Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

canmore - alberta whats it like?

canmore - alberta whats it like?

Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

no1snowking36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: canmore - alberta whats it like?

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Not sure there's many jobs there.

I personally dislike what Canmore has become. I lived there in the late 80's when it was a quarter the size, and normal people could afford normal houses. Now the grocery store (Mara's) is a very high end furniture shop. All to the detriment of the local wildlife and scenary. The song, "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot" springs to mind.

Really Canmore is a weekend getaway for the really rich, with some cheaper housing thrown in for the service industry. And some holdovers from the old days.

If you would like to pursue your lifestyle, and have affordable housing you could try towns like Nelson (BC), Cranbrook (BC), Trail (BC) or Crowsnest Pass (Alberta).
grateful for all realistic input....the mags/websites paint a glossy picture...good to hear another side. might need to do more research into more surrounding areas with affordable housing/jobs ect as long as its not too far from the snow lol
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:32 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by no1snowking36
grateful for all realistic input....the mags/websites paint a glossy picture...good to hear another side. might need to do more research into more surrounding areas with affordable housing/jobs ect as long as its not too far from the snow lol
Realistically if you want AB the closest you'll get to the mountains with SUSTAINABLE employment will be Cochrane (unless you stick to Canmore) OR the Crowsnest Pass (just about sustainable employment).

Otherwise start looking round Kamloops, Kelowna, Vernon, Nelson even Revelstoke\Golden\Kicking horse area. As Triumph said there is Cranbrook (industrial hellhole located close to Kimberley).
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I'll give you one (maybe two) out of four there.

But REALLY Cranbrook and Trail? What has the OP done to offend you?
OK Trail was kinda off the cuff (LOL) but Cranbrook ain't bad!and has near-by ski hills and lots of mountains and wilderness around. Crowsnest will be the Cranbrook of the future, having great mountains all around and lots of snow. It's begining to develop. Nelson is an established hippyish/outdoorsy place - and if you like BC bud......

But some of the places that 20 years ago were great places to begin are now overdone - Invermere, Radium , Canmore (Ie., within weekend driving distance of Calgary). Once you get beyond 3 hours there's loads of places with the same kinda mountains and scenary, but not ruined by tourists and development: e.g., Revelstoke (BC), even Golden (once you get off the highway).

Good luck OP!

Last edited by triumphguy; Jun 9th 2009 at 7:44 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Realistically if you want AB the closest you'll get to the mountains with SUSTAINABLE employment will be Cochrane (unless you stick to Canmore) OR the Crowsnest Pass (just about sustainable employment).

Otherwise start looking round Kamloops, Kelowna, Vernon, Nelson even Revelstoke\Golden\Kicking horse area. As Triumph said there is Cranbrook (industrial hellhole located close to Kimberley).
We have been narrowing our search for a while now and decided on AB, looks best for us. We have been looking at cochrane too but probably got really excited at the thought of being so close to the mountains in canmore lol....should probably reign that in a bit

Need to consider work commute for us both as the smaller towns may not have jobs to suit, also want to be close enough to airport for the rellies to visit.

Will send a PM when we figure it out lol thanx
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your relatives are visiting every weekend I wouldn't worry about a 3 hour drive to and from. We used to live in Invermere, while I was at Uni in London (UK) and my parents would drive to Calgary to pick me up, and the 3 hour drive back was a great unwinder and chance to chat. We would also stop at Storm Mountain Lodge for their pan fried trout! yum! So my parents would drive 6 hours round trip - however, they would get some shopping done etc.

This is a great big country - don't be too worried by distance. It's amazing what you can adapt to.

Last edited by triumphguy; Jun 9th 2009 at 8:18 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Unless your relatives are visiting every weekend I wouldn't worry about a 3 hour drive to and from. We used to live in Invermere, while I was at Uni in London (UK) and my parents would drive to Calgary to pick me up, and the 3 hour drive back was a great unwinder and chance to chat. We would also stop at Storm Mountain Lodge for their pan fried trout! yum! So my parents would drive 6 hours round trip - however, they would get some shopping done etc.

