British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadians' Sense of Humour? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadians-sense-humour-630513/)

Alan2005 Sep 18th 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 7944033)
The point i was putting across is that it's ok for the likes of Chris Rock to be racist yet a fat northerner isn't.

Because the fat northerner really means it.

PrairieSushi Sep 18th 2009 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7944020)
Are (the best) Sit Coms really just social commentaries

King of Queens and Festivus ... changed the face of the north american festive season :ohmy:

el_richo Sep 18th 2009 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7944036)
Because the fat northerner really means it.

And Chris Rock?

Butch Cassidy Sep 18th 2009 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7944035)
I would say no and no. Not all sitcoms are commentaries, red dwarf? black adder (well maybe the 4th is) for example. I do think comedy can be had out of social, racial or religious differences, but there is a difference between friendly or affectionate banter and outright bigotry.

Ah now we get into the whole allegory theme dont we ;)

Flogger Sep 18th 2009 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 7944033)
The point i was putting across is that it's ok for the likes of Chris Rock to be racist yet a fat northerner isn't.

Chris Rock isn't racist.If you are referring to his "N" rant,then listen to it.

PrairieSushi Sep 18th 2009 10:30 pm

Not all sitcoms are commentaries, red dwarf?

Lister scrumping for cars isn't social commentary? What about Rimmer's middle class angst?

black adder

Just let my kids watch the 1st ... like Monty Python and the Holy Grail peasants are grimy & ill informed ... but what's changed?

I do think comedy can be had out of social, racial or religious differences, but there is a difference between friendly or affectionate banter and outright bigotry.

It all depends on who is on the receiving end and if they find it funny.

Oink Sep 18th 2009 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 7944044)

I quite like Rich Hall, couldn't listen to him much but in small doses he's funny for an American. Chris Rock is just annoying.

el_richo Sep 18th 2009 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 7944044)

I find him racist. The use of the N word is racist no matter your skin colour in my opinion. You can't have it both ways.

Chris Rock also comments in a racist way to white people.

Flogger Sep 18th 2009 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 7944055)
I quite like Rich Hall, couldn't listen to him much but in small doses he's funny for an American. Chris Rock is just annoying.

Yes he is good.Not seen him do stand up,only on top gear, QI,etc.

Alan2005 Sep 18th 2009 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi (Post 7944051)
Lister scrumping for cars isn't social commentary? What about Rimmer's middle class angst?

Just let my kids watch the 1st ... like Monty Python and the Holy Grail peasants are grimy & ill informed ... but what's changed?

It all depends on who is on the receiving end and if they find it funny.

The entire premise of a show like death to us part was the social commentary. But yeah, you are right pretty much all comedy is going to have at least elements of it.

PrairieSushi Sep 18th 2009 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7944091)
The entire premise of a show like death to us part was the social commentary. But yeah, you are right pretty much all comedy is going to have at least elements of it.

Otherwise it ain't funny :(

Got to admit that Garnet was a gem :)

Archie Bunker? Well, yep ...

Alan2005 Sep 18th 2009 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 7944070)
I find him racist. The use of the N word is racist no matter your skin colour in my opinion. You can't have it both ways.

I don't think he's racist. The use of the N word has changed and the meaning subverted in the context he uses it. I quite like it when that happens to words - e.g. gay now meaning 'a bit crap'. Still even tho I don't see him as racist, he isn't funny and is annoying. Just his voice is enough to irritate the crap out of me.

PrairieSushi Sep 18th 2009 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7944106)
e.g. gay now meaning 'a bit crap'.

Not in Alberda ... ;)

Butch Cassidy Sep 18th 2009 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi (Post 7944114)
Not in Alberda ... ;)

no here it means voting NDP and not watching Hockey ;)

PrairieSushi Sep 18th 2009 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7944122)
no here it means voting NDP and not watching Hockey ;)

Voted NDP in protest at the last election and haven't seen a hockey game in a while .... errrr :huh:

Butch Cassidy Sep 18th 2009 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi (Post 7944131)
Voted NDP in protest at the last election and haven't seen a hockey game in a while .... errrr :huh:

Out of interest why vote NDP in protest (I am not saying it is a good or bad thing btw)

Flogger Sep 18th 2009 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7944106)
I don't think he's racist. The use of the N word has changed and the meaning subverted in the context he uses it. I quite like it when that happens to words - e.g. gay now meaning 'a bit crap'. Still even tho I don't see him as racist, he isn't funny and is annoying. Just his voice is enough to irritate the crap out of me.

a voice that could peel wallpaper. I agree that he isn't racist though.

PrairieSushi Sep 18th 2009 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7944135)
Out of interest why vote NDP in protest (I am not saying it is a good or bad thing btw)

One step above eating my ballot paper.

Harper is my MP and he's a waste of space ... a traffic pylon would be more effective.

Butch Cassidy Sep 18th 2009 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi (Post 7944144)
One step above eating my ballot paper.

Harper is my MP and he's a waste of space ... a traffic pylon would be more effective.

Yeah but why not Vote liberal? or was the NDP candidate 'more likely' to win?

PrairieSushi Sep 18th 2009 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7944147)
Yeah but why not Vote liberal? or was the NDP candidate 'more likely' to win?

Good question ... I'll ask my psychoanalyst next time I see them ;)

Didn't think the NDP candidate had a hope in hell of winning, but I approved of her policies.

As much maligned as Winnipeg may be by some, it's an NDP stronghold and it's a very nice city to spend time in (the downtown core after dark excluded).

