Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian tax returns

Canadian tax returns

Old Mar 10th 2020, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian tax returns

For others information, I have just completed my and my wife's 2019 CRA tax returns with a CPA registered tax accountant here in London, Ontario (i.e. not HR Block type).

Not overly complicated, but not simple for him. We have retained assets still in the UK, some FOREX gains, overseas interest, Canadian mutual funds with T5 and T3s etc. and UK pension income. I like to think I co-ordinated everything for him well and thoroughly.

Just cost us $300 + HST for the both of us.

Delighted with the service and pretty impressed by the cost - he seems to have done a thorough job. I would not be confident enough to do them myself using packages (although I always used to in the UK using TaxCalc).
Old Mar 10th 2020, 5:05 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian tax returns

anybody ever gone through the appeal process with the CRA? i was audited on my 2017 &18 tax returns and they have disallowed all my vehicle expenses even though i use my car for business and i supplied a T220 from my company and all my receipts and invoices plus all my mileage logs as requested...now they are saying i owe $10k..which includes interest and added tax they say i owe on my base income... not sure how that can be as i chose the default tax thresholds ?
Old Mar 10th 2020, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
anybody ever gone through the appeal process with the CRA? i was audited on my 2017 &18 tax returns and they have disallowed all my vehicle expenses even though i use my car for business and i supplied a T220 from my company and all my receipts and invoices plus all my mileage logs as requested...now they are saying i owe $10k..which includes interest and added tax they say i owe on my base income... not sure how that can be as i chose the default tax thresholds ?
I've heard good things about the Tax Payers Ombudsman, might be worth contacting them. Seems like unfair treatment to me - https://www.canada.ca/en/taxpayers-ombudsman.html
Old Mar 10th 2020, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We've been audited twice although not recently.

However, in both cases our returns had been done by a registered accountant. One was a CGA and the other a CA. It was interesting to see how the two dealt with the situation ...... the CGA responded to the initial computer generated demands, the CA waited and waited until he finally was contacted by a live voice.

We sweated on that last one.

Both had the same result ............ all our claims were allowed.

I used to do our tax returns, but not when we were out of the country in 1975/76 when the CGA did them. We went to the CA on our return and the audit, and have never attempted to do themselves since then.

We didn't have a business, but OH did have honoraria, royalties on books, claims for travel, society dues, etc. in addition to salary, RRSPs etc etc etc
Old Mar 11th 2020, 5:19 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

lesson learned..i am meeting a registered accountant Friday..who does all our corporate audits..his initial response esp on my base income tax demand from the CRA is that something is definitely not right
Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:10 pm
Banned

JeromeEtene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian tax returns

Yeah I like that. You guys have that great park with all the steps and stuff that serves pretty well as a square, what is the name of that one again?
Old Mar 16th 2020, 12:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JeromeEtene
Yeah I like that. You guys have that great park with all the steps and stuff that serves pretty well as a square, what is the name of that one again?
T5 Square?
Old Mar 16th 2020, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think the odds are that CRA is going to delay the April 30 submission date for annual returns due to Coronavirus?
Old Mar 16th 2020, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
What do you think the odds are that CRA is going to delay the April 30 submission date for annual returns due to Coronavirus?
None. That date is not the date that the return is due, it is the date by which any taxes owed must be paid.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
None. That date is not the date that the return is due, it is the date by which any taxes owed must be paid.
Point taken. If you're getting a refund you can file whenever....I just thought that due date may get extended.
Old Mar 17th 2020, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Point taken. If you're getting a refund you can file whenever....I just thought that due date may get extended.
No reason to delay the date ........... it can all be done on the computer, no matter whether you're filing your own tax returns or using an accountant like we do.

I got an email today from their office explaining all the ways to avoid going into their office, from some methods that are beyond my easy comprehension to good old Canada Post!
Old Mar 17th 2020, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
No reason to delay the date ........... it can all be done on the computer, no matter whether you're filing your own tax returns or using an accountant like we do.

I got an email today from their office explaining all the ways to avoid going into their office, from some methods that are beyond my easy comprehension to good old Canada Post!
Appears they will be extending the deadline to June 1st.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...id-19-outbreak

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 17th 2020 at 10:10 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 1:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Appears they will be extending the deadline to June 1st.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...id-19-outbreak
Brilliant news, thanks!
The deadline to pay off any outstanding balances interest-free will also be extended, this time to July 31.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear ........ that just gives me more time to procrastinate!
Old Mar 18th 2020, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scilly
Oh dear ........ that just gives me more time to procrastinate!
Exactly...every year when my wife and I file with a day or hours to go, we say, 'ok next year we're going to file by April 1 etc and every year it seems it is the same situation. I think I've made enough payments (self employed) for 2019 so that I won't have to pay and in general I probably will be within a $1000 payment or refund.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.