Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes

Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:27 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default If your car gets stuck in a snow drift

be careful how you attach the tow rope for recovery. (Although I think this clip shows the rope tied to the towing eye in which case it doesnt say much for the build quality of the car in question)!

http://traidor.com/movies/tonycar.wmv
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes

Having been here almost a month now, the number of people we've met who on hearing where we're from have said "You know about the winters up here, eh?" is growing daily!!
We've been told to expect -40C for at least 2 weeks at some stage over the winter!

We're also car shopping this weekend and have been told NOT to buy a car but an SUV or truck as cars don't cope here in winter.

And I'm not in East Lothian anymore, so no smart comments about Scottish weather!!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all
Default Re: If your car gets stuck in a snow drift

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
be careful how you attach the tow rope for recovery. (Although I think this clip shows the rope tied to the towing eye in which case it doesnt say much for the build quality of the car in question)!

http://traidor.com/movies/tonycar.wmv
I think the problem was more with the idiots trying to tow the car. I think those were Maryland plates from when they had the big storm there a couple of years ago. Those people have no clue about what to do in snow so I am not surprised at the outcome. My husband was really ragging on them when he watched and said they did everything wrong.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:56 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
There is a God!
Dont count your blessings yet, you might end up with Billy Mays!!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:31 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes

Some great photos peeps
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rich_007
> Beware of the ice weasels* and snow otters, they bite bad. :scared:
* pictured below in case you don't believe me.

Rich.
Look at it's teeth and claws!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:16 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was in the UK recently, the prospect of a "severe" winter was all over the papers and the subject of several overheard conversations. It made me smile. Although, temperature-wise, last winter didn't set any records, the minus-30s we had hadn't been seen for about a decade. The wind chills were brutal.

Worryingly, the 1.8m of snow we had was well below average. I had trouble finding places to put it (the banks either side of my driveway were above head-height). If we get the more typical 2.5-3m this year, I'm stuffed.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Worryingly, the 1.8m of snow we had was well below average. I had trouble finding places to put it (the banks either side of my driveway were above head-height). If we get the more typical 2.5-3m this year, I'm stuffed.
Just to highlight a difference there are places I am told south of London Ontario that rarely get a 'lot' of snow due to its location near the lakes and the wind direction etc. London seems to get quite a bit. So depends on where you are perhaps.

When I have shovelled a few days worth the UK might look more appealing?

I wonder how many die from heart attacks just clearing the stuff?
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Just to highlight a difference there are places I am told south of London Ontario that rarely get a 'lot' of snow due to its location near the lakes and the wind direction etc. London seems to get quite a bit. So depends on where you are perhaps.

When I have shovelled a few days worth the UK might look more appealing?

I wonder how many die from heart attacks just clearing the stuff?
Quite a few, I expect. It amazes me that people can be complete couch potatoes for most of the year and then think that they can start hefting heavy snow around with impunity. I'm still young and relatively fit but I take it easy the first few times and I wouldn't dream of giving up my ergonomic shovel.

You're right about that bit of Ontario. When I lived in Oakville I was struck by the differences in weather in areas just a couple of miles apart.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few, I expect. It amazes me that people can be complete couch potatoes for most of the year and then think that they can start hefting heavy snow around with impunity. I'm still young and relatively fit but I take it easy the first few times and I wouldn't dream of giving up my ergonomic shovel.

There's a new Canadian invention that converts a dishwasher for snow clearing. You buy her a shovel!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by flashman
There's a new Canadian invention that converts a dishwasher for snow clearing. You buy her a shovel!
No sex for you tonight after that!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
No sex for you tonight after that!
If I tried that one on my missus, I'd be up on the blocks for months! That's quite a few bags of frozen peas.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

I can top most everyone (except those in the North).
Halifax, February 2004 - "White Juan":

http://cs.smu.ca/~i_ogarro/blizzard2...d/DSCF0111.JPG

http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn...9/P1010012.JPG

http://darksideotmoonpulse.tripod.co...g.w300h177.jpg

Edited as I don't know how to make the pictures a reasonable (thumbnail)size, so just posted the links.

Last edited by AnyaT; Nov 3rd 2005 at 1:38 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnyaT
I can top most everyone (except those in the North).
Halifax, February 2004 - "White Juan":

http://cs.smu.ca/~i_ogarro/blizzard2...d/DSCF0111.JPG
Impressive bit of parking. Cannot see how you managed to get the car back under the snow
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:48 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived just after this one fortunately. This is the reason I have a generator and a healthy respect for freezing rain.

More pictures here

When I was driving around in the spring, every tree East of Napanee seemed to be missing its top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.