Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian tax returns

Canadian tax returns

Old Apr 10th 2020, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

llysmabley is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Canadian tax returns

My wife and I both have UK state pensions, an MOD pension, and some NSI and ISA's. In Canada we have T3's,T5's and some mutuals with interest and capital gains. Not a great deal but on first look it seemed messy. Used Turbotax and it was straightforward. They don't show you their workings but it all comes together in the end. Did a quick Mickey mouse calculation on the basic figures and it seemed near enough as I assume they know all the rules and allowances that are too obscure for a layman to comprehend.
Good luck to all.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian tax returns

"You will not be charged late-filing penalties or interest if your 2019 individual (T1) income tax returns are filed and payments are made prior to September 1, 2020. However, we are preserving the June 1 filing deadline for T1 individuals, and the June 15 filing deadline for T1 self-employed individuals (sole-proprietors), in order to encourage filing returns in time to accurately calculate benefits, which rely on 2019 tax returns for entitlement calculation."

According to the quote above from the CRA website it looks as though 2019 individual tax returns and payments can be left until 1 Sept without attracting penalties or interest. Is this correct?
Old Jun 10th 2020, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian tax returns

Canada/UK Double Taxation - when working in the UK as a Canadian Resident (family still in Canada) CRA have previously said that UK NI contributions do not qualify as a tax according to the Canada/UK tax treaty. As anyone found a way of correcting this double taxation issue with CRA? I did wonder if the UK NI could be considered as (compulsory) health insurance and therefore would be reasonable to include it as a medical expense on the Canadian tax return?