Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:02 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadians' Sense of Humour?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Holy shit! Talk about your generalisations here. So you all have met all 30 million Canadians and not found a single funny one in the lot? Maybe it's not them...It's YOU
Totally agree.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:36 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy shit! Talk about your generalisations here. So you all have met all 30 million Canadians and not found a single funny one in the lot? Maybe it's not them...It's YOU
i have to agree here, although happen I've been here too long. I find the lads at work a laugh.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:45 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

No - it's definitely them. I checked you see.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 3:03 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
i have to agree here, although happen I've been here too long. I find the lads at work a laugh.
I think the local tv weather man is having a laugh, he said it would sunny and nice this morning.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

natrum is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience is that the locals tend to find us funny in a cute kind of a way, but seldom get our humour. Sit a Canadian friend in front of a Ricky Gervais concert for maximum illustration. I think unfunny and slightly sick minded is the general opinion; but most Canadians will be too polite to say so and will just say "Have a nice day"; while our opinion might be lack of irony and too slap stick with regards to the Canadian humour. There are always exceptions of course; but take The Office for example. The differnce between the UK and American Version is obvious. They are both good but different. I have been in Canada 4 years and interestingly could not get into the sitcoms 4 years ago but now, I can. You either have to agree to disagree or grow into it. Resistance is futile.

Notice the similarities rather than the differences and here's hoping that you complain less than my hubbie and I when we first came over. We realy were the most awful drag for the first year.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You've got to admit they must have some sense of humour, look the politicians they elect.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever had a Canadian laugh at you though??

A retired builder friend laughed at me one day we were out in the truck, saying "ya can tell you're a British driver, taking square corners" ... I couldn't come back at that, as I'd probably say "that's because we drive properly" (and come over all pompous and significant) ... so I just laughed at my own expense.

Hay Hum!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII
Have you ever had a Canadian laugh at you though??
Im married to a canadian....what do you think

Personally I don't think you can generalise about a Canadian sense of humour any more than you can about a British sense of humour...

What would a British sense of humour be? Monty Python?, Little Britain?, Dads Army?, Roy Chubby Brown?, Benny Hill?, Les Dennis?, Morecombe and Wise?, Tommy Cooper?, Ricky Gervais?, Rowan Atkinson? Your old mates down the pub?....Things just dont pigeon hole as easily as that.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Things just dont pigeon hole as easily as that.
Sweeping generalization, putting people and things into pigeon holes seems to be something that Brits want to do with alarming regularity.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:13 pm

Im married to a canadian....what do you think

Personally I don't think you can generalise about a Canadian sense of humour any more than you can about a British sense of humour...

What would a British sense of humour be? Monty Python?, Little Britain?, Dads Army?, Roy Chubby Brown?, Benny Hill?, Les Dennis?, Morecombe and Wise?, Tommy Cooper?, Ricky Gervais?, Rowan Atkinson? Your old mates down the pub?....Things just dont pigeon hole as easily as that.
Of course you can. Every disparate element of the British sense of humour is encapsulated in the comic genius of Basil Brush.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Sweeping generalization, putting people and things into pigeon holes seems to be something that Brits want to do with alarming regularity.
Maybe we should make a "top ten" list of british and canadian comics

Something else we love to do....
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:24 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets not and say we did.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

... did I mention, I'm also married to a Canadian?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Top ten Canadian comedians. Wouldn't that be all of them with some places left over?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Top ten Canadian comedians. Wouldn't that be all of them with some places left over?
Depends, are you counting all those now based in the US with lucrative movie contracts, generally mistaken for americans...

Arent there at least ten is you add together the past and present casts of 22minutes and AirFarce.

Now, Im not defending those shows as particulary funny, but there certainly plenty of people in the business to chose from, ranging from Red Green, through Ron James, Colin Mochre, Rick Mercer, Mike Myers, Jim Carrie, Russel Peters, Dan Ackroyd and John Candy etc etc to Wayne and Shuster if you are of a certain generation

Last edited by iaink; Sep 14th 2009 at 8:18 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.