did that and wouldn't recommend it. 5 months is a long time with no end in sight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.