Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

canadian resident driving in uk on holiday

canadian resident driving in uk on holiday

Old Dec 19th 2013, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canadian resident driving in uk on holiday

Originally Posted by Dashie
Fallacy maybe, but insurance companies will also try and get out of anything that they can, something else that's commonplace. Same applies to your second paragraph. The temporary policy by Aviva pretends to cover theft etc. (which it would if you were insuring a second car of your own for example). In reality, for someone driving someone else's car, they would not as it should be covered by the owner's existing insurance. My guess is that their premiums are so high to cover those that aren't and the litigation involving such claims. Cover for third party liability doesn't usually cover the vehicle, as the third party is considered to be independent and in the case of borrowing a car that's pretty grey. An extended driver would essentially be looking for/given third party and that's all. The Aviva policy isn't selling itself as that.

Like I say, just call the existing insurer. If they won't cover one way or the other, ask them how they would feel about there being a separate policy just to cover additional drivers.
Nonsense. Section 151 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 mandates that the insurer has to pay. Here is a link to it:

Road Traffic Act 1988

I appreciate that this piece of legislation may no longer apply (it has been some years since I left England) but, if it has, I imagine that it has been replaced by something very similar.

I am amazed that, as someone that used to work for an insurer in the UK, you are not aware of this provision as, from my experience of representing insurers, it was/is the bain of their lives.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm talking about the UK. The dealer does not own the car once it leaves with the new owner, it is held as security against the loan by the finance company, either provided by the dealer, or arranged independently by the owner. When I bought a car on finance, my obligation was to the bank, not the dealer I bought it from. I suppose that technically, the car is paid for in the eyes of the dealer, because the finance company/bank/loan paid them for it. If you default on that loan, the dealer doesn't come looking for money, the finance company does.

In the same way that you can't just sell a house and run away without paying back the mortgage company. The mortgage company is noted as an interest on the property, but at no time does it legally own it or appear on the deeds. It is also not the mortgage company's responsibility to insure the property, but they will stipulate that the owner must take out insurance.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Nonsense. Section 151 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 mandates that the insurer has to pay. Here is a link to it:

Road Traffic Act 1988

I appreciate that this piece of legislation may no longer apply (it has been some years since I left England) but, if it has, I imagine that it has been replaced by something very similar.

I am amazed that, as someone that used to work for an insurer in the UK, you are not aware of this provision as, from my experience of representing insurers, it was/is the bain of their lives.
I have previously stated that the Aviva policy doesn't cover anything insured elsewhere, as per the policy wording, it is unlikely that they will consider the vehicle to be part of their third party liability when using it to borrow someone else's car, particularly when it should be insured elsewhere. I also said that they would likely establish liability for the vehicle within the policy, essentially establishing ownership/liability for the car.

If the car is owned by the policyholder, no issue except for that of dual insurance as per the wording. If the car is not owned and it's just an extension, they would expect to be able to pass the claim onto the main insurer. I did not say that they wouldn't pay, I said that they would likely make a song and dance over who was responsible.

Aware of the RTA, thank you.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by withabix
It may be more cost-effective to hire a car than change the insurance, particularly if you have a credit card that covers the insurances.

On the other topic vein discussed, the V5 (Registration Document) in the UK only shows who is the REGISTERED KEEPER.

REGISTERED KEEPER is the person responsible for paying RFL and making sure that the vehicle is insured.

It is not proof of OWNERSHIP.

V5 for vehicles on HP in the UK show the buyer as the Registered Keeper. They don't show anything else.
I was thinking the same, might be worth looking at hiring something if the insurance is that much.

What is proof of ownership if not considered to be the V5? I know it doesn't say owner on it, but as far as I'm aware, there's nothing else that does either.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm talking about the UK. The dealer does not own the car once it leaves with the new owner, it is held as security against the loan by the finance company, either provided by the dealer, or arranged independently by the owner. When I bought a car on finance, my obligation was to the bank, not the dealer I bought it from. I suppose that technically, the car is paid for in the eyes of the dealer, because the finance company/bank/loan paid them for it. If you default on that loan, the dealer doesn't come looking for money, the finance company does.
My reference to dealer was an illustrative one. In your case, it was very likely that the finance company legally owned the vehicle until such time that the financing was paid in full. You could not sell the vehicle as you did not own it.

