Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can't sell the house and no plan B

Can't sell the house and no plan B

Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all
Default Re: Can't sell the house and no plan B

Originally Posted by terese677
we're off to sunny/rainy/snowy Vancouver, have a job in North Van so trying to decide where to settle

You go the weather there right - apparently they had some snow yesterday. I'm not too far away in Chilliwack.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Location: Lincoln, England but hope to swap for Halifax, NS in the next 6 months or so!
Sara K is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the offer!

We are in the process of trying to sell two houses (the one we live in and the one we have rented out)! It's not fun! Also in the process of trying to tart up both properties at the same time! Didn't help that the tenants left it in a state! I just don't get how some people can be so dirty! I mean so OK its not their property, but is there no pride? Surely you wouldn't want your friends to see the filth would you?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sara K
Congratulations on the offer!

We are in the process of trying to sell two houses (the one we live in and the one we have rented out)! It's not fun! Also in the process of trying to tart up both properties at the same time! Didn't help that the tenants left it in a state! I just don't get how some people can be so dirty! I mean so OK its not their property, but is there no pride? Surely you wouldn't want your friends to see the filth would you?
Thats the one thing that puts me off renting this out if we can't sell after all the years of hard work and then someone treats it like that, so sorry for you its hard work to put right, good luck with the sales
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Rjohan77 will become famous soon enoughRjohan77 will become famous soon enough

Hi, congrats for the house selling!

We too have our house in the market for over a month now, but not a single viewing since start to feel desperate and stress cos hubby got to leave to Vancouver in June. We haven't got much time. we had reduced the price by 5k cos that is about the price we paid 3.5 years ago. Not to mention all the work we had done to the house and the fees we have to pay the agency. we really don't know what to do now, and we think our agency is not one of the best either, when i asked them to advertise it as reduced they just reduced the price without putting the "reduced as". and as my house is not really on the main road, i had asked them to put the For Sale sign at the corner of the main road to lead it to our house, they haven't done it till now! :curse:
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I really feel for you. We have been on the market just over 2 months without success. Only 1 viewing, they loved the house but their chain collapsed and they took theirs off the market.

We want to move out in June too so we have just reduced out price by £25k and are planning an open house at the end of the month.

House selling karma sent.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

yes we have such a simliar problem! it is stressing isn't it? we bought the house when the market was still high and now we want to sell it when it hits the bottom who knows the market would be like this? and we are selling it with most of the furnitures! such a bargain. i used to think that you always get profit from buying a house, now i know that not only you will not get profit, but you can lose when it is in the wrong time we dont want to rent it for all the same reasons as anybody else. but i am worried there is no choice...
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I really feel for you. We have been on the market just over 2 months without success. Only 1 viewing, they loved the house but their chain collapsed and they took theirs off the market.

We want to move out in June too so we have just reduced out price by £25k and are planning an open house at the end of the month.

House selling karma sent.
Btw, what do you have to do to have an open house? cos our agent has never mentioned an open house. does the house have to have a certain criteria?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rjohan77
Btw, what do you have to do to have an open house? cos our agent has never mentioned an open house. does the house have to have a certain criteria?
Most UK estate agents won't recommend an open house. They say it smacks of desperation. Well, I am desperate, so what the heck!

Personally, I think that it just involves more work for a group of people who are inherently lazy.

There is no special criteria, just instruct your estate agent that you want to do one and get as much publicity as you can in the preceding month. Go armed with ideas, don't just rely on their initiative.

I do know someone who did one and offered cheese and wine. They had about a7 or 8 viewers and sold within a couple of days. Having said that, other people have sat there for 2 house had had no viewers, but what else would you be doing?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:33 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most UK estate agents won't recommend an open house. They say it smacks of desperation. Well, I am desperate, so what the heck!

Personally, I think that it just involves more work for a group of people who are inherently lazy.

There is no special criteria, just instruct your estate agent that you want to do one and get as much publicity as you can in the preceding month. Go armed with ideas, don't just rely on their initiative.

I do know someone who did one and offered cheese and wine. They had about a7 or 8 viewers and sold within a couple of days. Having said that, other people have sat there for 2 house had had no viewers, but what else would you be doing?
I had thought about an open house, but where we live they are all a bit weird and I don't think anyone would turn up?? Then again they're not queing at the door to get in now, we have had only one viewing. Think I will see what our estate agent says about an open house!

Charlie
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:53 pm
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

We're using 5 different Estate agents, most of them are terrible but the girl at LUCAS has got us 5 yes 5 viewings this week, she is brilliant and will be getting a bottle of bubbly when we move
Fingers crossed for everyone trying to sell at the moment!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Edinburgh, most houses/flats are open to viewings on Thusday nights and Sunday afternoons....people either show their own places or get someone like me to do so. Solicitors sell houses and they never leave their cushy offices!!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:44 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Hi BE,

I am, like a number of other BE members I am sure, in a place I can not control and I don't know what to do.

We have poss LMO with a 3 year work permit, but with PNP, we should be PR within 6 to 18 months (according to the migration consultant).

Anyway, that's not my issue (to be honest, that has been the easy bit ).

I just can't sell the house, was up for £265,000, have reduced it to £240,000 for a quick sale, but without the sale, we don't have the finance to fund our move.

We can't go over and rent it, as the $$ I will earn in Canada, won't pay the morgtage and pay the way in Canada too and to be honest, I am sure tennents would be difficult to work with and they'll wreck the place (maybe).

Has anyone done anything that I might not have thought of?

I am sure I'll get a few 'you're stuffed' replies, but there will be some ideas I am sure.

Hope you can help?

Chris.
Maybe raise price back up to $260k and offer a $10k Cash back on Completetion, then you still get 250k when its sold and the buyers have 10k to hel[p them and to do any improvements....just a thought?

Last edited by TiggerLottie; Apr 11th 2008 at 3:45 pm. Reason: missed part out
Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:11 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you about hit the nail on the head there. They can't be bothered can they?

I don't agree with the bit about looking desperate UNLESS you have an open house where hardly anyone turns up! Then it looks desperate. The key to a successful open house is to have lots of people (even if those people are friends, relatives or even paid actors who are all there talking about what a bargain it is and how much they want it). That's the whole raison d'etre of an open house really - to make the people that are vaguely interested feel like they are in hot competition with lots of other folk. People always want to buy what everyone else wants - don't ask me why it's just human nature I guess. I know for sure than when I look through property websites its always the ones that are sold that look the most appealing!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have instructed my estate agent to do an open house and I have to say that they are fine about it (some we interviewed before instructing one said no-way). I also have to admit that as UK estate agents go, they are really good.

They keep me informed, we have regular reviews, they send out my details even to people who are asking about other houses in the price bracket just in case and they have hassled the local paper to do a feature on my house just before the open house next month.

I have friends and family who have had a nightmare with other agents who have just done nothing to push their houses, even agents who haven't turned up for accompanied viewings.

We really did our homework before instructing an agent and I feel it paid off. Although we haven't sold yet, short of buying it themselves, I don't know what more the agents could have done.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Location: Lincoln, England but hope to swap for Halifax, NS in the next 6 months or so!
Sara K is on a distinguished road

I've got to say I have had it with out estate agents! The are the biggest in our area, and they sell the most houses! How they manage that I do not know! We have been on the market for a couple of weeks now, and for some reason, we are not on www.rightmove.co.uk - THE property search website! I have told them through out the week that we are still not on there! I even spoke to the manager about their complacency today, she promised she would get us on there before the weekend! Guess what? Our house still isn't on there!:curse:

Have constructed a letter to the one of the partners of the company, and will be posting it tomorrow!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.