The Liberals just make me think bribery & corruption :(

dboy Sep 19th 2009 5:43 pm

three more notable funny Canadians:

Michael J Fox

Howie Mandel

Martin Short

Butch Cassidy Sep 19th 2009 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 7945977)
three more notable (un)funny Canadians:

Michael J Fox

Howie Mandel

Martin Short

Totally agree

dboy Sep 19th 2009 6:03 pm

Yep about has funny as you;)

Butch Cassidy Sep 19th 2009 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 7946019)
Yep about has funny as you;)

That would be not at all then, though apparently many Shakespeare Tragedies were written as Comedies and visa versa :confused:

Capt. Canuck Sep 20th 2009 5:27 pm

As a born and bred Canadian, I must protest. I've read through this entire thread and not one mention of Kids in the Hall? The Headcrusher, Buddy Cole, and the Chicken Lady are national treasures. Starting a conversation with "One summer ... my father and I ... we built a veranda ... without any tools. ... Therefore I should paint your chair." will earn you my friendship for life (you've been warned).

Royal Canadian Air Farce was dated when it was new. God I hated them. Canadian sitcoms are generally pretty weak, I'd have to admit. But I think that's because the CBC has a prime directive to never offend anyone. Ever.

There was another flash-in-the-pan sketch troupe called the Frantics who weren't bad, either. Sort of KITH-like. Check youtube for the school of Tae Kwan Leep.

Ron James has his moments, too.

And there's a grotty low-rent place in my heart for the Trailer Park Boys.

dboy Sep 20th 2009 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Capt. Canuck (Post 7948304)
As a born and bred Canadian, I must protest. I've read through this entire thread and not one mention of Kids in the Hall? The Headcrusher, Buddy Cole, and the Chicken Lady are national treasures. Starting a conversation with "One summer ... my father and I ... we built a veranda ... without any tools. ... Therefore I should paint your chair." will earn you my friendship for life (you've been warned).

Royal Canadian Air Farce was dated when it was new. God I hated them. Canadian sitcoms are generally pretty weak, I'd have to admit. But I think that's because the CBC has a prime directive to never offend anyone. Ever.

There was another flash-in-the-pan sketch troupe called the Frantics who weren't bad, either. Sort of KITH-like. Check youtube for the school of Tae Kwan Leep.

Ron James has his moments, too.

And there's a grotty low-rent place in my heart for the Trailer Park Boys.

Kids in the hall was still on when I first moved here. I don't agree with the majority on here that Canadians don't have a sense of humour, different yes....... Surprised you never mentioned Corner Gas. I've also seen re-runs of SCTV with Canadian greats like John Candy, Martin Short, and Eugene Levy - wasn't someone saying that there are no Canadian comedians? Oh and Rick Moranis.

There's a certain British tendency to view 'different' as being rubbish. I do think you have to spend some here to warm to the notion of Canadian humour, problem is too many Brits are looking for Mrs Slocum or Mr Bean. British sense of humour has its own unique flavour, some might say its superior, i just say its different. Same can be said for Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WMSF...eature=related

dboy Sep 20th 2009 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi (Post 7943926)
Manning died back in 2007 at the age of 76.

He belonged to an earlier era when the word multiculturalism didn't even feature in dictionaries.

Nobody else here remember "Love thy Neighbour"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

Let's just say the 70's were a period of adjustment in the UK :o

He was racist. I only really found him funny after a skin full when you tend to leave your inhibitions behind and perhaps have an excuse to leave you ideals at the door. Not to mention it was in the 1980s that I saw him. People's skin wasn't as thick back then - not sure if that's good or bad.

natrum Sep 20th 2009 10:06 pm

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7931869)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xoG2UlG0Ht0
(Ignore the dutch subtitles)

Capt. Canuck Sep 20th 2009 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 7948389)
There's a certain British tendency to view 'different' as being rubbish. I do think you have to spend some here to warm to the notion of Canadian humour, problem is too many Brits are looking for Mrs Slocum or Mr Bean. British sense of humour has its own unique flavour, some might say its superior, i just say its different. Same can be said for Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WMSF...eature=related

I'm not offended. I can understand (and agree) that people might find the comedy on CTV and CBC pretty weak. I just wanted to show a little love for KITH.

As for British humour, Mr. Bean was never my thing - although I saw a bit Rowan Atkinson did as the Devil greeting his new arrivals in Hell and loved it (I've never had the chance to check out Blackadder). I really enjoy Eddie Izzard, Billy Connolly and Ricky Gervais (although I found Extras a bit of a downer) and Simon Pegg/Edgar Wright/Nick Frost can do no wrong (whether Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, or Hot Fuzz).

Great clip, by the way. I'm going to have to see the new TPB movie when it comes out. Whenever I watch them, I can feel my IQ drop by 20 points, but I'm usually laughing so much that I don't care.

And now that I think about it, for more "Canadian" humour, check out the movie FUBAR. Or read "Why I Hate Canadians" by Will Ferguson (who is Canadian) - it might give you ex-pats some insight into the Canadian psyche.

Londonuck Sep 21st 2009 7:35 am

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 7944070)

You're honestly offended at his comedy cos you're white? The crap that black people have been through in the States is not surprising they are a tad angry at white people. Like Richard Prior, i dont think hes talking about me when he groups white people together and makes fun of them. :blink:

As for the N word stand up... one of the funniest, cleverest and pretty brave stand ups ive seen.

Jingsamichty Sep 21st 2009 2:03 pm

"Analysing comedy is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested, and the frog dies."

E.B. White.