British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadians' Sense of Humour? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadians-sense-humour-630513/)

PrairieSushi Sep 18th 2009 10:38 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 7943900)
I totally agree and I thought his racist jokes weren't jokes.

Manning died back in 2007 at the age of 76.

He belonged to an earlier era when the word multiculturalism didn't even feature in dictionaries.

Nobody else here remember "Love thy Neighbour"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

Let's just say the 70's were a period of adjustment in the UK :o

Butch Cassidy Sep 18th 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi (Post 7943926)
Manning died back in 2007 at the age of 76.

He belonged to an earlier era when the word multiculturalism didn't even feature in dictionaries.

Nobody else here remember "Love thy Neighbour"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

Let's just say the 70's were a period of adjustment in the UK :o

Was it social observation or bigotry at its worst?

iaink Sep 18th 2009 10:45 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 
[mod hat on]
Yes, its the maple leaf, but try and show a little restraint and stick within the spirit of

Originally Posted by Rule 2
2. There may be places where sexually explicit, racist, obscene or vulgar language, graphics or behavior is appropriate however BritishExpats.com is NOT one of them.

I really dont want to be having to start cleaning up K-Y left right and center!
[mod hat off]



Is that clear enough?

PrairieSushi Sep 18th 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7943929)
Was it social observation or bigotry at its worst?

Probably both :o

Leonard Rossiter died two decades before Manning ... but Rigsby's reactions to Philip in Rising Damp were just as uninformed and negative ... but they were very funny for the viewing public at the time :thumbup:

Maybe if he had lived longer, we'd be calling him an old racist too :(

I've been watching too much Access ... :unsure:

PrairieSushi Sep 18th 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7943944)
Is that clear enough?

Oops :o

Bye then.

Alan2005 Sep 18th 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi (Post 7943950)
Probably both :o

Leonard Rossiter died two decades before Manning ... but Rigsby's reactions to Philip in Rising Damp were just as uninformed and negative ... but they were very funny for the viewing public at the time :thumbup:

Maybe if he had lived longer, we'd be calling him an old racist too :(

I've been watching too much Access ... :unsure:

Rigsby, and Alf Garnet as played by Warrent Mitchel, were sending up those attitudes, whereas manning really was a racist.

(I can't comment on love thy neighbour as I never saw it - the wiki entry makes it sound like social commentary, but that may well be retrospective flattery.)

Butch Cassidy Sep 18th 2009 11:12 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7943969)
Rigsby, and Alf Garnet as played by Warrent Mitchel, were sending up those attitudes, whereas manning really was a racist.

(I can't comment on love thy neighbour as I never saw it - the wiki entry makes it sound like social commentary, but that may well be retrospective flattery.)

Ah, now that raises a question. Are (the best) Sit Coms really just social commentaries AND is Stand UP comedy essentially based up on bigotry, ridicule and malice

PrairieSushi Sep 18th 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7944020)
Ah, now that raises a question. Are (the best) Sit Coms really just social commentaries

Pretty much ... wasn't that what I Love Lucy or the Honeymooners were about back in the B&W days?


Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7944020)
is Stand UP comedy essentially based up on bigotry, ridicule and malice

Well ... yeah ...

el_richo Sep 18th 2009 11:19 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7943893)
I've only ever seen him tell offensive jokes. Kind of put me off watching anything else so I'll take your word for it that he could be funny. Still, I'm not unhappy that that form of brit humour is in the past.

The point i was putting across is that it's ok for the likes of Chris Rock to be racist yet a fat northerner isn't.

Alan2005 Sep 18th 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7944020)
Ah, now that raises a question. Are (the best) Sit Coms really just social commentaries AND is Stand UP comedy essentially based up on bigotry, ridicule and malice

I would say no and no. Not all sitcoms are commentaries, red dwarf? black adder (well maybe the 4th is) for example. I do think comedy can be had out of social, racial or religious differences, but there is a difference between friendly or affectionate banter and outright bigotry.

Alan2005 Sep 18th 2009 11:23 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 7944033)
The point i was putting across is that it's ok for the likes of Chris Rock to be racist yet a fat northerner isn't.

Because the fat northerner really means it.

PrairieSushi Sep 18th 2009 11:24 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7944020)
Are (the best) Sit Coms really just social commentaries

King of Queens and Festivus ... changed the face of the north american festive season :ohmy:

el_richo Sep 18th 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7944036)
Because the fat northerner really means it.

And Chris Rock?

Butch Cassidy Sep 18th 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7944035)
I would say no and no. Not all sitcoms are commentaries, red dwarf? black adder (well maybe the 4th is) for example. I do think comedy can be had out of social, racial or religious differences, but there is a difference between friendly or affectionate banter and outright bigotry.

Ah now we get into the whole allegory theme dont we ;)

Flogger Sep 18th 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?
 

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 7944033)
The point i was putting across is that it's ok for the likes of Chris Rock to be racist yet a fat northerner isn't.

Chris Rock isn't racist.If you are referring to his "N" rant,then listen to it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:39 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.