In the same way that you can't just sell a house and run away without paying back the mortgage company. The mortgage company is noted as an interest on the property, but at no time does it legally own it or appear on the deeds. It is also not the mortgage company's responsibility to insure the property, but they will stipulate that the owner must take out insurance.
No, it is completely different. You owned the house; you granted a mortgage to the mortgage company that provides the mortgage company with remedies in the event of your default. The terms of the mortgage dictate what terms you granted to the mortgage company.

In theory, you can sell the house and run off without paying the bank. This is because you own legal title to the house
Old Dec 19th 2013, 3:21 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that this may be what is being referred to "From 14 January 2005 the FSA also regulated the motor industry, applicable when insurance products were sold in conjunction with the vehicle purchase. This regulation, which covered around 5,000 motor dealers, focused heavily on the FSA's "Treating Customers Fairly"[11] principles that were supposed to be representative of the motor dealers' trading style"

It relates to unsavory practices at dealerships.

BTW, we just had my wife's father's car insured for us to drive whilst in the UK. 70 pounds of the realm for a month, taken out by the policy holder to protect his "interest" in his own car.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

Working in insurance myself I can't see any issues with her being added as a named driver on the policy for a couple of weeks. Foreign licences are valid in the UK for 12 months from date of entry.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 11:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrFloyd
Working in insurance myself I can't see any issues with her being added as a named driver on the policy for a couple of weeks. Foreign licences are valid in the UK for 12 months from date of entry.
This is the simplest thing. In the past, in order to drive my parents' cars we have:

- done this

- changed the vehicle policy to "any driver over 25" so as to avoid having to name the visitors

- been named but using our UK license numbers (even though we had Ontario ones)

- just driven the car and said nuffink.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 3:31 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Over the past few months, I have added temporary drivers to my UK policy. Both we're using Cdn Lic. Cost was between £25 and £45 with NFU mutual.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 4:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Over the past few months, I have added temporary drivers to my UK policy. Both we're using Cdn Lic. Cost was between £25 and £45 with NFU mutual.
Just to be clear...did you inform the insurance company they were not UK residents and held Canadian DLs?
Old Dec 20th 2013, 4:18 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just to be clear...did you inform the insurance company they were not UK residents and held Canadian DLs?
One was visiting. The other is a UK resident Insurer was informed of all the facts re their residency, driving lic status and the usual raft of insurance related questions.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
One was visiting. The other is a UK resident Insurer was informed of all the facts re their residency, driving lic status and the usual raft of insurance related questions.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 5:05 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

My parents used to be able to get me covered to drive their car when I visited. The last two visits, their company refused me.
My m.i.l. is apparently still able to get coverage for my dh when he visits!

I did try telling parents they should change their insurers, but in the end I have had to rent a car.

I too found it interesting that no questions were asked about my ability to drive a manual, as I merrily kangarooed down the street!

I did consider renting an automatic, but was pissed at the price hike!!!
Old Dec 21st 2013, 1:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hubby ordered a car from Kayak...it linked him to Rentalcars.com. We hired a car for approx $240 for 12 days for a full size manual car. When the confirmation came through it was through Hertz. When we collected it at Manchester Airport it was an automatic Ford Galaxy..diesel. Not worth the hassle and cost of trying to drive someone else's car for that price.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
my ability to drive a manual, as I merrily kangarooed down the street!

I did consider renting an automatic, but was pissed at the price hike!!!

1) learn to drive a proper car

2) all European car hire firms charge double for automatics - they cost more to start with and they don't get the same volume discounts from the manufacturers.

A tip for anyone renting in the UK - if you rent at an airport branch of the big companies, you will nearly always be upgraded several groups if you book a small car (as they often don't keep them at airport branches) and quite often will get upgraded to an automatic anyway (because they keep most of their automatics at airport branches).

Last edited by withabix; Dec 21st 2013 at 2:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.