Canadian TV ?

Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian TV ?

Originally Posted by dboy
I can't believe in only got on in the last 12 months. Don't know what i did without it.

Don't get cable through telus - you can only tape one show and have to watch what you are taping! t.
Maybe so for the plebs, but for there's an easy way to watch one while recording another through Telus that doesnt require any modifications whatsoever.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

We did have cable but don't anymore, can't say I'm missing it too much to be honest as we get 3 channels with just the aerial and the channel we do watch usually has something decent on and plays the odd film here and there. If I ever want to watch anything specific I watch it online, same with my other half.

It saves us having to spend money on something we didn't really use much anyway.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

trouncer is on a distinguished road

Kristine : When you say you watch it online, I take it you must be watching specific Canadian programs you can't get from the aerial as you can't watch UK programs without a VPN connection from a provider ? (You can't use BBC iPlayer in Canada without subscription ?) or have I misunderstood ?

What are the 3 channels you get too and what type of films ?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

No there's various websites I use to watch TV shows and movies, Project Free TV is one of them, then the Discovery Channel, Comedy Network etc have online players and I also use Youtube for catching up on Topgear or the like.

You can't get any of the British online players as they recognise the IP address as non UK, although I did get the American Hulu site working for me once with an IP address masker.

We get Global TV, Global TV in French and I'm not sure what the other channel is as we usually have it on Global TV as it shows The Simpsons, Family Guy, Brothers & Sisters, etc.

I really must get a list of websites I use and post them up.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

wannabecalgarypc is an unknown quantity at this point

I never thought about how bad it was to watch a streaming movie on the internet, I always thought I am not sharing it, its here anyhow wherever I watch it or not its not going to stop. But the time I really stopped and thought about it was I looked at the Edmonton Police disclosure form about tech crime and it asks have you ever used patches and cracks and what not and I thought oh no thinking about it this version of windows I have had for like 4 years is not good I forgot and I have watched a few films on streaming and what not. I have never seeded or anything like that I don't even know how but the more I read that form the more I think oh dear I am a tech criminal I have a feeling they are going to send it back saying err no you fiend!!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

dontrush2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Keith
TVO is the best channel followed by PBS, Discovery,History,CBC, Bravo and Showcase. We do a huge amount of recording and the pause button on the DVR allows us to cut out any adds on live TV.
Exactly what he said! Thinking of going to the basic cable, and looking into maybe downloading stuff from t'internet I used to whinge about UK TV but the American channels ( and note I didn't say Canadian ones! I think that they are for the most part quite good) are dross. Oh and BTW how does CNN get away with subjudicy shows like Nancy "That Auld Slapper" Grace ? Beats me God bless the Beeb & CBC!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I think part of the issue is that Canadian TV (and American TV) has always been crap - a communal but lowest common denominator medium. Canadians are used to it so they don't expect good things to come from TV. TV in Canada has always been synonymous with mindless crap so there have always been low expectations (not unlike a supermarket tabloid). It's why most Canadians, I've noticed, don't seem to be nearly as obsessed about watching TV as you find here on this site. I've spoken to many people who don't even bother with it anymore... they don't see the point. And I don't blame them!

Last edited by Lychee; Dec 8th 2009 at 1:59 am.