Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

PrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Originally Posted by sharkus
they "get" ironic humor
Only if painted very broadly ... I'm Scottish so I really enjoy dark humor ... I've had that "what the f***?" look a few times too many. Could be the poker face tho
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by flashman
"Trailer Park Boys", Corner Gas", Little House on the Prairie", Rick Mercer Report", This Hour Has 22 Minutes" are a good start in getting an understanding of Canadian humour.
Plus "Red Green"..a good example of wry humour and I love it. Ooh - and "the Vinyl Cafe" on radio....so good I've downloaded a lot and even bought the book.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:14 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
"Trailer Park Boys", Corner Gas", Little House on the Prairie", Rick Mercer Report", This Hour Has 22 Minutes" are a good start in getting an understanding of Canadian humour.
So effectively bugger all then?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:17 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
They forgot the royal air farce - that show was like going back in time to the 70's.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Oink - that was SO typical British Humour!
Oh boy do I miss it!!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:22 am
wannabejillaroo

jillany is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
I haven't met many Canadians who swear too much, or have a smutty sense of humour. So that's me out then.... or maybe I just haven't met the 'dirty' ones. Sorry, but toilet humour is sometimes just funny. And who doesn't like a double entrendre occasionally?

It all seems a much more genteel humour to me - they are mostly lovely, friendly and amusing, and I do laugh a lot.

It's just me with my mind in the sewer and silly sense of humour, and (what I think are my) my witty one liners get lost in amongst the tumbleweed. Never mind, eh?
If you want to hear profanity come and live where I live in rural Canada (Ontario). It's just the way a fair share of them talk, even the women can do their fair share of it. Every sentence has at least one F word in it, plus a few more expletivies. Even in casual conversation it is very much used. Telling a joke it is used. Talking about your neighbour it is used.

I have lived in Canada for a few years now and know a few Newfies. We have a lot of language problems (words have different meanings) and a completely different sense of humour. (I was originally from UK). There are also a lot of them that you will never hear swear, are very decent, friendly, happy people and make the best kind of friend you could ever want.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jillany
If you want to hear profanity come and live where I live in rural Canada (Ontario). It's just the way a fair share of them talk, even the women can do their fair share of it. Every sentence has at least one F word in it, plus a few more expletivies. Even in casual conversation it is very much used. Telling a joke it is used. Talking about your neighbour it is used.
I'm not actually looking for profuse profanity - let me make that clear - but the odd "shit", "crap" or "bloody hell" that slips out and I feel like I'm on my own. Maybe the urbanites near me are just too polite and they think I am terribly rude. We do know one family that "f's" a lot (!) and I don't particularly like Daughter Number Two going round there too much (but I don't think she even hears it to be honest, which is perhaps worrying, because she does not hear it at home).

I find many teens cannot string five words together without interspersing it with the F word. But I avoid teenagers as much as possible. I'm cultivating two of my own (not long now) so living with them will be quite enough thanks

Anyway - this may or may be far removed from a sense of humour, but amending my own language (not just the odd swear word) seems to curb my spontaneity and the moment is then gone ...
Old Sep 14th 2009, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi
Probably something personal
Nae laddie!

Besides, you barely know me!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 5:11 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Something I've noticed is that Canadians are useless at laughing at themselves - no sense of the self deprecating type of humour that Brits take for granted and are very good at.
Something like "The Office" would never have come out of Canada - Canadians are way too thin skinned to portray themselves in that kind of light.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
Something I've noticed is that Canadians are useless at laughing at themselves - no sense of the self deprecating type of humour that Brits take for granted and are very good at.
Something like "The Office" would never have come out of Canada - Canadians are way too thin skinned to portray themselves in that kind of light.
I've noticed that also, so, I've taken to laughing at them. It's for their own good.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Holy shit! Talk about your generalisations here. So you all have met all 30 million Canadians and not found a single funny one in the lot? Maybe it's not them...It's YOU
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spritzer
Plus "Red Green"..a good example of wry humour and I love it. Ooh - and "the Vinyl Cafe" on radio....so good I've downloaded a lot and even bought the book.
I must admit, when I first arrived in Canada back in 2002, I had a fair bit of free time to kill, so as far as TV was concerned, The Red Green Show was pretty much the only thing I found remotely humorous (in a kinda zany case less attitude) ... but these days, I can't figure out what I saw remotely interesting in it???

Anyway, back to the Canadians' sense of humour. While working outside a couple of days ago, a neighbour's friend looked over, said Hi and asked "Are you working hard, or are ya hardly working?" .... which actually made me laugh, especially the way it was delivered.

Personally, for the most part, I find Canadian people to be at their funniest, when you least expect it (especially when there is no build up or facial expression top accompany the humour)
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Holy shit! Talk about your generalisations here. So you all have met all 30 million Canadians and not found a single funny one in the lot? Maybe it's not them...It's YOU
I took a decent (statistically significant) sample from the population and theorized from that.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:12 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
...there're plenty of funny ones - admittedly, usually when they don't mean to be.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:15 am
Banned

I've noticed that also, so, I've taken to laughing at them. It's for their own good.
...I agree, it's the least we can do. It's good to give something back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.