Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Work Atmosphere

Canadian Work Atmosphere

Old May 8th 2009, 3:44 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Work Atmosphere

Originally Posted by Ramsey
but have not the slightest clue how to make a decision or fix a problem.
I have the same issue at my place, its quite funny to watch.

My Supervisor will think for about 20 mins about where to move a certain product to make room for another. I'll suggest something then after another 15 mins he'll say the same thing but make it look like his idea Give me strength.

I do like working there though, honest.
Old May 8th 2009, 3:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
My experience of working at Telus.

Dress code is more relaxed, People do not work as hard or as smart, Less humour, Less comraderie, Lots of politics and power struggles, People not wanting to deviate from their specific job description...
And, boy, doesn't it show with some of the lousiest customer service imaginable?

It is a problem for large organizations like Telus. How do you keep the workforce focused on the company's goals? If people are not working towards a common objective they descend into the back-biting, bitching and power politics you describe. It is indicative of incompetent senior management.

I much prefer working with smaller organizations. Employees tend to have a much clearer understanding of what the organization is trying to achieve, and how their own efforts impact on its success.

However, I don't see this as a UK / Canada issue. It is pretty much endemic in all western economies.
Old May 8th 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Ive found exactly the same thing. Not sure if its just this part of the country or across the board?
I worked over in Ontario in Peterborough for a couple of years, same company I now work for, and it was completely different, everyone helped each other and worked towards the same goals. I think its a Nova Scotia thing.

The "cant accept change" thing is massive here, if one more person tells me that my predecessor (3 years ago) always used to do X Yor Z, I am going to throw them off the MacDonald Bridge!
Old May 8th 2009, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Again Ive found the same thing. The old boys club mentality here bothers me as well. Ive always been measured on my attitude and performance whilst here Im measured on who I know and how well I can a**e lick. Got to the stage where were thinking about a move else where.

Originally Posted by dormy
I worked over in Ontario in Peterborough for a couple of years, same company I now work for, and it was completely different, everyone helped each other and worked towards the same goals. I think its a Nova Scotia thing.

The "cant accept change" thing is massive here, if one more person tells me that my predecessor (3 years ago) always used to do X Yor Z, I am going to throw them off the MacDonald Bridge!
Old May 8th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Again Ive found the same thing. The old boys club mentality here bothers me as well. Ive always been measured on my attitude and performance whilst here Im measured on who I know and how well I can a**e lick. Got to the stage where were thinking about a move else where.
I'm in the same boat, have been looking towards Ontario, NS is too small, everyone knows each other and that is how jobs (on the whole) are gained. There are so few jobs that past history, performance, experience, attitude etc all count for nothing, its about how well you brown nose and who you or your sister is sleeping with etc. The Unions and the related attitudes will also destroy NS in time, they are unbearable.
Old May 8th 2009, 4:24 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

We've found it much more relaxed here than working in London, but then some of our friends work crazy hours. It all depends on your employer....
Old May 8th 2009, 6:20 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Well I am lucky then in that I work with nice people.
That's my personal experience as well. I work in a great office with good people. There's no blame culture, fine teamwork and very supportive local management. It was a very pleasant surprise after my previous experiences and I'm enjoying it tremendously. However, I've seen a few new starters who appear to be unused to working within that atmosphere and take a while to trust the team spirit. They are clearly not used to it. Even with my employer, I suspect I'd find a different atmosphere in a different office. I guess it depends on the style of leadership that prevails.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

My workplace is the Canadian version of The Office!

We certainly know how to have a good time everyday.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

allyincanada will become famous soon enoughallyincanada will become famous soon enough

I dislike the seniority thing too. Especially when you're trying to book vacation time and you can't get the time off you want as someone who has worked there for 20 years gets first choice all the time - grrr!!

The lack of humour is very noticeable, and I've worked at different places since living here.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:55 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
I have only worked in a couple of places since I have been here, but I have found in both that there is a huge blame culture. Rather than working together and helping each other, folk go out of their way to tell tales and try to catch each other out when making mistakes. Small things are blown way out of proportion, and this means a very distrusting environment.

I feel that people have very fragile ego's and will do anything, no matter how petty, to make themselves feel superior, at anyone's expense.
i have experienced this. a lot.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:55 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The seniority thing really gets me as well. You must obey what the most senior person says, even if s/he doesn't know their ass from their elbow. Very frustrating.
all the time.
Old May 8th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Wow

You all seem to have a totally different experince to us. Like Cassie's OH my OH is an engineer (civil). In UK they get a fairly hard time, probably underpaid (certainly on global market scale) , definately over worked- blame culture fairly evident , little money for training, bonuses, pay-rises etc. Its a dog eat dog situation and anyone really really senior was likely to have trampled on lots of people on the way up and eaten his granny. I work in an allied industry and I saw the way people were treated in the early 90s (at a company with a chronic blame culture) and it was fairly miserable. Over competition has made working in the industry fairly miserable too as there is no money to do anything properly or really interesting and innovative.

Not like that here. Its fabulous by comparison. Pay far better, hours far shorter, far nicer atmosphere at work, people at high grades far nicer and more holistic. Far more pizza lunches. Really find the 'corporate uniform' funny here- all these logoed outfits etc. Had lots of training since we got here etc. Sure there are some downsides to this, like getting people to actually deliver, not really really thinking about things leanly because there is no driver to, but these badpoints are definately outweighed by the good points.

Of course we could lose our jobs here- but frankly that's no different to the UK (in fact probably less likely given what we hear from friends back home)).

Both me and OH work for companies awared '50 best managed' this year. So our experiences may not be entirely representative.

Gryph
Old May 8th 2009, 8:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the people on this sub-forum work in either the UK or Canada.

It'd be interesting to analyze the times the two groups post in terms of working vs non-working hours.

<and, no, I can't be bothered unless I can get a grant>
Old May 8th 2009, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

My company is totally free and easy place to work. I want people to come to work because they like me and the place. I find we all have fun and people like me so much they work much harder. Nobody wants to work in a horrible place. Not when you spend most of your life doing it.
Old May 9th 2009, 2:51 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Most of the people on this sub-forum work in either the UK or Canada.

It'd be interesting to analyze the times the two groups post in terms of working vs non-working hours.

<and, no, I can't be bothered unless I can get a grant>
I'm sure you can get some gullible grad student to collect and crunch the data.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.