dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?

three more notable funny Canadians:

Michael J Fox

Howie Mandel

Martin Short
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:53 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
three more notable (un)funny Canadians:

Michael J Fox

Howie Mandel

Martin Short
Totally agree
Old Sep 19th 2009, 6:03 pm

Yep about has funny as you
Old Sep 19th 2009, 6:06 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep about has funny as you
That would be not at all then, though apparently many Shakespeare Tragedies were written as Comedies and visa versa
Old Sep 20th 2009, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Capt. Canuck has a spectacular aura aboutCapt. Canuck has a spectacular aura aboutCapt. Canuck has a spectacular aura about

As a born and bred Canadian, I must protest. I've read through this entire thread and not one mention of Kids in the Hall? The Headcrusher, Buddy Cole, and the Chicken Lady are national treasures. Starting a conversation with "One summer ... my father and I ... we built a veranda ... without any tools. ... Therefore I should paint your chair." will earn you my friendship for life (you've been warned).

Royal Canadian Air Farce was dated when it was new. God I hated them. Canadian sitcoms are generally pretty weak, I'd have to admit. But I think that's because the CBC has a prime directive to never offend anyone. Ever.

There was another flash-in-the-pan sketch troupe called the Frantics who weren't bad, either. Sort of KITH-like. Check youtube for the school of Tae Kwan Leep.

Ron James has his moments, too.

And there's a grotty low-rent place in my heart for the Trailer Park Boys.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Capt. Canuck
As a born and bred Canadian, I must protest. I've read through this entire thread and not one mention of Kids in the Hall? The Headcrusher, Buddy Cole, and the Chicken Lady are national treasures. Starting a conversation with "One summer ... my father and I ... we built a veranda ... without any tools. ... Therefore I should paint your chair." will earn you my friendship for life (you've been warned).

Royal Canadian Air Farce was dated when it was new. God I hated them. Canadian sitcoms are generally pretty weak, I'd have to admit. But I think that's because the CBC has a prime directive to never offend anyone. Ever.

There was another flash-in-the-pan sketch troupe called the Frantics who weren't bad, either. Sort of KITH-like. Check youtube for the school of Tae Kwan Leep.

Ron James has his moments, too.

And there's a grotty low-rent place in my heart for the Trailer Park Boys.
Kids in the hall was still on when I first moved here. I don't agree with the majority on here that Canadians don't have a sense of humour, different yes....... Surprised you never mentioned Corner Gas. I've also seen re-runs of SCTV with Canadian greats like John Candy, Martin Short, and Eugene Levy - wasn't someone saying that there are no Canadian comedians? Oh and Rick Moranis.

There's a certain British tendency to view 'different' as being rubbish. I do think you have to spend some here to warm to the notion of Canadian humour, problem is too many Brits are looking for Mrs Slocum or Mr Bean. British sense of humour has its own unique flavour, some might say its superior, i just say its different. Same can be said for Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WMSF...eature=related

Last edited by dboy; Sep 20th 2009 at 6:30 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi
Manning died back in 2007 at the age of 76.

He belonged to an earlier era when the word multiculturalism didn't even feature in dictionaries.

Nobody else here remember "Love thy Neighbour"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

Let's just say the 70's were a period of adjustment in the UK
He was racist. I only really found him funny after a skin full when you tend to leave your inhibitions behind and perhaps have an excuse to leave you ideals at the door. Not to mention it was in the 1980s that I saw him. People's skin wasn't as thick back then - not sure if that's good or bad.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

natrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xoG2UlG0Ht0
(Ignore the dutch subtitles)
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Capt. Canuck has a spectacular aura aboutCapt. Canuck has a spectacular aura aboutCapt. Canuck has a spectacular aura about

There's a certain British tendency to view 'different' as being rubbish. I do think you have to spend some here to warm to the notion of Canadian humour, problem is too many Brits are looking for Mrs Slocum or Mr Bean. British sense of humour has its own unique flavour, some might say its superior, i just say its different. Same can be said for Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WMSF...eature=related
I'm not offended. I can understand (and agree) that people might find the comedy on CTV and CBC pretty weak. I just wanted to show a little love for KITH.

As for British humour, Mr. Bean was never my thing - although I saw a bit Rowan Atkinson did as the Devil greeting his new arrivals in Hell and loved it (I've never had the chance to check out Blackadder). I really enjoy Eddie Izzard, Billy Connolly and Ricky Gervais (although I found Extras a bit of a downer) and Simon Pegg/Edgar Wright/Nick Frost can do no wrong (whether Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, or Hot Fuzz).

Great clip, by the way. I'm going to have to see the new TPB movie when it comes out. Whenever I watch them, I can feel my IQ drop by 20 points, but I'm usually laughing so much that I don't care.

And now that I think about it, for more "Canadian" humour, check out the movie FUBAR. Or read "Why I Hate Canadians" by Will Ferguson (who is Canadian) - it might give you ex-pats some insight into the Canadian psyche.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:35 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I find him racist. The use of the N word is racist no matter your skin colour in my opinion. You can't have it both ways.

Chris Rock also comments in a racist way to white people.

You're honestly offended at his comedy cos you're white? The crap that black people have been through in the States is not surprising they are a tad angry at white people. Like Richard Prior, i dont think hes talking about me when he groups white people together and makes fun of them.

As for the N word stand up... one of the funniest, cleverest and pretty brave stand ups ive seen.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:03 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

"Analysing comedy is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested, and the frog dies."

E.B. White.