Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Tire ( crappy tire ) and costco

Canadian Tire ( crappy tire ) and costco

Old Nov 16th 2005, 11:00 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough
Default Canadian Tire ( crappy tire ) and costco

I have got a rant about crappy tire and costco. Crappy tire gives you this coupons when you go into their petrol stations, but low and behold, they won't take it when next you go there, they say you can only use it in the stores, what is that all about?

Onto costco, they won't take any other credit card, just the in-store Amex that THEY try and get you to sign up for They will only take interact and cash.

In this day and age, for an institution like that not to accept all credit cards
Old Nov 16th 2005, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Edward de Par is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Canadian Tire ( crappy tire ) and costco

Originally Posted by finallygotout
I have got a rant about crappy tire and costco. Crappy tire gives you this coupons when you go into their petrol stations, but low and behold, they won't take it when next you go there, they say you can only use it in the stores, what is that all about?

Onto costco, they won't take any other credit card, just the in-store Amex that THEY try and get you to sign up for They will only take interact and cash.

In this day and age, for an institution like that not to accept all credit cards
It's all about exclusivity and keeping you going back to only them...too much competition out there. Some are foolish enough tobuy into it but others recognise what theyre up to.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

pollyw is an unknown quantity at this point

MY WIFE (WORKS THERE) SAYS THIS IS TO KEEP PRICES DOWN FOR YOU GUYS (THE PUNTERS).... SHE SAYS NO CREDIT CARD FEES/COMMISSION TO BIG BANKS KEEPS PRICES DOWN!!!

PAUL (FERGUS, ONTARIO)

Old Nov 17th 2005, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pollyw
MY WIFE (WORKS THERE) SAYS THIS IS TO KEEP PRICES DOWN FOR YOU GUYS (THE PUNTERS).... SHE SAYS NO CREDIT CARD FEES/COMMISSION TO BIG BANKS KEEPS PRICES DOWN!!!

PAUL (FERGUS, ONTARIO)
Aye right

Many companies like John Lewis, M&S etc in the UK started their own "merchant processing" or whatever it's called. Your receipt tells you what percentage you've paid to them. And I never got 2.5% taken off my bill when I paid cash, nor did I see cross-store price lowerings

It's a pain in the backside, I couldn't believe what I was hearing when the Superstore clerk said "Sorry, no Visa"...but it's not so inconvenient as to make me go elsewhere.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Similar thing at Sam's Club where they only take interact, cash, and their own credit card. Both of these are the same in the US although Sam's also takes Discover Card there, but Discover is not widely used in Canada other than at hotels.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 12:58 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion canadian tyre is a great store and I wouldnt be whinging about coupons that you CAN use inside the store.

I just remember how much youd have to fork out for car parts if canadian tyre wasnt there
Old Nov 17th 2005, 1:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
In my opinion canadian tyre is a great store and I wouldnt be whinging about coupons that you CAN use inside the store.

I just remember how much youd have to fork out for car parts if canadian tyre wasnt there
I very much dislike Canadian Tire. Narrow aisles, poor quality goods, very few employees who are fluent in English; a nasty place. Costco, otoh, I like as much as a man can like a shop but then I have an Amex card and only an Amex card.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:40 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I very much dislike Canadian Tire. Narrow aisles, poor quality goods, very few employees who are fluent in English; a nasty place. Costco, otoh, I like as much as a man can like a shop but then I have an Amex card and only an Amex card.
I cant remember the aisles its been a few years but I do wonder since you are in toronto which CT store you speak of. Ive lived all over canada and have come across a few unkempt CT stores but on the whole they would rank far better than halfords in the uk in my book

Im now really curious as to where in toronto now, please tell
Old Nov 17th 2005, 10:04 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath

I guess that is why you moved out to new south wales? CT aisles are small, and yu can never get anyone to help you out. You talk about car parts, Wal-Mart is way better and cheaper, and they take all cards.

They are called crappy tire for a reason, and it's obvious
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:39 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default In defence of Crappy

In defence of crappy tire, the quality aint bad for what you pay, certainly at least a level above walmart. Can you imagine a decent mechanic staying working for Walmart given their record for employee relations and pay?

All the stores around here are pretty well kept, and staff are typically helpful, friendly and english speaking.

Theres a lot to be said for escaping the GTA. We dont have a local Cosco though

The gas bar coupons exist for the sole purpose of getting you from the gas bar into the store, but if you have a CT mastercard (talking of store cards) you automatically get the max available CT money on purchases anyway, and dont need to bother with a wallet full of monopoly money.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: In defence of Crappy

Originally Posted by iaink
In defence of crappy tire, the quality aint bad for what you pay, certainly at least a level above walmart. Can you imagine a decent mechanic staying working for Walmart given their record for employee relations and pay?

All the stores around here are pretty well kept, and staff are typically helpful, friendly and english speaking.

Theres a lot to be said for escaping the GTA. We dont have a local Cosco though

The gas bar coupons exist for the sole purpose of getting you from the gas bar into the store, but if you have a CT mastercard (talking of store cards) you automatically get the max available CT money on purchases anyway, and dont need to bother with a wallet full of monopoly money.
In defence of my local CT, I'd have to say that the returns desk is well-staffed and very efficient. Not to mention busy. We do, unfortunately, have to use it quite often.

Be a bit wary of having your car serviced at CT. I believe that the mechanics are on commission. They have an interest in finding faults.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind Canadian Tire. We are getting a big new store in Regina - it may be open but I haven't been out to the east end for a while, which is where the new store is.

I don't go to Costco much. It ticks me off that I have to pay them $55 or whatever it is for the privilege of shopping there. I keep my card - it expired earlier this year.

Might sound stupid but they have the BEST garbage bags. They are those Kirkland things and they come in a big box and have two rolls of garbage bags in them. When I run out of garbage bags I may well go back and renew my membership. Then I can buy more garbage bags which might well last me over 2 years!

They also have some buns that my friend wants. I forget what they are called - maybe Ciabatta buns - they are triangular whole grain things. She can come with me and get some buns!!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I don't go to Costco much. It ticks me off that I have to pay them $55 or whatever it is for the privilege of shopping there. I keep my card - it expired earlier this year.
We switched to Sam's Club when they opened here as the fee is only $45 and they gave you a $30 gift card when you signed up. After 2 years, Costco finally sent us an offer that got us to go sign up with them too when they sent us a coupon to get the membership and $30 off your first purchase. For that price, we got it but won't renew for the $55 since we like Sam's better anyway. Less crowded and shorter check-out lines make a big difference plus $10 cheaper per year.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:27 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

We only go to costco for the free try'ers Me and 3 kids eat every one going at least twice. Meats ok and the odd box of Penguins comes in handy.

Get the card thru work and prices compared to other isn't all that great.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:28 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by lizwil98
They also have some buns that my friend wants. I forget what they are called - maybe Ciabatta buns - they are triangular whole grain things. She can come with me and get some buns!!
Superstore sells these - and they dont charge $55 membership for shopping there.

I have often walked around Costco only to realise there is nothing there that would induce me to spend the membership fee. Everything I have seen in the past (that I might consider purchasing) has been available in another store for a similar or lower price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.