Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Originally Posted by dboy
Bottom?? I left the UK in 1989 so I may not have seen it. I only watched red dwarf in the last 5 years- I know sad....

Will You Tube bottom, I may just not recognize the title.
Did I mention that I'm a MASSIVE BOTTOM FAN???.... hang on, that came out wrong?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:03 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII
Did I mention that I'm a MASSIVE BOTTOM FAN???.... hang on, that came out wrong?
ha ha !!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:31 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
So in order to prove Candians have no sense of humour you prove that "petite" Canadian women can kick the ass of "elite" British soldiers?

Isn't that a pyhrric victory of sorts?

It's quite funny though!
Some squaddies get they're ass kicked by a mental Canadian karate midget, plus, someone gets their nose bitten off! - what's not to love about that story. And as I've said before, Canadians are at their funniest when they don't mean to be.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:21 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I looove Black books - have the whole set on dvd - will lend ya at coffee - wed?? ooh and Spaced. . .
ok, another I've never heard of.... black boots - will hit you tube once more.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:03 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

books dboy, books.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:47 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
books dboy, books.
Yes Books love - shall I get you a hearing trumpet??
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:55 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think its unfair to say, carte blanche, Canadians do not a have a sense of humor, but there are definite differences in the way we express it. So, why has it developed as such?
Take kids for example, all children, irrespective of culture, seem to be born with an irrepressible need to joke around. They revel in anarchy and naturally love nonsense. But as we age (unless you're Spike Milligan) our joking around becomes more restrained and restricted.

My guess is, that as children grow up in a particular society, their joking will be met various degrees of success which is governed by a particular set of societal rules. Look for instance at Mike Myers, his parents were from Liverpool and apparently loved the Goons/Monty Python, as such, his joking around was met with approval and his sense of humour developed. From a societal perspective, the UK values jokes/joking, it oils the social cogs so to speak.
But, in North America both the gravity of survival and the immigrant desire for material achievement is such that practical concerns are much more useful than silliness. Canadian/American culture perhaps tempers the space where humour occurs naturally thus accounting for the differences.

The importance in the UK that jokes have on our ability to understand each other and thus relate on a personal and intimate level explains to some degree, why we as immigrants both complain about our host culture's lack of humour and the need to connect with other Brits. And, why this topic seems so important to us.

This has obviously been bothering me.
...Strange you should mention Mike Myers, he once commented about his native country:

"Canada is the essence of not being. - Not English, not American, it is the mathematic of not being. And a subtle flavour - we're more like celery as a flavour."

I think a lot of humour developes out of our national or regional character. Much American comedy is brash and self confident, British comedy and humour uses the old class structures, and long held regional stereotypes along with a lot of self deprication and a large pinch of surrialism.

Mike Myers may be on to something - as Canada develops an identity of it's own and becomes more comfortable in it's own skin, Canadians may begin to feel more confident and develop their own, unique sense of humour.

That said, I think Celine Dion is hysterical.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith

That said, I think Celine Dion is hysterical.
In the "excessively emotional" way...right
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
In the "excessively emotional" way...right
In the mangled Engleesh "billionaire diva who's really just like any other mom" kind of way ... 22 minutes do a great Celine.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Is Ricky Gervais funny? (Modern Brit comedian)

His Dad is Canadian!

Is Mike Meyers funny? (Modern Canadian Comedian)

His dad is from Liverpool!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:26 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Is Ricky Gervais funny? (Modern Brit comedian)

His Dad is Canadian!

Is Mike Meyers funny? (Modern Canadian Comedian)

His dad is from Liverpool!
yes/no
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I thought a lot of Canadians work "behind the scenes" in comedy - writers for the Simpsons, Seinfeld, etc. Then you have Canadians like Seth Rogen who bring that type of comedy mainstream.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
I thought a lot of Canadians work "behind the scenes" in comedy - writers for the Simpsons, Seinfeld, etc. Then you have Canadians like Seth Rogen who bring that type of comedy mainstream.
Yup, I believe there are a lot of Canadians in the production roles, behind the scenes in a lot of TV progs. Also, as most of us know, some of the biggest movies out there, which lead us to believe are shot in the USA, are actually set in Canada.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
But, in North America both the gravity of survival and the immigrant desire for material achievement is such that practical concerns are much more useful than silliness. Canadian/American culture perhaps tempers the space where humour occurs naturally thus accounting for the differences.
what about the non immigrants? what barriers do they suffer from? What steps should we take to correct this?

Last edited by Lord Vader; Sep 17th 2009 at 12:39 am.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:43 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
what about the non immigrants? what barriers do they suffer from? What steps should we take to correct this?
I actually meant all Canadians, mainly the early settlers, with the exception of aboriginals. A major aspect of the ethos of North American culture is the desire for social and material advancement. In the UK, while there are some elements of that, it's not a foundational characteristic of our culture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.