British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadians' Sense of Humour? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadians-sense-humour-630513/)

SivoxII Sep 13th 2009 10:14 am

Canadians' Sense of Humour?

How do you find it .. some people say "raw" ... "honest" ... "direct" ... true reflection, or just a cultural response we still have to embrace?

dbd33 Sep 13th 2009 11:33 am

Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Originally Posted by SivoxII (Post 7927362)
How do you find it .. some people say "raw" ... "honest" ... "direct" ... true reflection, or just a cultural response we still have to embrace?

Inasmuch as there is a national sense of humour I'd say that's quite wrong. It's more wry amusement at humdrum events, the sort of thing one might see at the bottom of the page in the Reader's Digest.

ann m Sep 13th 2009 2:13 pm

I haven't met many Canadians who swear too much, or have a smutty sense of humour. So that's me out then.... or maybe I just haven't met the 'dirty' ones. Sorry, but toilet humour is sometimes just funny. And who doesn't like a double entrendre occasionally?

It all seems a much more genteel humour to me - they are mostly lovely, friendly and amusing, and I do laugh a lot.

It's just me with my mind in the sewer and silly sense of humour, and (what I think are my) my witty one liners get lost in amongst the tumbleweed. Never mind, eh?

Butch Cassidy Sep 13th 2009 3:01 pm

Crap in the main

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 7927720)
I haven't met many Canadians who swear too much, or have a smutty sense of humour. So that's me out then.... or maybe I just haven't met the 'dirty' ones. Sorry, but toilet humour is sometimes just funny. And who doesn't like a double entrendre occasionally?

It all seems a much more genteel humour to me - they are mostly lovely, friendly and amusing, and I do laugh a lot.

It's just me with my mind in the sewer and silly sense of humour, and (what I think are my) my witty one liners get lost in amongst the tumbleweed. Never mind, eh?

To me thats the problem, they seem to rely on the profanity as a source of amusement. No humour just inappropriate language.

Cookie Sep 13th 2009 3:12 pm

Our friends have a cracking sense of humour which is just as well because I can just be myself, and they get me.

The wifie Dignan has the most wicked sense of humour I have come across in many years - she is Glaswegian though ;) All our other friends are Canadian and when we all hang out we have a blast :thumbsup:

I find Cape Bretoners are especially quirky, likewise Newfoundlanders :D

Alan2005 Sep 13th 2009 4:01 pm

These threads come and go and as such I'm only bothering to have an overblown opinion for forms sake. But here goes....

Canadians just aren't that mischievous which explains the sense of humour they have. Not sure I'd describe it as 'wry', but dbd is spot on with the readers digest bit. When I see Canadians having fun it always seems very serious; the grimacing 'we will have fun' kind.

Jingsamichty Sep 13th 2009 5:01 pm

Generalisation of the Day, Part 79... :D

I think that the perceived lack of humour in Canadians is directly linked to their inability to be spontaneous. They like to have organization and structure in order to feel comfortable, and anything spontaneous or freeform is rather alien to them.

rae Sep 13th 2009 6:38 pm

[QUOTE=SivoxII;7927362]How do you find it .. QUOTE]

i haven't. let you know if and when i do.

Oink Sep 13th 2009 7:18 pm

Where would you be without humour.

In Canada

JonboyE Sep 13th 2009 8:04 pm

There is a CBC radio one show called The Debaters that makes me laugh. Saturdays at 1:00pm and Wednesdays at 11:30am.

PrairieSushi Sep 13th 2009 9:13 pm

How do you find it ..

Very German, but I've warmed to it.

sharkus Sep 13th 2009 9:56 pm

To me Canadian humor seems to be similar to British humor, one thing being, they "get" ironic humor

flashman Sep 13th 2009 10:09 pm

"Trailer Park Boys", Corner Gas", Little House on the Prairie", Rick Mercer Report", This Hour Has 22 Minutes" are a good start in getting an understanding of Canadian humour.

triumphguy Sep 13th 2009 10:09 pm

They are funnier than Americans!
They are funnier than Germans!
They are funnier than the French!
They have some very funny comedians. Eg., Russel Peters.
I prefer British comedy.

They don't find me that funny either!:(

PrairieSushi Sep 14th 2009 12:01 am

Originally Posted by triumphguy (Post 7928544)
They don't find me that funny either!:(

Probably something personal :o