Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes

Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes

OK folks; the clocks have changed, Halloween is over and it's starting to get nippy. The git on Crappy Tire has tinsel in his beard. Let's talk Winter and see how many budding immigrants we can scare off before next Spring, which should turn up about June.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all
Default Re: Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes

Originally Posted by Souvenir
OK folks; the clocks have changed, Halloween is over and it's starting to get nippy. The git on Crappy Tire has tinsel in his beard. Let's talk Winter and see how many budding immigrants we can scare off before next Spring, which should turn up about June.
Canadian Tire recently got a new advertising agency, so we can hope they will boot the git soon and get rid of that entire annoying family.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by sysclp
Canadian Tire recently got a new advertising agency, so we can hope they will boot the git soon and get rid of that entire annoying family.
There is a God!
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...cat=500&page=1

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:33 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

...Let's talk Winter and see how many budding immigrants we can scare off before next Spring, which should turn up about June.
Weather here is forecast to go down to about -1 by weekend. Snow on the mountain tops visible from town. In the UK, 7-14 degrees. So there is a fair difference. Nothing like you boys back east get with your monster snowfalls, frozen nose hair and icicles on dangly things, -24 degrees and such like, but it's fair cold enough here to beat off a UK winter easily enough by a country mile.

Rich.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:36 pm
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice

I can't wait for my first Canadian winter as a PR. It is one of the reasons that I want to move to Canada. When else will you get all that snow and ice to play in. I spent a full winter in Whistler so I have a good idea of what to expect. While I was there it got down to minus 25 with a good dose of wind chill to boot.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:45 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Those wonderful days ahead…

Such as remembering to clean the snow off the snow blower before I put back in garage..
And leaving the ignition key in the on position or the throttle in the start position
Why???? If the f**king temp drops too far over night and freezes every thing in place so I can’t start the dam thing….

Trying to open the door and not let too much snow fall in…

Remembering where the steps are so I don’t fall down and end up face down in the snow…

Waking up an hour early so I have time to clear all the snow off the drive so it doesn’t freeze up during the day

Spend anther hour clearing the snow that fell during the day so I don’t have too much to do the next morning

Hoping that the sunny day doesn’t melt the snow so it flows under the garage door and then freeze it shut overnight..

Wishing that my the huge sheet of ice wouldn’t form across my drive because the snow that melts off the roof drops on the upper left side but my drive slops down and to the right

And as always facing that fact that no matter how good a job I do on clearing the snow, the local b******d that drives the snow plough will always leave me a three foot high wall to dig through when I least expect it
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:54 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzRob
I can't wait for my first Canadian winter as a PR. It is one of the reasons that I want to move to Canada. When else will you get all that snow and ice to play in. I spent a full winter in Whistler so I have a good idea of what to expect. While I was there it got down to minus 25 with a good dose of wind chill to boot.
I came here in January. It's fun at first. By the end of march you are absolutely F***** insane. That's why they have March break over here. It's a good murder prevention ploy...
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Considering that I moved here from a place where it might snow once every 5 years or so and a cold winter day is only about 45F, I like the winters here. I enjoy the snow and cold weather. Dress appropriately and it isn't so bad. If the snow is bad on the roads, don't go out or take public transit. Wait a few hours and it will be plowed anyway. Granted it doesn't get as cold or snow as much here in the GTA as it does in some other parts of Canada, but it I have been through -25C and survived.

It is lots of fun feeding the hungry squirrels through the back window and watching them try to run through the snow that is probably a foot deeper than they are tall. I have VERY tame squirrels here that will actually knock on the window to get your attention to feed them. :-)
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:08 pm

<imagines thousands of application forms being torn up>

My missus is already making noises about going somewhere warm. It's early November FFS! And she's a real Canadian.

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Those wonderful days ahead…

Such as remembering to clean the snow off the snow blower before I put back in garage..
And leaving the ignition key in the on position or the throttle in the start position
Why???? If the f**king temp drops too far over night and freezes every thing in place so I can’t start the dam thing….

Trying to open the door and not let too much snow fall in…

Remembering where the steps are so I don’t fall down and end up face down in the snow…

Waking up an hour early so I have time to clear all the snow off the drive so it doesn’t freeze up during the day

Spend anther hour clearing the snow that fell during the day so I don’t have too much to do the next morning

Hoping that the sunny day doesn’t melt the snow so it flows under the garage door and then freeze it shut overnight..

Wishing that my the huge sheet of ice wouldn’t form across my drive because the snow that melts off the roof drops on the upper left side but my drive slops down and to the right

And as always facing that fact that no matter how good a job I do on clearing the snow, the local b******d that drives the snow plough will always leave me a three foot high wall to dig through when I least expect it
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:11 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes

Originally Posted by OzRob
> Beware of the ice weasels* and snow otters, they bite bad. :scared:
* pictured below in case you don't believe me.

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes-laska01a.jpg  

Last edited by Rich_007; Nov 2nd 2005 at 9:22 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

For me the summer here is 100 times worse, the humidity is a killer and I was really suffering this year, I think it was the worse summer that I have been here.

The only thing I won't like about this winter is having a newborn baby in January and no car, especially in the snow, buses will be a nightmare.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Winter? Just love it. This'll be my second and I was disappointed with last years as we didnt reallty get that much snow. So probably in for a beating this year then.

Mind you last winter we lived in an appartment and had someone else to clear the drive. This year we have a house with 100ft or so of drive which is loose chippings so a snowblowers no use. I suspect local man with plow on pickup will be getting a lot of business from me!

The worst thing is getting plowed in. Mind you if you have a 4x4 it gives great drift busting potential but when you get it stuck you get it really stuck.

Oh yes and as per attached pic...if you live in a basement appartment, get used to having to dig the windows out!
Attached Thumbnails Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes-jeep2.jpg   Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes-windowsmall.jpg   Canadian winter: time to scare the wannabes-snow.jpg  

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Nov 2nd 2005 at 9:59 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

9 days until Lake Louise opens, 32 days until Nakiska opens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.