British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadian tax returns (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadian-tax-returns-931637/)

Hurlabrick Mar 10th 2020 4:52 pm

Canadian tax returns

For others information, I have just completed my and my wife's 2019 CRA tax returns with a CPA registered tax accountant here in London, Ontario (i.e. not HR Block type).

Not overly complicated, but not simple for him. We have retained assets still in the UK, some FOREX gains, overseas interest, Canadian mutual funds with T5 and T3s etc. and UK pension income. I like to think I co-ordinated everything for him well and thoroughly.

Just cost us $300 + HST for the both of us.

Delighted with the service and pretty impressed by the cost - he seems to have done a thorough job. I would not be confident enough to do them myself using packages (although I always used to in the UK using TaxCalc).

cheeky_monkey Mar 10th 2020 5:05 pm

Re: Canadian tax returns

anybody ever gone through the appeal process with the CRA? i was audited on my 2017 &18 tax returns and they have disallowed all my vehicle expenses even though i use my car for business and i supplied a T220 from my company and all my receipts and invoices plus all my mileage logs as requested...now they are saying i owe $10k..which includes interest and added tax they say i owe on my base income... not sure how that can be as i chose the default tax thresholds ?

CanadaJimmy Mar 10th 2020 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 12818721)
anybody ever gone through the appeal process with the CRA? i was audited on my 2017 &18 tax returns and they have disallowed all my vehicle expenses even though i use my car for business and i supplied a T220 from my company and all my receipts and invoices plus all my mileage logs as requested...now they are saying i owe $10k..which includes interest and added tax they say i owe on my base income... not sure how that can be as i chose the default tax thresholds ?

I've heard good things about the Tax Payers Ombudsman, might be worth contacting them. Seems like unfair treatment to me - https://www.canada.ca/en/taxpayers-ombudsman.html

scilly Mar 10th 2020 8:35 pm

We've been audited twice although not recently.

However, in both cases our returns had been done by a registered accountant. One was a CGA and the other a CA. It was interesting to see how the two dealt with the situation ...... the CGA responded to the initial computer generated demands, the CA waited and waited until he finally was contacted by a live voice.

We sweated on that last one.

Both had the same result ............ all our claims were allowed.

I used to do our tax returns, but not when we were out of the country in 1975/76 when the CGA did them. We went to the CA on our return and the audit, and have never attempted to do themselves since then.

We didn't have a business, but OH did have honoraria, royalties on books, claims for travel, society dues, etc. in addition to salary, RRSPs etc etc etc

cheeky_monkey Mar 11th 2020 5:19 pm

lesson learned..i am meeting a registered accountant Friday..who does all our corporate audits..his initial response esp on my base income tax demand from the CRA is that something is definitely not right

JeromeEtene Mar 15th 2020 8:10 pm

Canadian tax returns

Yeah I like that. You guys have that great park with all the steps and stuff that serves pretty well as a square, what is the name of that one again?

dbd33 Mar 16th 2020 12:30 am

Originally Posted by JeromeEtene (Post 12821356)
Yeah I like that. You guys have that great park with all the steps and stuff that serves pretty well as a square, what is the name of that one again?

T5 Square?

Partially discharged Mar 16th 2020 1:33 pm

What do you think the odds are that CRA is going to delay the April 30 submission date for annual returns due to Coronavirus?

Almost Canadian Mar 16th 2020 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12821619)
What do you think the odds are that CRA is going to delay the April 30 submission date for annual returns due to Coronavirus?

None. That date is not the date that the return is due, it is the date by which any taxes owed must be paid.

Partially discharged Mar 16th 2020 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12821657)
None. That date is not the date that the return is due, it is the date by which any taxes owed must be paid.

Point taken. If you're getting a refund you can file whenever....I just thought that due date may get extended.

scilly Mar 17th 2020 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12821694)
Point taken. If you're getting a refund you can file whenever....I just thought that due date may get extended.

No reason to delay the date ........... it can all be done on the computer, no matter whether you're filing your own tax returns or using an accountant like we do.

I got an email today from their office explaining all the ways to avoid going into their office, from some methods that are beyond my easy comprehension to good old Canada Post!

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 17th 2020 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12821619)

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12822016)
No reason to delay the date ........... it can all be done on the computer, no matter whether you're filing your own tax returns or using an accountant like we do.

I got an email today from their office explaining all the ways to avoid going into their office, from some methods that are beyond my easy comprehension to good old Canada Post!

Appears they will be extending the deadline to June 1st.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...id-19-outbreak

Siouxie Mar 18th 2020 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12822548)
Appears they will be extending the deadline to June 1st.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...id-19-outbreak

:goodpost:Brilliant news, thanks!

The deadline to pay off any outstanding balances interest-free will also be extended, this time to July 31.

scilly Mar 18th 2020 4:50 am

Oh dear ........ that just gives me more time to procrastinate! :rofl:

Partially discharged Mar 18th 2020 11:53 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12822653)
Oh dear ........ that just gives me more time to procrastinate! :rofl:

Exactly...every year when my wife and I file with a day or hours to go, we say, 'ok next year we're going to file by April 1 etc and every year it seems it is the same situation. I think I've made enough payments (self employed) for 2019 so that I won't have to pay and in general I probably will be within a $1000 payment or refund.