Reload this Page >

Canadian, .. So?

Canadian, .. So?

Old Dec 7th 2004, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Pearly_Spencer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Canadian, .. So?

Originally Posted by willmore
Well, with all due respect to you, why do you stay if you dislike Canada so much? Perhaps there are greener pastures elsewhere where you might be happier?

And please don't pull the prejudice against immigrants line with me - I'm the product of immigrant parents. It's just a question.
Didn't say I disliked Canada. It has its strengths, like a lot of other countries. Overall, I'd have to say it's been quite good to me. I was talking about the fawning self-love displayed in a CBC documentary last week. Here's how it SHOULD work:- Other people (of other nationalities) say to us "Oh, you Canadians really are a nice, polite people", to which we reply, modestly blushing, "Aw shucks". But then again - humble, we're not.

As far as your 'pulling the prejudice against immigrants line', I've never felt that there was prejudice against immigrants. Now that would be pretty hypocritical, wouldn't it, since if one goes back far enough, we're all, after all, some sort of immigrant.

[QUOTE=Velouria] here here!

is the grass greener tho?... every country has their fair share of idiots and morons, its just a matter of degrees.

Didn't say anything about morons and idiots - I was commenting on a CBC documentary from last week.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 8:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pearly_Spencer
if one goes back far enough, we're all, after all, some sort of immigrant.
*pedant allert* unless you are a "first nation" canadian (PC speak for indian), and I think at least one member here is married to a first nations

Didn't say anything about morons and idiots - I was commenting on a CBC documentary from last week.
I thought the CBC was run by morons and idiots for morons and idiots

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt CBC kind of run by the government, and therefore part of its charter is to provide warm fuzzy arentwegreat propaganda for the masses? Especially if there is no hockey to keep the unwashed masses sedated.

You are right of course that really it would be nicer if other nations made an "arent these canadians nice" show, but I dont think the ratings would be good anywhere other than in Canada, so its not going to happen.

There was a wonderfull quote on a TVO documentary the other day. "We are all just sitting, waiting to die, watching television". Too bloody right. So much crap on TV a bit more was unlucky to be singled out for attention!

Last edited by iaink; Dec 7th 2004 at 8:51 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=Pearly_Spencer]Didn't say I disliked Canada. It has its strengths, like a lot of other countries. Overall, I'd have to say it's been quite good to me. I was talking about the fawning self-love displayed in a CBC documentary last week. Here's how it SHOULD work:- Other people (of other nationalities) say to us "Oh, you Canadians really are a nice, polite people", to which we reply, modestly blushing, "Aw shucks". But then again - humble, we're not.

Any feedback that I've received from people during my travels, have been exactly that.....that "Canadians are very humble", so I don't know what type of people you are associating with. My last trip to the UK, in March/April, I heard this comment all the time.

What else did you expect from a CBC documentary about Canada? Of course, the program is going to illustrate our best side - if we don't do it, who will? The Americans - don't count on it.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
*pedant allert* unless you are a "first nation" canadian (PC speak for indian), !
Agreed.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

What else did you expect from a CBC documentary about Canada? Of course, the program is going to illustrate our best side - if we don't do it, who will? The Americans - don't count on it.
Surprise, surprise; from a country's national corporation, which one might reasonably expect to be sophisticated enough to get beyond the 'touchy feely', I'd be looking for some real objectivity.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Surprise, surprise; from a country's national corporation, which one might reasonably expect to be sophisticated enough to get beyond the 'touchy feely', I'd be looking for some real objectivity.
You've been here 29 years, and you are still expecting objectivity! This isnt the BBC we are talking about
Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

You've been here 29 years, and you are still expecting objectivity! This isnt the BBC we are talking about
Quite so! It's not!!

But one can surely hope ....
Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quite so! It's not!!

But one can surely hope ....
For heaven's sake, are you just being stupid for the sake of being stupid? The CBC is run by Canadian tax dollars. What bloody type of program are they going to run....a special about how wonderful Americans are? Get a bloody life. Have you ever watched american TV and seen how they pat themselves on the back until I'm ready to throw up?

Of course the program is going to show the best of Canada you idiot, in the same way that a BBC special would show the best of the UK.

As I said to you before, perhaps you should choose a new group of friends or find somewhere to live where your comments would be more acceptable. It's obvious that you aren't happy here.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

For heaven's sake, are you just being stupid for the sake of being stupid? The CBC is run by Canadian tax dollars. What bloody type of program are they going to run....a special about how wonderful Americans are? Get a bloody life. Have you ever watched american TV and seen how they pat themselves on the back until I'm ready to throw up?

Of course the program is going to show the best of Canada you idiot, in the same way that a BBC special would show the best of the UK.
Yes indeed, a fine example of politeness and civility here.

The need to run a program that says how wonderful we are suggests an obvious insecurity. And no, the BBC does not necessarily feel the need to always show the best of the UK - and it's certainly run by British taxpayers pounds.

Finally, I really think that somebody who tries to impress by saying that they were out for a run in freezing-cold weather at 4.30 a.m. this morning is really the last person to be calling somebody an idiot.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:46 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

*pedant allert*
That's spelled alert, surely?

Originally Posted by iaink, again
unless you are a "first nation" canadian (PC speak for indian), and I think at least one member here is married to a first nations
Really? Who's that?
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:48 pm
Velouria

Originally Posted by Rhodes
That's spelled alert, surely?
*chuckles*

Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:49 pm
Velouria

Yes indeed, a fine example of politeness and civility here.

The need to run a program that says how wonderful we are suggests an obvious insecurity. And no, the BBC does not necessarily feel the need to always show the best of the UK - and it's certainly run by British taxpayers pounds.

Finally, I really think that somebody who tries to impress by saying that they were out for a run in freezing-cold weather at 4.30 a.m. this morning is really the last person to be calling somebody an idiot.
who the hell was out running at 4.30 am?? lol im still asleep then!

i cant really comment on the bbc as i often left their website feeling more miserable and depressed than when i first started reading.

and what's wrong with a bit of patting oneself on the back every now and again? better than constantly harping on about the bloody negative.

Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, I can only stand stupidity for so long, before I lose it. I can understand why you feel this way about Canadians if you annoy them in the same annoying way you are on this forum. You really do need to get a life and change your attitude.

Of course we're insecure, and Canada will continue to be that way because of the incredible influence/power of the US. I saw the show and thought it was great - and about time that we patted ourselves on the back - no one else is going to do it for us. I have seen many BBC specials and believe me they are lacking in objectivity about your country, far more than this special ever was.

My husband/I run 3x a week to try to reduce stress in our lives working from home as consultants with 2 very very active kids. I wasn't trying to impress anyone - perhaps you're just a little jealous because you can't motivate yourself to get off the couch and do something? As well, it is never freezing-cold in Victoria, it is usually damp-cold or damp-chilly.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:00 pm
Velouria

My husband/I run 3x a week to try to reduce stress in our lives working from home as consultants with 2 very very active kids. I wasn't trying to impress anyone - perhaps you're just a little jealous because you can't motivate yourself to get off the couch and do something? As well, it is never freezing-cold in Victoria, it is usually damp-cold or damp-chilly.
ok i have to stop speed reading because i missed that altogether.

hey speaking from one who finds it hard to get motivated, good on you guys! *pats you on the back and falls over from the exhaustion of just thinking about running*

Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Fit as a fiddle, my dear and very trim for an old-timer if I may say so myself. Tennis year-round (3 times/wk), gym several times/wk, golf lots in the summer, swimming etc. Must admit to the occassional Guinness, mind you. Used to run a bit - found it ..... boring.

You seem prone to jumping to conclusions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.