This is a great big country - don't be too worried by distance. It's amazing what you can adapt to.
Cheers for that...trout..making my mouth water lol.....Fair comment about it being a great bit country.we're from Scotland so everything on your doorstep but i'm sure we'll adapt no problem especially if im allowed to get my harley looking forward to cruising the open roads (when the snowboarding season is quiet lol). ps heard that bikes can be a bit expensive out there?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give you one (maybe two) out of four there.

But REALLY Cranbrook and Trail? What has the OP done to offend you?
Trail is ugly for sure. But I would choose it as a place to live before either of the other two mentioned.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by no1snowking36
i'm sure we'll adapt no problem especially if im allowed to get my harley looking forward to cruising the open roads (when the snowboarding season is quiet lol). ps heard that bikes can be a bit expensive out there?
Harley... choke, choke.... Why not try Red Deer - that's very nice. Moose Jaw is good too!

I think bikes are quite a bit cheaper here than the UK.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

BTW: just to put things into perspective. Here's "ugly" Trail BC.

The big smelter you can see is the Cominco plant. It's a mining and smelting town (as was Canmore originally) and at one time the majority of the population came originally from Italy. However, it's surrounded by wilderness.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

but not ruined by tourists and development: e.g., Revelstoke (BC), even Golden (once you get off the highway).
Both unfortunately are quickly getting ruined by tourism development, both have major ski resorts recently developed on their doorsteps.

http://www.revelstokemountainresort.com/

http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/

Last edited by Steve_P; Jun 9th 2009 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

The point I'm trying to make with these photos is that there's lots of places in Western Canada that will meet the criteria of someone who wants an outdoor lifetyle.

They aren't yuppy or posh, but down to earth and "do-able" in terms of housing prices etc.

Here's Cranbrook
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

There''s Kamloops BC in the distance:

Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

And here's Cochrane

If you want any specific info on Cochrane please shout to me too.

We looked at Canmore, and I occasionally still entertain the idea that I would like to live there. But actually, I really like living here.

Canmore strikes me as kinda cute, and beautiful and expensive. But we'd be looking at a regular family home with a garden and they don't come cheap. A two bed condo might be more reasonable, but then where will you keep all your toys?

And the commute to Calgary might be OK for a day or two a week, but I wouldn't embark on that journey as a daily excursion. It's easy to say, oh it's only an hour - but the reality is that if you are travelling to the downtown core, or to different areas of the city, you need to add a lot more to that timescale. And 'the hour' bit can be done at 120kmph for most of the year I suspect and you will cover a long distance quickly and effortlessly, with a great view, but those days when the weather comes in, that distance could take several hours in horrible driving conditions.

To my mind, to live and take full advantage of the setting of Canmore, one needs a good income anyway, and then one ought to either be able to earn that in Canmore or Banff, or to be flexible enough to work remotely, part-time, or with infrequent trips to the 'big smoke'.

Cochrane, on the other hand, is a 30-60 minute drive depending on where you need to go in the Calgary area.
Attached Thumbnails canmore - alberta whats it like?-cochrane-june-2-small-.jpg  
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

Well we think Canmore is wonderful, but there are certainly very few local jobs that would support the cost of living here. Certainly there are plenty of houses that are only holiday/investment properties, but there are also about 9000 permanent residents. The scenery is of course amazing as are the opportunities for outdoor fun. We are keen skiers/boarders and so being so close to the slopes is a huge bonus. It also has the advantage of being just outside the national park so that property can be freely bought (for a price!) as opposed to Banff where there is an occupation requirement.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:16 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarfish
Well we think Canmore is wonderful, but there are certainly very few local jobs that would support the cost of living here. Certainly there are plenty of houses that are only holiday/investment properties, but there are also about 9000 permanent residents. The scenery is of course amazing as are the opportunities for outdoor fun. We are keen skiers/boarders and so being so close to the slopes is a huge bonus. It also has the advantage of being just outside the national park so that property can be freely bought (for a price!) as opposed to Banff where there is an occupation requirement.
What do you do for employment there ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.