Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:51 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Originally Posted by Oink
I actually meant all Canadians, mainly the early settlers, with the exception of aboriginals. A major aspect of the ethos of North American culture is the desire for social and material advancement. In the UK, while there are some elements of that, it's not a foundational characteristic of our culture.
That's what I thought you meant. Nearly posted earlier to that effect, but then decided against it. I think you are right btw.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:55 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
what about the non immigrants? what barriers do they suffer from? What steps should we take to correct this?
I actually meant all Canadians, mainly the early settlers, with the exception of aboriginals. A major aspect of the ethos of North American culture is the desire for social and material advancement. In the UK, while there are some elements of that, it's not a foundational characteristic of our culture.
How do we correct our class culture and start seeing past the names on peoples shirts and shoes? How can we give everyone a chance regardless of the status of their family?

Last edited by Lord Vader; Sep 17th 2009 at 3:59 am.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:08 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I also think you need to differentiate between America and Canada. The US has produced genius performers such as Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, Chris Rock etc. Canada - not so much. This probably comes down to Canada's lack of real cultural identity.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:34 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
How do we correct our class culture and start seeing past the names on peoples shirts and shoes? How can we give everyone a chance regardless of the status of their family?
It's interesting that N. Americans overwhelmingly self identify as middle class. Everyone from a school caretaker to Jay Leno, from factory worker to Bill Gates. How do you laugh at people who are essentially the same as you, just more successful?

At least with the more distinct class structure in the UK it gives us good comic material. It's funny to laugh at the idiocy of the upper classes, the pitiable sycophancy of the middle class and the bumbling militancy of the working class. In NA, the major differences are ethnicity and religion. Making fun at those just comes across as unseemly bigoted.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

PrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bsmith
Canada - not so much.
John Candy.
Dan Ackroyd.
Eugene Levy.
Jim Carey.
Mike Myers.
Seth Rogen.
Shaun Majumder.
Rick Mercer.
And of course William Shatner "singing" Rocketman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3MGN899yE).

For sure we lack comic genius ... maybe if we get bigger we'll get more recognition
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:45 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a girl i worked with in Vancouver saying she'd seen an episode of The League of Gentlemen. She couldnt quite describe how sick she found it. She still looked rattled when she was explaining it. Her reaction made me realise the difference in humour and how sick ours is.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

PrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Her reaction made me realise the difference in humour and how mature ours is.
Ever seen Gary Unmarried ... I`m not even sure it`s mature enough to rate as juvenile in the UK.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:31 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi
John Candy.
Dan Ackroyd.
Eugene Levy.
Jim Carey.
Mike Myers.
Seth Rogen.
Shaun Majumder.
Rick Mercer.
And of course William Shatner "singing" Rocketman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3MGN899yE).

For sure we lack comic genius ... maybe if we get bigger we'll get more recognition
...fair shout - Shatner is a comic genius.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I remember a girl i worked with in Vancouver saying she'd seen an episode of The League of Gentlemen. She couldnt quite describe how sick she found it. She still looked rattled when she was explaining it. Her reaction made me realise the difference in humour and how sick ours is.
In the village I come from in the UK The League of Gentlemen would be considered a documentary!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 1:42 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi
John Candy.
Dan Ackroyd.
Eugene Levy.
Jim Carey.
Mike Myers.
Seth Rogen.
Shaun Majumder.
Rick Mercer.

Dont forget russell peters! Hilarious.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtrAMK7_Qk
Old Sep 17th 2009, 1:44 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I also think you need to differentiate between America and Canada. The US has produced genius performers such as Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, Chris Rock etc. Canada - not so much. This probably comes down to Canada's lack of real cultural identity.
Why? There is very much a north american culture.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Shatner on being Canadian - not Kilingon!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:18 pm
Banned

At least with the more distinct class structure in the UK it gives us good comic material. It's funny to laugh at the idiocy of the upper classes, the pitiable sycophancy of the middle class and the bumbling militancy of the working class. In NA, the major differences are ethnicity and religion. Making fun at those just comes across as unseemly bigoted.
....although the best of the US stand-ups use these differences to great effect, from Lenny Bruce's cool New York Jew shtich, right through to Chris Rock and his famous "N" word routine. American comics seem to be able to handle these themes with a real confidence that even British performers seems to steer clear of on the whole.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

....although the best of the US stand-ups use these differences to great effect, from Lenny Bruce's cool New York Jew shtich, right through to Chris Rock and his famous "N" word routine. American comics seem to be able to handle these themes with a real confidence that even British performers seems to steer clear of on the whole.
I personally think the American comics that resort to this type of material come across as unfunny bigoted a-holes.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:36 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think the American comics that resort to this type of material come across as unfunny bigoted a-holes.
As much as british humour is based on class, yank humour is based on race. I watch jon stewart regularly and they seem obsessed by it. There's that guy who does the 'black correspondent' bit - I can kind of see why americans find it funny, it just seems odd to me though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.