British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadians' Sense of Humour? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadians-sense-humour-630513/)

Deva Sep 15th 2009 3:22 am

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Brilliant! Those bring back some good memories, including my wedding in Lancashire. If my wife watched them I'm sure a bout of homesickness would occur.

dboy Sep 15th 2009 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Deva (Post 7931834)
Brilliant! Those bring back some good memories, including my wedding in Lancashire. If my wife watched them I'm sure a bout of homesickness would occur.

Funny you should say that ... that was how I was feeling. :(

Alan2005 Sep 15th 2009 3:27 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 7931786)
I used to love the young ones and used had them on VHS and watched them endlessly when I was younger. Watched one recently on you tube and wondered what the fuss was about - found it silly.

Yeah - pretty much what I thought last time I watched an episode. Very much of it's time. 'bottom', which has the same heritage as the young ones didn't date anywhere near as quickly and remains really funny today - despite being nearly two decades old (think it was early 90's). 'sprout o mexican' still makes me laugh anyway.

dboy Sep 15th 2009 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7931849)
Yeah - pretty much what I thought last time I watched an episode. Very much of it's time. 'bottom', which has the same heritage as the young ones didn't date anywhere near as quickly and remains really funny today - despite being nearly two decades old (think it was early 90's). 'sprout o mexican' still makes me laugh anyway.

Bottom?? I left the UK in 1989 so I may not have seen it. I only watched red dwarf in the last 5 years- I know sad....

Will You Tube bottom, I may just not recognize the title.

Alan2005 Sep 15th 2009 3:37 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 7931859)
Bottom?? I left the UK in 1989 so I may not have seen it. I only watched red dwarf in the last 5 years- I know sad....

Will You Tube bottom, I may just not recognize the title.

(Ignore the dutch subtitles)

Deva Sep 15th 2009 3:57 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 7931842)
Funny you should say that ... that was how I was feeling. :(

I have to admit to a twinge of "homesickness" as well; the first time I have really felt it since returning to Canada four years ago. It's to be expected I suppose having spent years 1-20 in Canada and 21-35 in the UK.

Good thing I escaped when I did. I must have been on the verge of going native.

The4BellsLondon Sep 15th 2009 4:36 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 7931786)
I used to love the young ones and used had them on VHS and watched them endlessly when I was younger. Watched one recently on you tube and wondered what the fuss was about - found it silly.

Its cos yr older now dboy - Young ones used to make me wet me pants - made the kids watch it - they said meh!

The IT crowd - fab!

actually I have to admit to having a soft spot for 2 and half men!

And 4 months working in the bakery - could I make em laugh by shouting Garlic Bread - could I Fxxck! :eek:

bsmith Sep 15th 2009 4:44 am

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 7931967)
Its cos yr older now dboy - Young ones used to make me wet me pants - made the kids watch it - they said meh!

The IT crowd - fab!

actually I have to admit to having a soft spot for 2 and half men!

And 4 months working in the bakery - could I make em laugh by shouting Garlic Bread - could I Fxxck! :eek:

....It's the future!

ExKiwilass Sep 15th 2009 4:45 am

I've started watching black books on youtube.

Dboy, the first one of Peter Kay was hilarious. Maybe because I'm a bikkie-dropping tea drinker.

The4BellsLondon Sep 15th 2009 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 7931990)
I've started watching black books on youtube.

Dboy, the first one of Peter Kay was hilarious. Maybe because I'm a bikkie-dropping tea drinker.

I looove Black books - have the whole set on dvd - will lend ya at coffee - wed?? ooh and Spaced. . .

bsmith Sep 15th 2009 10:56 am

Canadians are funny - especially when they don't mean to be!

"Blonde karate expert decks soldiers
"

The 24-year-old Canadian, in a striking red satin dress, yelled "This should not be allowed in the British Army" - then went on a rampage, knocking over burly soldiers from the elite regiment like skittles.

triumphguy Sep 15th 2009 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 7932697)
Canadians are funny - especially when they don't mean to be!

"Blonde karate expert decks soldiers
"

The 24-year-old Canadian, in a striking red satin dress, yelled "This should not be allowed in the British Army" - then went on a rampage, knocking over burly soldiers from the elite regiment like skittles.

So in order to prove Candians have no sense of humour you prove that "petite" Canadian women can kick the ass of "elite" British soldiers?

Isn't that a pyhrric victory of sorts?

It's quite funny though!;)

Oink Sep 15th 2009 3:44 pm

I think its unfair to say, carte blanche, Canadians do not a have a sense of humor, but there are definite differences in the way we express it. So, why has it developed as such?
Take kids for example, all children, irrespective of culture, seem to be born with an irrepressible need to joke around. They revel in anarchy and naturally love nonsense. But as we age (unless you're Spike Milligan) our joking around becomes more restrained and restricted.

My guess is, that as children grow up in a particular society, their joking will be met various degrees of success which is governed by a particular set of societal rules. Look for instance at Mike Myers, his parents were from Liverpool and apparently loved the Goons/Monty Python, as such, his joking around was met with approval and his sense of humour developed. From a societal perspective, the UK values jokes/joking, it oils the social cogs so to speak.
But, in North America both the gravity of survival and the immigrant desire for material achievement is such that practical concerns are much more useful than silliness. Canadian/American culture perhaps tempers the space where humour occurs naturally thus accounting for the differences.

The importance in the UK that jokes have on our ability to understand each other and thus relate on a personal and intimate level explains to some degree, why we as immigrants both complain about our host culture's lack of humour and the need to connect with other Brits. And, why this topic seems so important to us.

This has obviously been bothering me. :)

ExKiwilass Sep 15th 2009 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 7932005)
I looove Black books - have the whole set on dvd - will lend ya at coffee - wed?? ooh and Spaced. . .

yes, let's do wed.

My place okay? And YES PLEASE to Black Books & Spaced.

The4BellsLondon Sep 15th 2009 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 7933461)
yes, let's do wed.

My place okay? And YES PLEASE to Black Books & Spaced.

yes and yes -will call ya :)