Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Originally Posted by Oink
I totally agree and I thought his racist jokes weren't jokes.
Manning died back in 2007 at the age of 76.

He belonged to an earlier era when the word multiculturalism didn't even feature in dictionaries.

Nobody else here remember "Love thy Neighbour"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

Let's just say the 70's were a period of adjustment in the UK
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:39 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi
Manning died back in 2007 at the age of 76.

He belonged to an earlier era when the word multiculturalism didn't even feature in dictionaries.

Nobody else here remember "Love thy Neighbour"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

Let's just say the 70's were a period of adjustment in the UK
Was it social observation or bigotry at its worst?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

[mod hat on]
Yes, its the maple leaf, but try and show a little restraint and stick within the spirit of
Originally Posted by Rule 2
2. There may be places where sexually explicit, racist, obscene or vulgar language, graphics or behavior is appropriate however BritishExpats.com is NOT one of them.
I really dont want to be having to start cleaning up K-Y left right and center!
[mod hat off]

Is that clear enough?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Was it social observation or bigotry at its worst?
Probably both

Leonard Rossiter died two decades before Manning ... but Rigsby's reactions to Philip in Rising Damp were just as uninformed and negative ... but they were very funny for the viewing public at the time

Maybe if he had lived longer, we'd be calling him an old racist too

I've been watching too much Access ...
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
Is that clear enough?
Oops

Bye then.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi
Probably both

Leonard Rossiter died two decades before Manning ... but Rigsby's reactions to Philip in Rising Damp were just as uninformed and negative ... but they were very funny for the viewing public at the time

Maybe if he had lived longer, we'd be calling him an old racist too

I've been watching too much Access ...
Rigsby, and Alf Garnet as played by Warrent Mitchel, were sending up those attitudes, whereas manning really was a racist.

(I can't comment on love thy neighbour as I never saw it - the wiki entry makes it sound like social commentary, but that may well be retrospective flattery.)
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:12 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Rigsby, and Alf Garnet as played by Warrent Mitchel, were sending up those attitudes, whereas manning really was a racist.

(I can't comment on love thy neighbour as I never saw it - the wiki entry makes it sound like social commentary, but that may well be retrospective flattery.)
Ah, now that raises a question. Are (the best) Sit Coms really just social commentaries AND is Stand UP comedy essentially based up on bigotry, ridicule and malice
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, now that raises a question. Are (the best) Sit Coms really just social commentaries
Pretty much ... wasn't that what I Love Lucy or the Honeymooners were about back in the B&W days?

is Stand UP comedy essentially based up on bigotry, ridicule and malice
Well ... yeah ...
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:19 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I've only ever seen him tell offensive jokes. Kind of put me off watching anything else so I'll take your word for it that he could be funny. Still, I'm not unhappy that that form of brit humour is in the past.
The point i was putting across is that it's ok for the likes of Chris Rock to be racist yet a fat northerner isn't.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, now that raises a question. Are (the best) Sit Coms really just social commentaries AND is Stand UP comedy essentially based up on bigotry, ridicule and malice
I would say no and no. Not all sitcoms are commentaries, red dwarf? black adder (well maybe the 4th is) for example. I do think comedy can be had out of social, racial or religious differences, but there is a difference between friendly or affectionate banter and outright bigotry.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
The point i was putting across is that it's ok for the likes of Chris Rock to be racist yet a fat northerner isn't.
Because the fat northerner really means it.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Are (the best) Sit Coms really just social commentaries
King of Queens and Festivus ... changed the face of the north american festive season
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Because the fat northerner really means it.
And Chris Rock?
Banned

I would say no and no. Not all sitcoms are commentaries, red dwarf? black adder (well maybe the 4th is) for example. I do think comedy can be had out of social, racial or religious differences, but there is a difference between friendly or affectionate banter and outright bigotry.
Ah now we get into the whole allegory theme dont we
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Chris Rock isn't racist.If you are referring to his "N" rant,then listen to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.